Choosing a 1911

Choosing a 1911

This is a discussion on Choosing a 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like some advice from the experts on the forum. The wife decided I should get my X-mas present a little early this year. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a 1911

Choosing a 1911

I would like some advice from the experts on the forum. The wife decided I should get my X-mas present a little early this year. She's afraid that the kool-aid drinkers are going to win (looks like they may) and if they do gun prices will go through the roof. So, she's gonna let me get my present before the election.

Out of all the guns I have, I realized I'm missing a nice 1911, and I need to correct this intolerable condition. I do have a couple requirements for the gun, first it must have a ambi safety (I'm a lefty), second I want it in stainless. Also my price range is $800-900. I've read JDs blog on 1911s (hoping he will chime in here) and with his unknowing help narrowed it down to 2 choices (if anyone has other suggestions please reply).

Springfield Model PI9132LP Loaded Springfield Armory

or

Smith & Wesson SW1911 Model #108284 Product: Model SW1911 Pistol

Is there anything about these two guns (features, fit & finish, quality) that puts one above the other. I'm kind of leaning towards the Springer (big fan) but thought I'd ask for opinions here before I drop a wad of cash.

To be honest I've always hated all those Boogers vs. Snot posts. Most of them have been posted a million times and if they would take the time to use the search function they would already have their answers. Now I'm one of the guilty ones. Thanks for the replies.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

JD
    Administrator
    Spooter,

I'm glad you found the articles helpful.

Looking at the two you have listed, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Both have great warranties, both are equipped about the same.

Buds has the S&W listed @ $810 delivered, the Springfield Loaded Target is not listed there, but it should also be within the price range. You might want to give CDNN a call and see what they price the Springer at, I know I priced a Loaded Target a while back and the price was very good, I'll see if I can find the quoted price from a few months ago, it will probably be a little higher now, but should give you a good estimate.

I would take the Springfield as I don't really care for the two tone appearance of the S&W, but that's a personal decision.
    Both are going to have the full guide rod, which I would remove as it gives no real advantage.

Some would take either model due to the different extractors, the Smith has the external (Kimber had issues with this, but it seems S&W did it right) and the Springer has the original internal extractor.

On the Springer I would take out the locking mainspring housing, I don't think the S&W 1911s have an internal lock, but I could be wrong.

Another small detail that I find annoying with the S&W guns is that if they don't have the magazine disconnect, they have the guns marked "Gun can fire with magazine removed" or some such text, I just think it looks tacky.

Both guns are great, this one all comes down to personal preference.

*ETA* Back in March CDNN had the Loaded Target for under $800.

Thanks JD, I was hoping you would see the post. I found your articles very helpful.

Buds does have the springer model, you have to hunt for it though. They have it listed for $887.

I did notice the ext. extractor on the smith. I also read somewhere about Kimbers problems with it. That was one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Springer.

I have to admit the Springer is one damn nice looking 1911 and their customer service is one of the best in the industry. I'll check out the other site you mentioned and get a price. Thanks
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    spooter, If you are marrowed down to a choice between those 2 guns, I can give you any help. If your still open to other guns, you might want to look at the Taurus 1911 SS.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just bought at Dan Wesson CBOB .45 for $890 at my local gun shop. Brand new, they originally wanted $900. I knocked 10 off, which isnt really much but I will take it.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I have the Springfield Loaded w/ adjustable sights, except mine is in Black Stainless. I haven't had any problems at all, and I haven't found anything it won't feed reliably. The accuracy is really good from a sandbag rest.

I see no need to swap out the locking mainspring housing. But I did swap out the full-length guide rod to facilitate field-stripping. WOW! I love the 1911 platform!
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Thanks JD, I was hoping you would see the post. I found your articles very helpful.

Buds does have the springer model, you have to hunt for it though. They have it listed for $887.

I did notice the ext. extractor on the smith. I also read somewhere about Kimbers problems with it. That was one of the reasons I was leaning towards the Springer.

I have to admit the Springer is one damn nice looking 1911 and their customer service is one of the best in the industry. I'll check out the other site you mentioned and get a price. Thanks
    You'll have to call CDNN, they don't list guns on their website.

So why do you want the adjustable sights?

Yeah, don't rule out the Colt XSE's. I've got one of their Combat Commanders and it is pretty sweet out of the box.

I know I already replied, but check out my thread a few down. I looked at buying a Colt XSE for carry, gun felt great and stood like a Colt but it just did not feel right in my hand. Hard to explain, its just that gut feeling I gut when I picked it up and ran through it.

I second Springfield 1911s though. They are great guns and their warranty is incredible.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cbob-45-a.html

Administrator
    Thats cool you want a 1911, I love them too, but are you sure you want your pre election gun purchase to be a "low capacity and outdated" gun?
    "Just blame Sixto"

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Either weapon will serve you very well without any modifications needed. I have both Springfield and Smith & Wesson 1911's and the one I carry most is the Smith & Wesson. The Springfield is a great 1911 but it ultimately boils down to personal choice. The all stainless Loaded Champion is just too heavy for EDC for me. Any chance you can rent these guns at a local range so that you can try them?

This is one of my S&W's:
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

NEVER turn down a chance when Mama say's buy a gun! But I agree with part of Sixto's post above. I don't think 1911's will be hard to find. I'm a 1911 lover, and if I thought that, I'd be investing in more of them. I do believe that AR's, AK's, maybe even hi-cap pistols could be on the chopping block. Absolutely stock up on magazines and ammo. I think ammo will be the next target of the anti's. If you've got plenty of the above, you NEED a 1911. I was soured on S&W's autos years ago with their line of boat anchors, and have no experience with their 1911. I do prefer an internal extractor that I can tune or replace myself if needed. I detest how Springfield pretends to be the oldest armory in the US, while they're being built overseas. I love my original series Kimbers, but if you're only going to have one 1911, everyone has to own a Colt. Shoot it the way it is, send it off for a custom build, or do it slowly over time. Owning a Colt is in the rule book.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You'll have to call CDNN, they don't list guns on their website.

So why do you want the adjustable sights?
    Don't really have a pref on the adjustable sights. This isn't going to be a EDC, only occasionally, so I'm not to worried about knocking the sights out. If I find that I am carrying the alot I may throw some night sights on it. I'll have to check the safe but I think I have a set of night sights for a springer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links