Derringer recommendations

This is a discussion on Derringer recommendations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As always, I'm too lazy to search the forums for this answer. Anybody have any experience with Cobra, Bond, or other Derringers? Opinions welcome....

Thread: Derringer recommendations

Question Derringer recommendations

As always, I'm too lazy to search the forums for this answer. Anybody have any experience with Cobra, Bond, or other Derringers?
    Opinions welcome.
    Too much of a good thing is not enough... member of WVCDL and NRA

2. Remove Ads

Derringers

I have a Davis (now Cobra) in .32acp. It shoots decent groups, but much higher than the sights and each barrel shoots to a different point. I also have a Hi Standard .22mag retired from the state prison system. It's a good close range shooter, but has a 675 pound trigger pull (+ or -). I like the Bond arms, shot one in .45 Colt last week, but for the weight, you could get a 5 shot snub that's much easier to shoot. If size is a concern and you are so limited that you must have something that small I think the best option is a NAA mini revolver. All of mine shoot close to the sights with ammo they like, and shoot decent groups limited only by the sights. You also get 5 rounds, even if it's only .22 mag.

Administrator
    Here is the link for the American Derringer Corp. website.
    American Derringer

I have the NAA mini (.22LR) does that count?
    I carry it out in the yard sometimes...tucks away in a waistband...disappears.
    It's really just a 'put it in your eye' SD weapon...but still better than the .45 back in the safe.

wlynn...is that YOUR dog in the avatar?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have Cobra .38

Crudely made, heavy, inaccurate, slow to deploy from half cock safety position, dangerous (occasionally will fire with safety ON, can fire if not in half-cock position when loading/closing breech), really HEAVY trigger pull.

Other than that, it's a fine weapon.

- OS

With so many quality small firearms on the market today, why limit yourself to two shots with a trigger pull so bad you'll probably miss anyway?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I used to have opportunity to shoot the Bond Derringers when the manufacturer brought them to the range I was using to test fire them. They are well made and satisfactory for what they are. They're fairly large though and I'm like AZ Husker; I'd rather tote something like the Kel Tech P3AT, Ruger LCP, or a small revolver than any derringer design.

And if you get one of any decent caliber, they HURT to shoot. Most folks could never get the second shot off anyway, either the piece is over your head, or out of your hand.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    And if you get one of any decent caliber, they HURT to shoot. Most folks could never get the second shot off anyway, either the piece is over your head, or out of your hand.
    Actually, with the Cobra .38, ONCE I get the safety bar pushed out of the way and ONCE I get it to full cock, I can fire it with reasonable comfort and secure grip. It's easier to fire with one hand than it is to cock with one hand.

- OS

Choice of handguns (even derringers) are a matter of personal preference. Bond has the best quality reputation. I wouldn't recommend ANY sort of derringer for SD, nor would I suggest a flintlock, but (as mentioned above) the gun you HAVE in hand is a MUCH better choice than the custom 1911 at home in the safe.

If you're serious about carrying a handgun for SD...please make your choice very carefully. Might I suggest you start a thread regarding your decision to select a derringer to begin with? I think some of the wise, longtime pistol-packers around here would have very convincing observations to the contrary.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

As I suspected the responses would be. I saw a great supply of Cobras yesterday and got a bug. You all definitely cured it. I'll put the hundred and a half toward a laser/led flashlight combo for my PLR-16 or down payment on a new short barrel tax.

Yes, Retsupp99, (the rest of you, ignore this next rambling paragraph because you don't want to be bored.)

That is Tilly; look closely at the photo to see the strings of slobber that so permanently decorate her we term them "droolery" . The web site "Pit bulls and tenacious guard dogs" says the NEO is unsuitabe as a house pet unless they have an area of their own. Well, after getting her as a rescue (she was taken from a Cleveland gang), I thought that idea was dumb. Never an "accident". Now, after 6 years, I see marks of the slobber everywhere the cleaning lady can't reach. My wife doesn't like to ride in my Explorer for the same reason. Good dog, though.

Why, oh why. This will do little to save you from anything. These were used long ago because they didn't have anything better. Try a Kel-Tec 380. It's lighter than what you're looking at, holds 3&1/2 times as many shots, gets into action faster, fires again faster...there's no true comparison.
    A hide-away gun is not toy. It's a life jacket for troubled waters. Never mind what looks classic on the age of a poker table...get what will save you.

kipsapcharley: I do carry a little kel-tec .32 in the summer months when I don't carry the .38 snub. My usual carry is the .38 or a 9mm subcompact. I was just slumming and thought the little derringer was neat and would like to know how they shoot before I pluncked down a little cash.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcharly View Post
    Why, oh why. This will do little to save you from anything. These were used long ago because they didn't have anything better. Try a Kel-Tec 380. It's lighter than what you're looking at, holds 3&1/2 times as many shots, gets into action faster, fires again faster...there's no true comparison.
    A hide-away gun is not toy. It's a life jacket for troubled waters. Never mind what looks classic on the age of a poker table...get what will save you.
    Actually, I like my odds with my 2 shot .38 as well or better than yours with that anemic .380. (or .32)
    Unless you can stick it in an eye or ear, you'll need everything in those magazines, and probably have to throw the gun at him too!

- OS

Links