Picked up a new single action .40S&W

This is a discussion on Picked up a new single action .40S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A NIB 2004 Browning Hi-Power Practical in .40S&W. This is my first Hi-Power, though I have shot some of my friends' Hi-powers (in 9mm) in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a new single action .40S&W

Picked up a new single action .40S&W

A NIB 2004 Browning Hi-Power Practical in .40S&W. This is my first Hi-Power, though I have shot some of my friends' Hi-powers (in 9mm) in the past. I really like the looks of the two-tone Practical models a lot. I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. I changed out the Pachmayr wrap-around signature grips out for Hogue finger groove wrap-arounds (I like how the Hogue Grips fell and look over the Pachmayr grips). I know the .40 version is going to have a little more recoil than the normal 9mm version, but I don't think I'm going to mind. I also now have four 10rd mags for it. I decided for now to keep the mag disconnect safety in, might change my mind after a while and get it removed (the trigger doesn't seem too bad (IMHO) with it in right now and maybe it will smooth out more after 500-1,000 rounds or so). I can't believe FN/Browning are not making/importing these Practical models anymore, what a shame (IMHO). Here are a few pics I took of it:

2. Remove Ads

Say! That's pretty sweet! I wouldn't mind having one of those! Very nice indeed!

1943 - 2009
    Two-tone is in! Very nice!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Very nice and almost as pretty as a S & W Model 10, Military & Police.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Interesante.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I had a 'practical' in 40, one of the most accurate pistols I've owned. I sold it because I couldn't find a holster for it, and there was only 10 rnd mags available for it. This was before I was 'internet wise', you can find good holsters now, and now I know it's not hard to 'convert' a 9mm mag into a 40 S&W. back then there was a good supply of Argentine 15rnd mags on the market that could've been modified to fit 13rnds of 40 (it's still to big for me as a 10rnd pistol). BTW, Mine was made/or assembled in Morgan, Utah.

Still.. enjoy that great pistol, it is built to last more than a lifetime.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

That's my idea of a proper .40 S&W.

Thanks for all the congrats. Ten round mags don't bother me too much for this Hi-power, since I'm going to just use it as a range gun only. Though, I might later toy with the idea of finding a good IWB holster for it after all.

Very NICE Practical

I started with a bright blued .40 S&W BHP as the basis for a custom I always wanted to have. Mine has a ton of "tricks" (KKM .357 Sig barrel, C&S; thumb safety, wide trigger, forged hammer/sear, reduced-effort transfer bar, thin Micarta grips, Pachmyer extended slide release, etc., etc.) and is my favorite fight gun. Congratulations on your fine-looking Practical. Of all the things I've had done ($$$$!) to get it just the way I wanted, the one thing I would recommend for any/everyone with a BHP is the C&S thumb safety. When installed correctly, its ball-detend feature gives a real improvement over the small, sometimes-mushy factory safety. I have serious confidence in the now well-defined "click-click" that; the lever is going to stay where I put it & I can find it in a hurry. I also agree that the 10+1 mag isn't a handicap (after all, it's not like your carrying a derringer!). I'm happy to exchange the lack of 4-6 rounds of non-reload capacity for the handling, feel, shot recovery & accuracy I (personally) get when shooting a BHP. There's NO handgun ANY where that feels more welcoming to my grip.

But you need to be careful. I hate to admit this but I'm now so fond (and have considerable investment) in my BHP that I've bought "lesser" handguns to keep in the truck & sometimes CARRY! The thought of someone stealing (or confiscating as evidence) my BHP has turned it into less of a tool & more of a jewel. That's just stupid!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Ghost tracker, Do you have any pics of your custom .40 BHP that you could post? Sounds like a sweet pistol. Thanks.

AZG13,
    Nice of you to ask. I'll see what I can do...but;
    * I've never posted a photo of any kind to anywhere, ever. (lazy, old guy)
    * This thread is about YOUR new BHP Practical, not my Custom.
    * The real goodies on my BHP are primarily internal.

And if you weren't the OP who's asking, I would consider my posting a photo of MY BHP an act of aggressive thread piracy...but I guess, since it's you, and high time I learn at least how to DO it, I'll see if I can acquire a new skill! (now, where does Mrs. Ghost Tracker keep that new-fangled, fancy-schmancy digital doo-dad?)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Nice gun !!

Ghost tracker, Don't sweat it if it's going to be too much trouble.

In MHO the BHP is the best all around handgun ever built, the grip, the accuracy, the high-cap mags, the dependability of knowing it will always fire and fire again, plus the aftermarket add-ons make it almost unbeatable. I have both 9mm and .40 S&W and know full well that if called on it will deliver. Congrats on your new tool.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Ghost tracker, Don't sweat it if it's going to be too much trouble.
    Oh, now you're just being way too polite. Cut that crap out! I really WANT to learn how to do this ("Old Dog, New Tricks"). My teenage son recently shocked me by running the caller ID from the phone...as a scroll across the bottom of the TV show I was watching! I've really GOT to get up to speed on this stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links