Sig P6

Sig P6

This is a discussion on Sig P6 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you I recently purchased a German surplus Sig p6. Everyone knows they are wonderful guns and the best buy that's come along ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P6

Sig P6

As many of you I recently purchased a German surplus Sig p6. Everyone knows they are wonderful guns and the best buy that's come along in a long time. I had the chance to go through all the pistols the dealer had and found one that most likely had less than 100 rounds fired through it and very little wear on the outside.
    I think everyone who has one wants to know what the notch in the hammer is for. I can speculate but instead I found the German police website and emailed them a short while ago in an attempt to contact one of the firearms instructors in an attempt to get the story on that hammer from the source. If and when I get an answer I will let everyone know here and on my blog at Gunner’s Journal
    I hope everyone else is enjoying their P6 as much as i am! It's perfect for concealed carry. I just need a good holster for it and a better set of grips. Craig Sword at Mil-Tac is getting ready to release Sig grips in G-10 and I have asked him to please have some made for the P6. I'm keeping my fingers crossed:-)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Somebody beat you to the answer. Watch this youtube video it explains the reason for the "hook".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtCr8FubeBI
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I don't buy the explanation in the video. The hammer is a skeleton hammer, you can put the strip through it without the notch, in fact he said at the start the strip will not go through the notch. Hopefully the OP will get an answer from the German Polizei.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Would Sig know? Maybe you could email them? I'm actually hoping to purchase one pretty soon. It was the first handgun I ever shot and wanted to buy it. But after I did some research I found out the guy was chargin too much. He wanted almost five hundred bucks for it. I was at a gunshow today and they had 'em for less than three and I was really wishin I had the cash for it.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Mine was $330 which is a little higher than some but I got to choose between several so it was worth a little extra.
    I'm going to call Sig Monday and ask them as well. Great gun for certain!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner777 View Post
    The linked grips you have from ebay and these grips are from Dennis Marschalko, he makes them is several different woods and they are very well made and beautiful. These are in Red Wattle.
    Marschalgrips.com

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Sponsor
    The notch in the hammer was requested by W. German armorers who would be able to tell at a glance if the pistol had been dropped by the issued user.

The notch would close, bend, break if dropped and the armorers would then be able to look at the internals to see if further work/replacement parts were necessary while servicing the pistols.

If you have a question about a sig product, go the the sig forum. This question has been asked and answered long ago by people who live and breath the sigs.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

The guy in the video appeared to be making stuff up as he went.

The hammer doesn't need a notch in order for the blue "zip tie" to go through the hole.

Randy

I've heard the story about dropping the gun on the hammer but somehow it just doesn't sound right. It may be but I just have my doubts--I'll find out for sure one way or another.
    Thanks for the grip info and who makes them. I'd like to get a set. I've always been partial to wood over standard plastic on any gun.
    I did go to the Sig forum and the question is up again. I signed up but not approved for posting yet.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner777 View Post
    I've heard the story about dropping the gun on the hammer but somehow it just doesn't sound right. It may be but I just have my doubts--I'll find out for sure one way or another.
    Thanks for the grip info and who makes them. I'd like to get a set. I've always been partial to wood over standard plastic on any gun.
    I did go to the Sig forum and the question is up again. I signed up but not approved for posting yet.
    They are extremely slow on approval to post. It took 4 days for my approval to finally come through.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I've heard both answers, and both have strengths and weaknesses.

I believe the theory about being able to tell if it had been dropped on the hammer is probably the correct answer, and the guy even touches on why in his video. Many people that were issued these firearms are subject to some pretty strict rules regarding their use and possession. They don't have the ability to shoot and handle weapons like we do here. Thus, it is reasonable to expect there to be more problems in simple gun handling than we have here. They are simply foreign to them.

The other theory does carry weight. Yes, you could put the zip tie like device around the gun without the notch. However, it is also possible to envision a scenario where an individual could slide the tie over the hammer without breaking it. While not likely, it isn't out of the realm of possibility either. The notch in the hammer removes that possibility since the tie is secured to the hammer itself.

Either way, the notch is there. It doesn't take away from the fact that there are a number of people getting quality firearms for a rock bottom price. If anyone is in the market for one of these you better hurry, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to holdout myself. I'm starting to want one pretty bad after playing with a 225 last weekend.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    We handled one last night. It showed a lot of wear on the slide.
    I found it to be slimmer in my hand than a P226, but still blocky and
    clunky, with a horrid trigger pull. The same things that made me go away from SIGs a long time ago.

For $459, I'd go with the Taurus 24/7 or 75BD next to it in the case.

These might be good guns/buys for some people who order them online, but not so great from Dealers once they add their profit margins.

One gun that was impressive: The Stoeger Cougar 9mm.

VIP Member
    The Beretta/Stoeger Cougar is a great little gun. Everyone should have one.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    We handled one last night. It showed a lot of wear on the slide.
    I found it to be slimmer in my hand than a P226, but still blocky and
    clunky, with a horrid trigger pull. The same things that made me go away from SIGs a long time ago.

For $459, I'd go with the Taurus 24/7 or 75BD next to it in the case.

These might be good guns/buys for some people who order them online, but not so great from Dealers once they add their profit margins.

One gun that was impressive: The Stoeger Cougar 9mm.
    459? That's a rip off. I saw several for sale this weekend at around 250. I had a dealer try and sell me one for about the same price you got and I thought it was good at first cause all I knew was it was a Sig. I did some research and was like ha yeah right.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links