My New LCP broke after 5 rounds!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on My New LCP broke after 5 rounds!!!!!!!!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I shot five rounds and the gun had a horrible trigger pull worse than my Keltec P-11. At round six, the trigger went back with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New LCP broke after 5 rounds!!!!!!!!!!!

I shot five rounds and the gun had a horrible trigger pull worse than my Keltec P-11. At round six, the trigger went back with no resistance, and nothing happened! No hammer movement when trigger pulled. I called Ruger and they said it will be 3 weeks until I receive a box to send it back. I think this is horrible and I am dissapointed and ticked off at the LCP!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Keltec had some workmanship problems on their version 1 model as well. Now they have a version 2. Why I never buy a first year model in anything.

Rick

Mmmmm, my KelTec P-3AT works perfectly, has for the last six years...no repairs needed. My little mouse gun roars like a lion. Still not fun to shoot at the range, but it always works.

Stay armed...go with 'time tested'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mmmmm, my KelTec P-3AT works perfectly, has for the last six years...no repairs needed. My little mouse gun roars like a lion. Still not fun to shoot at the range, but it always works.

Stay armed...go with 'time tested'...stay safe!
    Well then, you got lucky I guess...but you also know this...

Rick

I can detail strip every gun I own and can repair/replace parts.One thing you might try is googling how to strip /replace parts,sounds like a trigger spring or another part broke or came loose,if you can figure out the problem and can fix it then maybe ruger will just ship a new part
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've never had very good luck with small autos. I had several Kel-Tecs that were bad paperweights and even worse guns (I gave them four chances, they failed each time).

Eventually I figured out that for my size and style of dress, a P32 or similar sized gun was not any easier to conceal than a S&W J-frame. Contrary to my bad experience with small autos (and not just Kel-Tecs), I've never had a problem with a J-frame.

My always gun, as it has been for years now, is a Airweight .38 Special loaded with +P.

I hope your Ruger problems get sorted out and they make the gun work.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I also had issues with an LCP I purchased a couple months ago and quickly dumped it for a real CCW handgun.....Kahr PM9. Could not be happier and well worth the extra cost. I generally like Rugers and own several Ruger guns but the LCP did not do much for me after handling and shooting the small pistol. I had many light primer strikes with various ammo over several shooting sessions and the gun it just to small for the .380 IMO. I usually don't give up on a firearm if I have some inital issues but I just don't think I could trust the LCP for carry purposes.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Great timing for you...Ruger just issued a recall on most LCP's. Now you'll get free shipping, extra goodies, and repair. Get on their list since they will be sending out shipping tags in the order received.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Great timing for you...Ruger just issued a recall on most LCP's. Now you'll get free shipping, extra goodies, and repair. Get on their list since they will be sending out shipping tags in the order received.
    All ready called.. I'll get box in 3 weeks! haha

Real bummer on your LCP. What are you going to be carrying in the meantime? While your wittle pistow ith gone?

I have seen two LCPs fail at my range recently. I could never trust a gun like that with my life. I'm surprized that Ruger let that one out the door without more testing. Get it fixed and trade up to a Kahr
    Why do I carry a Gun? Because I can't carry a Cop

More often than not, the consumer is the beta tester.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

By the way...,Ruger has a recall on the LCP's. There's been reports of them going bang when dropped. Check their website for details on returning these pieces of crap...,I mean firearms.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I can detail strip every gun I own and can repair/replace parts.One thing you might try is googling how to strip /replace parts,sounds like a trigger spring or another part broke or came loose,if you can figure out the problem and can fix it then maybe ruger will just ship a new part
    A fellow preacher in the pulpit! I have purchased the DVDs and Manuals on every gun I own. I just replaced my G23 trigger spring with a NY1 yesterday. I was trained as an armorer in USMC but most people really can train themselves on their own guns. I don't try any real gunsmitthing work (grinding, modifications etc.) and only do inspections , routine maintenance, cleaning and replacing of drop in parts. Many of the problems here on the forum are simple repairs and the idea that gunsmiths, when doing Armorer duties , have some magic we don't is simply not true.

If you know nothing about machinery and guns in particular, don't open the gun up but do put massive amounts of money in escrow to pay for repair work. factory guarantees are good but usually mean the loss of the weapon for some time. Parts for most can be ordered online and we are talking maybe a week down time. To be beat the clock, order the springs and little parts that have a tendency to breakdown and start a spares box. Buy a set of good gunsmithing screwdrivers, brass mallet and a set of needle punches to avoid marring the gun. Most of all develop patience and take your time to be careful during dissassembly and reassembly.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Plus 1

NV CWW qual at 3, 5, 7 & 15 yards before they dropped the 15 yard requirment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links