Range Report USP 45

This is a discussion on Range Report USP 45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ~SIGH~ I always forget something. This time it was my digital camera! My recently married nephew was visiting from Boise Idaho and he found time ...

Thread: Range Report USP 45

Talking Range Report USP 45

~SIGH~ I always forget something. This time it was my digital camera!

My recently married nephew was visiting from Boise Idaho and he found time for his dear old uncle. We took my NEW USP 45 and my older Sig Sauer P245 to the range. Damn, I taught that kid well. This is the result of being forced to be the babysitter since I was 13. My sis is a died in the wool liberal. Her son is a died in the wool CONSERVATIVE, pro-gun, pro hunting (fills his tag every year) CCW holder. My sis STILL can't figure out what happened. Duh.

The H&K shoots like a dream. Extremely accurate, the trigger pull was smooth, long and easy. Reset was short and crisp. It seemed to me that it shoots a hair to the left at about ten yards, but otherwise oner big ragged hole at that range. Let the kid shoot it (he started off at 7yds with the Sig P245 and he had one big ragged hole dead center--when he shot the H&K he remarked that it seemed to be shooting to the left. Have to "drift" those sights a bit.

The recoil was very minimal, even with ultra-hot +P+ loads. The big difference in loads was the amount of muzzle flash. The MagSafe had the most, which surprised me. The Hornady TAP's had the least and everything else was pretty standard. I did have a light primer on some of the 230gr Golden Sabers, but discovered that just re-pulling the trigger solved the problem.

I'll be running an IDPA match with this on JAN 13th so I'll try and get some pics then. The Galco "Concealable" works well, but it needs some of the Mitch Rosen "Leather Lightning" to smooth it up some. I'll be sending off for some of that tomorrow.

I had some problems with both the H&K and the Sig seeing my front sight sharply. They both have tritiums. I think this is an age problem that's never going to get any better. Still, all my groups were roughly centered at all ranges. I'm complaining because my formerly competition tight groups seem to be spreading. Just a little bit. I feel like the Sundance Kid when he said: Can I move? I'm better when I move. LOL Let's see how I feel after the IDPA match.

I didn't get the LEM trigger because it arrived in "Variation 1" mode. My seller offered to send it back, but I opted to keep the one I got, for a couple of reasons: It seems to offer more "options" and also, the money I saved on the LEM I'm putting into a new snubbie revolver in 44sp.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Glad you like the Gun and it shot well for you

Lead Moderator
    Love my HK USP as well. How was the grip checkering? Enjoy your new HK , be it grows on ya like mine did.

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for the write up Ex - I am pretty sure if I did not have the 220 then an HK would very likely be in the pipeline.
    I think this is an age problem that's never going to get any better
    Indeed this sighting deal gradually gets way more difficult and it is something we have to work around. Familiarity goes a long way to helping IMO - the ''point feel'' that means you are close to good sights even if they are not so clear to see.

One reason I like in lower lights to see my CT dot as I line the irons -
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

just wondering did it come with 10 rounders or 12? Also did you decide on alight for it yet?

i had a Hogue handall on mine but took it off didnt like it.

If you change to night sights ya have to watch some dont have enough front sight for the usp for some reason .

I cant rember which brand had the problem

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Thx for the write up Ex - I am pretty sure if I did not have the 220 then an HK would very likely be in the pipeline.Indeed this sighting deal gradually gets way more difficult and it is something we have to work around. Familiarity goes a long way to helping IMO - the ''point feel'' that means you are close to good sights even if they are not so clear to see.

One reason I like in lower lights to see my CT dot as I line the irons -
    i so want a set of ct's to try out on something

But the cost

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Ex, Glad you got what you wanted. I sure like my HK's. I also have some problems with aging eyes. Not much can be done but it doesn't spoil the fun of shooting and I can still defend what I have to. Enjoy!

VIP Member
    My sis is a died in the wool liberal. Her son is a died in the wool CONSERVATIVE, pro-gun, pro hunting (fills his tag every year) CCW holder. My sis STILL can't figure out what happened. Duh.
    Sounds like you have the "Uncle" business down pat

The H&K shoots like a dream.
    My H&K compact is in .40 cal, but I would agree with everything you said about your .45. Congratulations!
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Mine's the same way. No matter which load I feed my USP, it shoots and functions perfectly. I love it. A little chunky for CCW, but I love it. Sometimes wandering through the woods, I just carry it on the outside. Awesome piece.

Talking Bud and Rocky...

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Just wondering did it come with 10 rounders or 12? Also did you decide on a light for it yet?

I had a Hogue handall on mine but took it off -- didn't like it.

If you change to night sights ya have to watch some don't have enough front sight for the usp for some reason .

I can't remember which brand had the problem
    Bud, It came with factory night sights that are excellent, front and rear three green dots. Also, I ordered 3 12rd mags with the gun. That did not affect the price. Helps to order from a shooting buddy. I haven't decided on a light for it, yet. I'm still thinking about a light/laser combo, maybe. It's okay, I have time.

Rocky, you're correct, the grips did not faze me. I won't go for the hand-all, as I think it will cause the cover garment to hang up. But I'm going to need some of the Mitch Rosen Leather Lightning, for that Galco holster.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The Sig/HK shoot to the left difference may be grip and trigger differences. I shoot the HK a bit right if I switch quickly between the two - there's something about the length of pull and trigger shape itself that takes a moment to get used to again.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    The Sig/HK shoot to the left difference may be grip and trigger differences. I shoot the HK a bit right if I switch quickly between the two - there's something about the length of pull and trigger shape itself that takes a moment to get used to again.

Yeah the trigger shapes does a have a noticable different feel, but I shoot both brands the same. I need a little more time with my HK compact, I haven't shot it enough.
    Come to think about it, I'll never be able to shoot any of my guns enough.
    It's tough being a GUN JUNKIE!
    Rehab, No Thank You!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Links