Parra Hawgs as conceal carry

This is a discussion on Parra Hawgs as conceal carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting a Nite Hawg for my conceal carry. I have yet to find anyone who has actually shot these weapons. Any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parra Hawgs as conceal carry

I am looking at getting a Nite Hawg for my conceal carry. I have yet to find anyone who has actually shot these weapons. Any help would be appreciated.

I have one and carried it for a while. It's a little thick but not unmanageable for CCW. Shoot nice but I wouldn't want to put too many rounds through it in one session.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

I notice you're in San Antonio, I have a Para 645 LDA, though it's a single stack, you're welcome to try and shoot it. I've not been happy with this gun at all, and unable to resell it. See related thread here:
    Beginning to wonder.....

Thanks for the help guys, I will be getting back to the states soon... after this last leg of my deployment (hopefully April I can get to San Antonio) I just got my permit to carry last month, but haven't been able to get to a gun shop to test out some of the weapons I might be carrying. Based on some of the reviews your hit or miss with the Para line, maybe an XD or Glock would suit me better. Thanks again.

SSG Marron

I had a para 12.45 LDA that I purchased used and it was a wonderful gun.
    When I bought the para, there were the stories that I heard (take JD's for example ) about product quality, crappy parts and the like. I experienced the same except I corrected the problems. When the stove piping started, it was bad. Little bits of brass that was being shaved off. Unreliable feeding and ejecting, not to mention the inaccuracy ! Whoa ! This is a very nice stainless carry pistol, a little heavy...not a problem. Only a hair thicker than a 1911 with the double stack mags...not a problem. I gotta do something. I called brownells and order a heavy duty extractor and replaced it. I polished the feed ramp with my dremel and some flitz metal polish. Since I bought the gun used, the recoil spring was replaced. Those two items solved my main problems.
    Now the accuracy. This gun has a 3.5" barrel. Shooting 230 grainer hardball or JHP's, I was consistently printing at 8 o'clock. I switched to 185 and 200 grainers, and the gun was scary accurate.
    Now the gun eats everything I gave it with no problems, ejects with no problems, and is a very accurate piece which I can double tap with ease and stay accurate. I wished I never let it go.
    BTW...if the mags failed....all it would have taken to repair it would have been new springs.
    I hope this makes you change your mind about the para LDA.... a little change goes a long way. Regardless, you will have to make simple repairs/maintenance to any pistol sooner or later. Unfortunately, you have to do this a little earlier with paras', and thats my experience.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I had a para 12.45 LDA that I purchased used and it was a wonderful gun.
    When I bought the para, there were the stories that I heard (take JD's for example ) about product quality, crappy parts and the like. I experienced the same except I corrected the problems.
    (SNIP)
    I hope this makes you change your mind about the para LDA.... a little change goes a long way. Regardless, you will have to make simple repairs/maintenance to any pistol sooner or later. Unfortunately, you have to do this a little earlier with paras', and thats my experience.
    I've known guys that shoot Para's and love them. I don't doubt Para's can be made to run, but I would caution anyone looking to for an inexpensive option, expecting it to run straight from the box. Especially the short barreled carry models. I've not been able to sell mine for even half what I paid for it already used, if I can trade it for something else, like a Glock, M&P or a Smith 642, I will. If not, I'll probably let some local smith try to get it running before I just trash it, but at this point, I'm not at all impressed with Para-Ordinace.

They seemed to be pretty 'thick' to me...I didn't like the grip...but we all have different tastes.
    What else have you tried? What else have you compared it to?
    I'd keep looking...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

warthawg

i carried (not long) the warthawg my 2. is that this line is not very dependable, para just did not do a good job here, it seemd at least 2 out of 10 on every mag misfed, i had others shoot it with the same results. than i began researching the hawg line to find out many others experienced the same, these are not cheap weapons, after keeping it for a while (noone wanted to buy it after shooting it) i lost a good chunk of change selling it as partial payment on my new h&k 45c, be carefull with the hawg line

JD
    Administrator
    I never had any mechanical problems.

Most of my complaints with Paras were finish issues with the Parakote, it sucked.

The mags are costly at about $50.00 per mag.

And for the double stack Hawgs, a good belt and holster are going to be needed to counter the top heavyness of the gun, or any other double stack 1911 for that matter, that many .45s tend to shift the weight balance a bit.

Never had any jamming issues, never had any mag issues, never had a part break, never had any accuracy issues.

Had four different Paras, all I can say is go for it and buy a stainless version.

That's if you want a double stack 1911, if you decide to go single stack, there are better guns IMHO.

VIP Member
    Good prices on mags here. Some others too.

Para-Ordnance Mags

19.99 for aftermarket up to 32.00 for nickle plated factory mags.

I love my hi-cap para. No problems, runs great! I'll be getting another soon.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

They don't call them Hawgs for nothing. They're like carrying a brick. With their hit and miss QC over the years, if you really want a double stack 1911, look at Wilsons. Personally, even as a 1911 lover, I'd go with a Glock over any hi-cap 1911.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have a Slim Hawg (single stack, 3") that just plain works. Great to carry, too.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Personally, even as a 1911 lover, I'd go with a Glock over any hi-cap 1911.
    I'd tend to agree, with the exception of an STI maybe, but I don't have another $1800 to spend on a pistol these days.

If I were looking at double stack .45s, it would probably be a G21SF.

Damn polymer devil

I haven't been able to get my hands on anything here other than an M9 (which I hate) I am crossed between the Para Hawgs, S&W MP 45c or 40c, XD 45 or 40 compact or subcompact.

Good to see more folks in San Antonio! Maybe we should have a range day to compare notes.

I've not shot a Para Hawg, but did seriously consider one while looking at compact 1911s. Certainly seems to be a quality firearm.

For me, it came down to the feel of it. A single-stack grip fit my hand better. I ended up picking a Kimber Ultra CDP II, and have been extremely happy with it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links