Should I Buy a Sig 229 in .357sig or Glock 30SF?

This is a discussion on Should I Buy a Sig 229 in .357sig or Glock 30SF? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Members: I am undecided as to what handgun I will buy for both home defense and plinking targets at our local range. (1) Sig 229 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members:

I am undecided as to what handgun I will buy for both home defense and plinking targets at our local range.

(1) Sig 229 in .357sig
    or
    (2) Glock 30SF

Your opinions and experience are welcomed with these two handguns.

Many Thanks!

As Marines, our message to our foes has always been essentially the same "We own this side of the street! Threaten my Country or our allies and we will come over to your side of the street, burn your hut down, whisper in your ear “Can you hear me now?", and then secure your heartbeat: Col James M Lowe….

Well, that depends. Although the thought of the .357 SIG cartridge has crossed my mind more than once, and it seems rather appealing. Thing is, supply. We don't necessarily have to think into the future or of bad things happening no matter the political climate. 9mm and 45acp just about have to be the most prevalent and readily available pistol ammunition. The 40S&W may make a good third spot for pistol ammo, then 38/357. I really don't know where the .357SIG would rank as of this time. I'm almost sure the .357SIG Glock models would fit me very well as I've had a G30 in the past, and tossed it back into the mele for someone else to test and to love. But I think the 45acp is still a better one to go with, despite any possible cost difference in currently produced ammo for .357sig vs 45acp and for availability. Just my 2˘

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thing is, supply. We don't necessarily have to think into the future or of bad things happening no matter the political climate. 9mm and 45acp just about have to be the most prevalent and readily available pistol ammunition.
    I agree. I would not buy any pistol for which I could not buy WWB at Wal-Mart for practice. Even the difference between 9mm and 45acp pricing makes me very wary of 45.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

both are great guns, both kind of expensive to run, actually the 357 is a couple bucks more then 45. if you reload, the shoulder cases are harder to reload, crumpling the shoulder is a big prob. 45 is easy to reload, and i can reload a box of fifty for around 8 bucks.
    the 357 has great ballistics, it's kind of a 9mm on speed very flat shooting great range and it's a fast shooter, a little snappy compared to a 40.
    personally i'd buy the 229 and get a 40 barrel from sigarms.
    i just prefer da/sa or 1911's, had a xd for a while traded it for a 229, have not looked back once.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Well, that depends. Although the thought of the .357 SIG cartridge has crossed my mind more than once, and it seems rather appealing. Thing is, supply. We don't necessarily have to think into the future or of bad things happening no matter the political climate. 9mm and 45acp just about have to be the most prevalent and readily available pistol ammunition. The 40S&W may make a good third spot for pistol ammo, then 38/357. I really don't know where the .357SIG would rank as of this time. I'm almost sure the .357SIG Glock models would fit me very well as I've had a G30 in the past, and tossed it back into the mele for someone else to test and to love. But I think the 45acp is still a better one to go with, despite any possible cost difference in currently produced ammo for .357sig vs 45acp and for availability. Just my 2˘
    Once RR read my thoughts and typed them faster than I did

Availability is the keyword; my handguns are 9mm .45ACP or .38/.357 (OK I also have a .44 but the 8 3/8 barrel does make it easy to carry) OTOH I have an UZI 9mm.
    The above ammunition can be found anywhere in a country drugstore/hardware store and will be the easiest available on the black market if we go through total bans; also easy to reload.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

which to buy??

can you go to a range/shop where you can try them all out.???
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Those two guns have nothing in common. What are your parameters? If you're interested in a Glock, check out the G32 in .357 Sig. With a drop-in conversion barrel, you can shoot cheap 9mm ammo yet still have the tremendous .357 round for defense. And it's a lot thinner than that blocky G30 yet carries a 13-round mag, 15 in 9mm.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I own several Glocks and one Sig. So, I am biased towards Glocks. That aside, like others have mentioned, you may want to consider the availability of ammo. 45 ACP is more readily available and cheaper.

Both guns would be good for SD.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I've purchased and owned several Glock's and SIG's over the years... all documented below. I purchased all of my SIG's before ever putting one in hand... sight unseen... loved them all, except the P239 because they are too small for my hand... I wish I still had my P220. On the other hand I have shoot every Glock model at least once before I purchased each... loved them all and still own all of them... I think that says a lot.

I highly recommend shooting any and all guns you are considering for yourself before you purchase any gun... I think they are both great guns made by great gun manufactures... I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

The P229 in .357SIG is a better buy. Here's why. You can drop in a barrel from .40SW and use the same magazine for both calibers. .40SW is cheaper than both .357SIG and .45ACP and is more available than .357SIG being that most every LEO in the country uses it.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

You said "Home Defense" if that is so size will not be a problem
    The 45 will be cheaper to shoot at the range but the 357 will be
    more accurate.
    As for the post that talked about availability, when the SHTF ,don.t
    count on ammo you don,t already have , no matter what caliber you buy
    just my .02
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Both are great weapons...either would work for you.
    Which one feels better in your hand?

I would buy the Glock, but it would be because I already have two Glocks.

Stay armed...go with your first instinct...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    The P229 in .357SIG is a better buy. Here's why. You can drop in a barrel from .40SW and use the same magazine for both calibers. .40SW is cheaper than both .357SIG and .45ACP and is more available than .357SIG being that most every LEO in the country uses it.
    You can do the same drop-in with a Glock in .357/.40, and use the same mags, but I prefer the cheaper 9mm conversion. 9mm G19 mags are $15 each, so no big deal. I don't know where you buy your ammo, but around here, .45 is always cheaper than .40, and if you go to the 9mm conversion, it's half the price.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

"Talk to the hand" meaning these 2 guns are seriously different in the way they naturally point when held. My advice would be for you to try them before buying if possible.
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Administrator
    Is this the continuation of last November and Decembers 38 threads about what gun you should buy? Did you ever decide?

The reason I ask is trying to keep with like ammunition or the same platforms and actions.
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 2nd, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links