Glock 27 slide sticking open...

This is a discussion on Glock 27 slide sticking open... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I brought my brand new G27 out to the range tonight to do some firing. I only had one mag with me so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 slide sticking open...

Hi everyone,
    I brought my brand new G27 out to the range tonight to do some firing. I only had one mag with me so it was a quick trip for sure. After firing off 5 rounds I shot the 6th round and the slide stayed open much like it would had the mag been empty. A simple pull backwards on the slide chambered the round and all was fine. this happened on my 6,7,8 shot. I'm shooting with Winchester 180gr FMJ's.

Any ideas on what's going on? Should I have the gun checked out? is it because it's the first time shooting it and it needs a break in period? or is the ammo?

any advice would be appreciated
    thanks
    Brad

B52
    Did you clean it first?

you know...I didn't because it was the first time I'd shot it and figured it must be clean. Apparently not?

Administrator
    Not being clean could be the issue, but probably not. I'd bet my money on you having your thumb in the way, riding on the slide stop.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    The manuals for every gun I have bought (Glock included) all say to clean and lube before firing for the first time. I'm not sure how much of that is actual necessity and how much of it is CYA BS, but that IS what the manuals say.

Did you buy it new or used?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

B52
    Glocks ship with a thick copper looking lubricant. Break the pistol down and use some CLP or what ever gun lube you prefer and clean as the manual states...Then try the pistol out again. Also SIXTO makes a great point about thumb placement.

You may be limp wristing it. If you're not holding the weapon firmly enough your not allowing the slide to cycle completely. I own several Glocks and they all worked flawlessly through any break in periods. I don't think that it is the ammo either.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Those baby Glocks do take a firm hold to function properly. Any friction on the slide or stop will cause the same problems you're describing. Give it a good cleaning and another chance.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Your magazine top edge is pushing up on the slide lock for some reason or the slide lock spring isn't fully seated in the notch on the trigger pin, or your rounds didn't stagger correctly in the mag. I'll assume you have a factory 9 round mag and have fully seated it in the pistol. Limp wristing is another good possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Your magazine top edge is pushing up on the slide lock for some reason or the slide lock spring isn't fully seated in the notch on the trigger pin, or your rounds didn't stagger correctly in the mag. I'll assume you have a factory 9 round mag and have fully seated it in the pistol. Limp wristing is another good possibility.
    ok, my apologies for showing my lack of knowledge here...but as a side note, I did recently install a Crimson Trace laser grip. I didn't care for the feel of the grip so I removed it. The only piece of the gun that I had to remove and then replace when putting it back to factory stock was a pin inside the grip of the pistol. I'm not sure exactly what it's called...I thought it was called a trigger pin?
    Would/could this have anything to do with what's happening? and if so, what could I have done to mess it up? because it seemed quite easy to remove the pin and insert once again when removing the CT Laser grip.

thanks

Trigger housing pin? I don't really see any way to improperly install that.

Nah, it's either in or out. There are other issues here. Have an experienced Glock shooter try it out and see if the problems exist.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by skenzer View Post
    Would/could this have anything to do with what's happening? and if so, what could I have done to mess it up? because it seemed quite easy to remove the pin and insert once again when removing the CT Laser grip.
    YES. On the Glock, the spring attached to the slide lock lever is tensioned against the little pin on the front, and sits inside the larger pin. If you remove either pin it is quite easy to removing the spring from the tension state and thus your slide lock will not operate correctly.

Edit: here, look at this:

The little spring sticking up from #30 is tensioned underneath #14. If you reassemble the Glock incorrectly that spring can end up over TOP of #14.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Wrong pin. The O.P. had removed and re-installed the trigger housing pin for the lasergrips. (#34) The pin at the rear of the pistol grip. I know what you're talking about though. (#36)
    Your magazine top edge is pushing up on the slide lock for some reason or the slide lock spring isn't fully seated in the notch on the trigger pin, or your rounds didn't stagger correctly in the mag.

By removing the trigger pin the slide lock lever is set loose, since the trigger pin is what holds the main body of it inside. It would be very easy to jiggle it a bit and move the slide lock spring out of place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links