Cant decide what to buy!

This is a discussion on Cant decide what to buy! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased the XDM in .40 a while ago, but it's just too damn big to carry all the time, so I've been shopping around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cant decide what to buy!

Cant decide what to buy!

I purchased the XDM in .40 a while ago, but it's just too damn big to carry all the time, so I've been shopping around a bit. Right now the two options I'm looking at are the XD sub compact in 9mm or .40 for 479.00 or at another shop they have a Sig p239 in 9mm which spent some time as a LE carry weapon for 339.00. The Sig is in decent shape, some wear on the blueing, but seems to be well maintained. I'm not crazy about a mag capacity of only 8 when the XDs hold 16 in 9mm and 12 in .40. Right now I am leaning towards the 9mm XD subcompact, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've had several SIGs so I'd go with the SIG P-239 myself. You'd never be sorry.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Well, its no secret that the Sig is the better gun, however, I think you are barking up the wrong tree with both if you want the ultimate carry everywhere pistol.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm open to suggestion as to other weapons. I'm looking for something relatively small, but with a decent grip size due to my big meathook hands. Preferably not a wheelgun as i have some nerve damage in my primary shooting hand that has caused some loss of strength and dont do well with a heavy trigger pull. The subcompact XD is a little small, but with the grip extension will work in my hand.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve View Post
    I'm open to suggestion as to other weapons. I'm looking for something relatively small, but with a decent grip size due to my big meathook hands. Preferably not a wheelgun as i have some nerve damage in my primary shooting hand that has caused some loss of strength and dont do well with a heavy trigger pull. The subcompact XD is a little small, but with the grip extension will work in my hand.

In that case, I'd check out the Kahr line. I'd also check out the M&P compact.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I gotta say, I used to carry an xd 40sc, which is the same size as the 9mm subcompact. That gun felt like I was carrying a brick on my hip. Maybe it was just me, but that had to be the absolutely most uncomgortable gun I have ever carried. It shot nicely, was hugely reliable, but man it was tough to strap on daily. I carried it in a crossbreed supertuck hanging on a beltman belt. It was chunky, heave, and just never sat right. Before that I had carried an M&P compact in an identical rig, that carried great, I have been carrying my friends glock 27 lately as I am getting my Defender up to carry status, and I have to say, I am seriously drooling over getting a glock 26/27 of my own. I would look at the Glocks. The xd is a nice gun, but when you compare the xd subcompact guns, with the glocks, the difference is night and day. Right now I switch between carrying my wifes Bersa in a high-noon, my j-frame in a Mika and my friends g27 in a high-noon. Out of the three the g26 carries the easiest and that's in a cheapo holster(no offense meant high-noon). As much as I like the reliability of the xd and the grip safety is nice, I hated carrying that thing. Kahrs are nice but may be skinny for big hands, the g19 or similiar size in .40 would be a good choice too. I kinda miss my M&P, that was a nice gun and I regret parting with it.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Glock 27. If the nerve damage is that bad, Glock 26.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Let's see...the XDM .40 is more than you wanna' pack everyday. You like high capacity. You've got big mits, but with a bit of injury & trigger-weight concern. Not wild about wheelguns. Oh, this is a target-rich environment for handgun opinionators!

The XD subcompact is a nice choice. Use the short factory mag for compact carry advantage while in the holster. But carry full size XD mags (with A&G adapter) for reloads. That way, you're mag purchases are interchangable, you keep consistancy between your pistols on trigger characteristics & controls. You then have high capacity in your compact IF a reload is required.

But if I were exactly in your shoes...I would also consider a MUCH lighter, MUCH smaller pistol as an alternative to compliment my existing carry options (XDM). Maybe a Kahr P9 (if I could tolerate lower capacity) and install a Hogue slip-on to thicken the grip a bit. Your finger will love the pull, but the re-set is kinda' long.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I would say a sub compact Glock, for 30.00 drop a 4lb trigger in it- (caliber is your call, nerve damage you may want a 9mm- easier to control) I prefer .40 however.

My only argument against the M&P is that no matter what you want parts wise you have to order from the factory, and the parts (firing pins etc) are special made for each gun. I dont like not being able to easily switch parts.
    Rule of Honor

I prefer 9mm because I can train more and practice more with it!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaSteve View Post
    Although I am a Glock fan, I now carry a Kel-Tec PF9 a good amount of the time. It carries/conceals the best in class.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    In your situation as described, I'd look at the Glock 26 or the Sig (in reverse order). I think that will be a good compromise. There is no perfect utopian one-pistol-does-everything out there (IMHO).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Good price on Sig!

That $339 price you mentioned for a used Sig P239 sounds very attractive. I have a 9mm P239 and like it very much. It is reliable, accurate, conceals easily and has very little recoil. I don't mind the 8+1 capacity and always carry a spare magazine.

I see that you are in Roswell, New Mexico. I will refrain from making the obvious joke about hostile space aliens.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I see that you are in Roswell, New Mexico. I will refrain from making the obvious joke about hostile space aliens.
    So what do we use for them? Silver? Holy Water? or...
    Rule of Honor

With large hands, I'd go with the G19 if you like 9mm. Much more shootable than the subcompact to me, yet still easy to conceal. I'm impressed with the G32...same compact size in .357 Sig. You can get a drop-in 9mm barrel conversion for cheap practice too.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links