Glock 26 vs Ruger SP101.Opinions?

This is a discussion on Glock 26 vs Ruger SP101.Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a Glock 26 but with the price of ammo going up I am only able to practice with it very seldom. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock 26 vs Ruger SP101.Opinions?

I currently carry a Glock 26 but with the price of ammo going up I am only able to practice with it very seldom. I am not going to reload for it-I hate to chase brass and I cant shoot cast bullets out of it. I have recently become interested in the Ruger SP101 in .357 as a carry gun and have considered trading in my Glock on one.I cant afford to keep the Glock at this point if I decide to make the switch. I have written down a few pros and cons about switching and would like other's opinions-I have never carried a revolver for CCW.

Pros: (1)I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and I have several thousand light handloads on hand that could be used for practice with the SP101. I also have components to load several thousand more. I have several bullet molds for .357 and lots of lead to cast bullets with.This is my biggest pro.(2)Ammo versatility in a .357 and revolver. (3)American Made! (4) A great defense round.

Cons: (1) 5 rounds vs. ten (2) weighs a little more than the G26.(3) Cant get a spare body for the SP101 to use with my MTAC.(4)recoil and muzzle blast would be worse than the G26 with magnum ammo.

I handled a SP101 with the 2" barrel yesterday and liked it, but I am leaning toward the 3" barrel if I do buy one. I am torn I like my Glock, I dont like the price of ammo. What do you all think here??

it's all a matter of choice
    they are not the same gun type so that can play into it
    I like Glock , I think it is hard to beat the 26/27/33
    small frame guns.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I carry a G26 as well and I stay stick with it. You say you like it so I wouldn't change. Those 11 rounds can be very comforting. Revolver fans will always add that you don't have to worry about malfunctions with a revolver (and rightfully so). Well, your Glock will go bang when you want it to as well. They are great pistols and very very dependable and I vote for it!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

While the 357 is unbeatable in self defense, my Ruger SP101 sets in the drawer and I carry my Glock 26.

Why

I find I shoot the G26 better, and can easily hit the target multi times within 3-seconds.

But overall, itís a matter of choice, and figuring out which pistol to carry is part of the fun.

I would say it would make sense for you to go with the SP101, as long as you use your savings wisely- buy the Kuhnhausen Ruger shop manual, and parts from Brownells/any other source you can find, and be able to keep them running through thick-n-thin.

I was considering this same thing I use to have a glock 26 and liked it very much great gun. But I prefer a revolver for ccw and I love the options a .357 magnum snub nose revolver offers. Also the biggest deciding factor for me was pocket carry. to me the glock 26 while a great gun is not a pocket gun its to thick and blocky. I carry my SP101 in my right front pocket every day and have to say with my good gun belt holding my pants up,its a breeze to carry this little steel snubby.

I know a lot here prefer airweight snubs for pocket carry,and this is a very valid point. However having said that I don't feel the extra weight of the Ruger is a hindrance to pocket carry and said weight makes this little gun A LOT easier to control than an airweight gun. So to me the little bit of extra weight is worth the trade off. I'd get the Ruger sp101 its a great gun can shoot 2 calibers and even if shooting full house .357 magnums will out last its owner.

As much as you seem to enjoy your glock, you said one thing that, if i were in your shoes, would make me drop the glock and by the ruger without a second thought.

but with the price of ammo going up I am only able to practice with it very seldom
    If you are willing to, and have the capacity to handload the ruger, you are going to practice with it. If you don't practice much with your glock, you aren't going to as good with it, or as comfortable with it as a gun you shoot all the time.

I cant stress enough the value of practicing with a gun on a regular basis, and that's why I'd say lose the glock and buy the ruger.

Two Pros for the Ruger you forgot to list:
    1) It's not plastic
    2) It's not a 9mm
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

I'm lucky to get 500 rounds a year through my glock now. With all of the .357 components I have I could easily shoot 200 rounds a week. I am relly leaning in the direction of the Ruger. Still havent decided for sure though.

VIP Member

Another vote for the SP101

My new EDC is a 3 1/16" loaded with .38spl 135gr Gold Dot. I've shot everything under the sun and keep coming back to a wheelgun. It's what I originally trained with and what I'm most comfortable with.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Keep the G26. If you get rid of it, you'll end up kicking yourself later.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Quote Originally Posted by lakota View Post
    I'm lucky to get 500 rounds a year through my glock now. With all of the .357 components I have I could easily shoot 200 rounds a week. I am relly leaning in the direction of the Ruger. Still havent decided for sure though.
    I was in a very similar situation as you. I had a Glock 27 that was shot rarely. The price of .40 wasn't appealing and if I was going to spend that much money I'd rather shoot my XD-45C which I liked better anyway.

I picked up a S&W 637 for carry and thought very hard about a SP101. Now the SP101 is on my short list of guns to get as well.

I got rid of the Glock and I think you should too for the reasons you mentioned. I'd be willing to bet you don't regret it at all. I know I don't.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

It's always good to have options... I own a Glock 26, as well as a Ruger GP100, and I'm considering buying a Ruger SP101 as my next purchase. I currently reload both 9mm and .40S&W, and recently added .357/.38. On one hand you will reload .357, but not 9mm Not sure I understand that, but to each his own.

I say the more options you have for carry the better off you are going to be... guns, holster, etc... I just hope you don't get rid of your Glock 26... it's a great all around gun and very, very reliable... 10 rounds is about the minimum amount of rounds I prefer to carry in my gun right now, with at least one extra magazine, so now I'm not too sure how often I would actually carry a SP101 if I was to purchase it.

Have fun with your dilemma.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    My new EDC is a 3 1/16" loaded with .38spl 135gr Gold Dot. I've shot everything under the sun and keep coming back to a wheelgun. It's what I originally trained with and what I'm most comfortable with.
    Are you a LEO of some sort in Canada?
    Just wondering, as thought nobody could carry there?

- OS

Quote Originally Posted by lakota View Post
    ...What do you all think here??
    I love wheelguns in general, and I love my SP101 in particular.

But you know, I carry it for a couple days, and it just nags at me: 5 rounds, only 5 rounds, I only have 5 rounds.

Even my baby Kahr gives me 7, and my XD SC 11. And so I go back to my semi-autos. Just so many homeboys everywhere, and there's always 3 or more at a time.

- OS

I also agree that multiple carry options are very nice. Keep the Glock and get that Ruger SP101, because it's a fantastic revolver for concealed carry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links