Bought a DW CBOB in .45

This is a discussion on Bought a DW CBOB in .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I went to the gun store yesterday in hopes to fondle 3 1911s for my next carry gun. DW CBOB, Colt XSE, Springfield EMP. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a DW CBOB in .45

Bought a DW CBOB in .45

Well, I went to the gun store yesterday in hopes to fondle 3 1911s for my next carry gun. DW CBOB, Colt XSE, Springfield EMP.

---The EMP was awesome with its size but the grip corner dug into the palm of my hand. Sure I could try and find someone to bobtail it or just mill the edges softer but then it would probably sit weird. So I turned it down; yes I know, carry guns are not always the best range guns. However, I plan to shoot IDPA with which ever gun I purchased. So, scratch EMP off the list.

---Next up, Colt XSE. Gun felt solid, had ambi safeties (not a fan) and had a nice clean breaking trigger. Still though, the grip was not sitting right. It seemed I was in need of having something done to these dang grip backs which led right into my final finger fondling fun.

---DW CBOB. Boy I did not expect it to be as awesome as it was. Perfectly tucks in my hand, the bobtail feels amazing, something that all my 1911s will need to have done. She felt great in the hand, almost had no weight to it at all.

2 were booted from the group of wants, so the CBOB wins out. I wasn't really sure if I wanted to pull the trigger yet on the purchase. But I was inclined to ask if they had an unfondled one in the back. The store rep asked why I didn't want the one in my hand, well, the slide was scuffed up and it looked like the gun had probably been cycled over 500 times without ever seeing a bullet. Something about seeing a 1911 newbie trying to force open a slide with the safety on just doesn't sit right with me when it comes to carrying for my own safety. Nor does a salesman who says he will knock $10 off if I take the shelf gun. Boy, that seems like a huge deal to me. He then said or he can raise the untouched gun $10 to offset a $20 difference. So I flat out told him if he did that I will walk out. This is not the first time I have seen salesman pull something like this.

Maybe they think I am just young and will go for the deal, but please you are talking about a early 20s male who has opened his own business and is working on another one. Silly deals do nothing for me. So I swapped it back at him, take the money off the new one or I walk. Well, I am now the proud owner of an untouched still wrapped DW CBOB in .45. I just got off the phone with Comp-Tac as well ordering a MTAC. I hope the M is as good or better than their C-Tacs that I use now.

Full pictures to come as well as a range report. I am trying to get all my shooting buddies to come along so we can get 500+ rounds through her. I can only hope I am not number 6 of 2000 who has a hammer break for no apparent reason.

Oh yeah, as for price. $880 out the door. I could have probably hounded for more off, but with Buds and everyone else looking for $920+ then you add shipping if needed and a $30 FFL charge. I made out quite well.

Be safe.

2. Remove Ads

Good for you! I have always wanted one!

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie

Nice gun, I've always wanted one of those.

He then said or he can raise the untouched gun $10 to offset a $20 difference.
    That's where I would have been out the door. You're kinder than me.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Almost submited a bid today for one on gunbroker.com, but stopped at the last second. Am moving into a new apartment in the next few days so i WILL HAVE TO WAIT.

I held a local one too, but they wanted almost 1k for it.
    congrats on a great pistola
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    That's where I would have been out the door. You're kinder than me.
    Well, I was about 30seconds from walking out the door. I figured I would just throw my offer on the table. He took it and frankly, I still saved $60 or more on that deal.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Will get pics up tomorrow hopefully.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Nice price. I sold a lightly used one for $750 a year ago.

Add some Ed Brown parts and mags, and they can look very nice.

Be sure to hand cycle the slide about 500 times to loosen it up, or just go shoot it.

CBOB Review and pics:
    http://www.angelfire.com/amiga2/czid/DW.html
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Nice price. I sold a lightly used one for $750 a year ago.

Add some Ed Brown parts and mags, and they can look very nice.

Be sure to hand cycle the slide about 500 times to loosen it up, or just go shoot it.

CBOB Review and pics:
    http://www.angelfire.com/amiga2/czid/DW.html

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I will definitely hand cycle the slide a bunch. I will probably put 50 rounds through it at the range tomorrow or Thursday and then completely clean and lube it. Next week I have 5-7 people who are coming to the range to run a bunch of ammo through it. I want to put at min 750, but really want 1000 rounds through it before I put it on my hip.

The Ed Brown parts will come later once I work any bugs out as to not ruin the warranty.

What was your reason for selling?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    You made a very wise choice! The Dan Wesson 1911's are outstanding values in what is basically a semi-custom 1911. The CBOB's are a fine pick for CCW.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

You got yourself a fantastic sidearm...
    Congrats!

We'll be waiting...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    The DW ran fine, nothing wrong with it. Found a couple CZs that I just needed to have more than the CBOB.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe it's my headache, but could somebody please unscramble DW CBOB for me?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Dan Wesson Commander bobtail (I think)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. Regis, that is my final answer.

I think I'm right, IDK.
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

VIP Member
    HA HA I beat you. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Or is it CBOB=Classic Bobtail?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links