Ruger LCP Recall

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP Recall within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods -- you may want to sticky this. Ruger - LCP™ Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice Hoss From Ruger web site: Ruger has recently ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP Recall

Ruger LCP Recall

Mods -- you may want to sticky this.

Ruger - LCP™ Product Safety Warning and Recall Notice

Hoss

From Ruger web site:

Ruger has recently received a small number of reports from the field indicating that LCP pistols can discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. We are firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all older LCP Pistols. The retrofit involves installation of an upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge to the customer.
    Retrofitted LCP

We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. Any gun may fire if dropped or struck.

How to determine if your pistol needs the retrofit: All LCP pistols bearing prefix “370” (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted “370” prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as show to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix “371” (serial number 371-xxxxx). Pistols with the “371” prefix are not affected.

How to arrange to have your pistol retrofitted:
    Step 1 - Contact us and provide your name, address, telephone number and LCP serial number.
    To sign up for the FREE safety upgrade:

Click Here to sign up immediately using the on-line form.

You may also sign up by using any of these alternative methods:
    E-mail: LCPRecall@ruger.com
    Fax: (928) 541-8873
    Phone: LCP Recall Hotline
    1-800-784-3701
    (available Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT)

Step 2 - The new parts are being built and we will retrofit LCP pistols on a first-come, first-served basis as soon as they are available. When we are ready to retrofit your pistol, we will send you a shipping label and package with instructions so you can return your pistol to us FREE of charge.

Step 3 - We will install the new hammer mechanism, plus some other functional upgrades that we added since the LCP’s introduction, and return your LCP to you, all FREE of charge. When we do, we also will send you a FREE magazine with the new finger grip extension as a “thank you” for your patience and cooperation. We will make every effort to return your pistol within one week of receipt.

Thank you,
    Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

I told you so...months ago!
    Better than my KelTec P3-AT? Perhaps, but I'd let them work out the bugs first...OMO, obviously...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As the owner of a SR9...d'oh!

-JT

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Step 3 - We will install the new hammer mechanism, plus some other functional upgrades that we added since the LCP’s introduction, and return your LCP to you, all FREE of charge.
    I wonder if this means it will get a 'safe action' style trigger safety too?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Important notice - Ruger LCP RECALL !

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    If you hit the "more" button on the notice you get a popup
    window which ALSO includes this statement.....
    ------
    "We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. Any gun may fire if dropped or struck."
    ---------
    Yeah....... right..........
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    If you hit the "more" button on the notice you get a popup
    window which ALSO includes this statement.....
    ------
    "We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. Any gun may fire if dropped or struck."
    ---------
    Yeah....... right..........
    LOL yeah...my 1911 won't ever fire if I drop it, my Glock, my HK, an M&P, an XD, Beretta, IMI Baby Eagle, not necessary to go on but you get the point.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My LCP is part of the recall. I already requested a shipping box. I trust Ruger will have a speedy turn-around.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    sold mine to build a 1911!
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I requested to get my LCP repaired. I also heard on another site, that they talked to Ruger, and they are going to do the mod for peening also.

Cool. I was just about to order one of those new finger extension mags, too. Now it looks like I won't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I told you so...months ago!
    Better than my KelTec P3-AT? Perhaps, but I'd let them work out the bugs first...OMO, obviously...
    Right there with you. I remember all the "it's a Ruger, so it will be perfect, 'I own 10 Rugers and they are built like tanks'" threads, and I've always said, from day one with a pistol this small there are going to be issues with some of them. Some user related, some mfgr related. Why not go with a company that has been producing them for over 5 years.

I will say I'm sure Ruger will take care of there customers, just like Kel Tec has.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Just got a Kel Tec 380,... 80 rounds so far with no malfuctions.
    Readily available for $270.00 plus change. The factory is in my area and I've heard that if something goes wrong with the gun, they will fix it "while you wait"...I like that!
    When in doubt, wup it out....

well mine has to go back too i am "in line" now, i guess the free mag is keeping me a little cooler about the whole deal, i needed to send it back anyways because it wont feed hollowpoints 100% of the time, ball ammo runs fine i am willing to give this thing a chance, all you guys with kel-tecs rubbing the lcp recall in our face are forgetting about all the issues the p32 and p3at had, i have owned 2 kel-tecs in the past and they are not perfect, one had to go back to get fixed, i have read of many other having problems with kel-tecs. that said these are only machines, Kel Tec should have had done better on the P3AT peening and the PF 9 pin failure/frame replacement. I am happy Kel Tec does stand behind their product but these problems were design related not user and call tags should have gone out on every one, you should not have to ask to be reimbursed after the fact. At least Ruger is doing the right thing

I wonmder why they didnt just notify owners instead of me stumbling the recall across it here and having to call them? As soon as I gave them the serial# they knew who I was.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links