Help me decide...Sig P229 vs Colt Defender

This is a discussion on Help me decide...Sig P229 vs Colt Defender within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't decide whether I want to get a Colt Defender (.45acp) or a CPO Sig P229 with both .357Sig and .40SW barrels. My current ...

I can't decide whether I want to get a Colt Defender (.45acp) or a CPO Sig P229 with both .357Sig and .40SW barrels.

My current situation for carry is a Glock 19 and a Dan Wesson CBOB. I carry the Glock now, but will carry the Dan Wesson soon as well once I get my holster. I was actually thinking of getting the Colt Defender as my primary gun and in cooler months or when I accomidate more gun, carry the CBOB. Relegating the Glock to a car gun.

My dealer got in a couple CPO Sigs and they're in pretty good condition. I was thinking maybe I'd be better off saving some money and going with the Sig. The only thing is the Colt will use the same ammo as my Dan Wesson and it's a .45 which I like to begin with.

Anyhow, what do you suggest? I'm not dead set on .45 and believe a 9mm is plenty. I'm just going to be buying a gun and can't decide what, between these two. Given the choices, would you get the SIG and carry .357sig for defense or would it be better to use .40sw for better availability of ammo. Or just go with the Colt for .45acp and consolidate my calibers between 9mm and .45?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Go with the SIG....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    SIG

Defender easier to conceal, but lower capacity

I own both the Sig P229 in .40 and a Colt Defender. They are both excellent guns, but different.

Since you intend to carry a Dan Wesson 1911 as your primary CCW, the Defender would make sense as your alternate because it uses the same "cocked and locked" manual of arms, as well as the same caliber and ammo. Additionally, the Defender is a very slim and concealable gun compared to the Sig P229, which is larger in every dimension than the Defender. The Defender weighs 25 ounces to the Sig's 32 ounces.

The Sig, on the other hand, may be the nicest .40 caliber gun on the market. Mine is extremely accurate and has 12+1 capacity, which far exceeds the 7+1 capacity of the Defender. If you can get a nice P229 at a CPO price ($500 or so), it is probably an excellent investment.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The question now is .357SIG or .40SW for carry?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    The question now is .357SIG or .40SW for carry?
    Go with the SIG! Whether you start with the 357 or 40 the good news is you can always switch to the other with a SIG "drop in" barrel. I will say the .40 S&W is cheaper and more widely available. Perhaps you can find someplace where you can fire both, and that should help you make up your mind.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Go with the SIG! Whether you start with the 357 or 40 the good news is you can always switch to the other with a SIG "drop in" barrel. I will say the .40 S&W is cheaper and more widely available. Perhaps you can find someplace where you can fire both, and that should help you make up your mind.
    The CPO guns come with both barrels. I thought $550 for them is a steal which got me thinking.

I'll probably only shoot and use .40SW since it's available almost everywhere and I can easily find Federal HST in that caliber, my preferred loading. I looked around and I can't find .357sig defense ammo locally and online I can't get HST.
    -Thomas Jefferson

No doubt...Sig. In my experience, my Sigs have been much more reliable than my Colts which includes a Defender.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Would also say the sig make sure you run some rounds through it 2 of mine had to be sent back due to feeding problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
    Would also say the sig make sure you run some rounds through it 2 of mine had to be sent back due to feeding problems.
    I run several boxes of ammo through all of my guns and then a box of my chosen defense load before I even buy a holster.

I think I've pretty much decided to make the Glock the gun I keep in the car and the gun I can go to and always works. My Sig would be my primary carry gun. In the winter I would carry my 1911.

Different trigger and safety systems yes, but I practice my draw for hours making sure I'm confident in putting it into action before I carry it.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Since you intend to carry a Dan Wesson 1911 as your primary CCW, the Defender would make sense as your alternate because it uses the same "cocked and locked" manual of arms, as well as the same caliber and ammo. Additionally, the Defender is a very slim and concealable gun compared to the Sig P229, which is larger in every dimension than the Defender. The Defender weighs 25 ounces to the Sig's 32 ounces.
    Well stated. I'd opt for the Defender.

I still have to verify availability of the Sig. At the price, I think they'll sell. Only $550 with both barrels.

I have the Defender on layaway currently. I'll find out tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. Either way, I think I'll be plenty happy.
    -Thomas Jefferson

While Sigs are great guns, they don't fit ME. I also can't tell how often I've drooled over a Defender. That said, I honestly think you can't go worng either way. Though something does speak to that fact that already carry a 1911 and are use to the controls/operation.
    God Bless America!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    While Sigs are great guns, they don't fit ME. I also can't tell how often I've drooled over a Defender. That said, I honestly think you can't go worng either way. Though something does speak to that fact that already carry a 1911 and are use to the controls/operation.
    I have a friend that owns a few SIGs. I shoot them very well and they fit well in my hand. I like them a whole lot. I never purchased one because I was an HK person. Then I fired a 1911 and well, decided that I had to have one and got my Dan Wesson. I do love my Glocks though. One of those guns that you can do whatever you want to and it will be ok since it's not dressed up and shiny. It will still go bang.

Anyway to make a long story short, I wanted to keep my Glock 19 in the car and have it for my grab and go gun. You know, the gun you can grab and not worry about maintenance and all that. I also own a G17 which I do not carry and have it for a range toy. I decided that I liked the 1911 enough that I'd put the defender on layaway and replace my Glock 19 with that. Then the CPO sigs came in, and for $550 I said to myself "that's a hell of a deal, and I really like sigs". So I was on the fence about having another caliber to buy ammo for, or to consolidate between 9mm and .45acp. There's bonuses to both sides and I have done my research prior to deciding to go with the defender previously. The Sig p229 threw a wrench in the works and made me get to thinking...it would be a good time to grab a sig but at the same time, if you think about it from the perspective of method of carry, the defender fits better (condition 1) and uses the same ammo as my other .45s. It's a tough one...but like I said, it's dependent on my dealer even having the sigs in stock anymore. For all I know they sold and my thinking and pondering is moot
    -Thomas Jefferson

Links