CC Gun For Daughter ??

This is a discussion on CC Gun For Daughter ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a dilemma that I'm hoping I can get some help with. I want to purchase a handgun for my daughter that, once she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC Gun For Daughter ??

CC Gun For Daughter ??

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping I can get some help with. I want to purchase a handgun for my daughter that, once she becomes an adult, she will be able to carry and shoot well. I have it down to two choices. A 9mm SA (IE Glock 26) or a revolver (IE 32 Mag or 38 Special S&W). Considering how the future make look what would be the best choice?

Would the Glock be easier to shoot? Will it be banned? The revolver is simple but will it be harder for a female to deal with?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Both my girls went through my entire collection before settling on Glock 19's. They find them easier to shoot than the subcompact G26 and not much more difficult to conceal. Neither liked my S&W 642 snubby, recoil is nasty, and only five shots instead of the sixteen with the G19.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I would suggest the Glock 27. But that's my 2 cents......
    Freemason 1988
    Colt 1911
    Browning
    Springfield
    North American Arms
    N.R.A.

The Glock-26 would be perfect...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are several options. Reliability and comfort are #1 priority in chosing a weapon. A lot of people will tell you to look at Glocks, but personally I've never liked them...They don't fit comfortably in my hand.

I carry a Taurus PT111pro 9mm. It holds 12+1 rounds and has been 100% reliable so far. Its small and easy to conceal. I'm 6'2 and weigh about 145lbs, so I'm pretty small....and I have no trouble concealing it at all.

Another option is the Bersa Thunder .380acp. Its another affordable (between 2 and 300 bucks) weapon. I've owned 2 in the past and never had any sort of issue with either one. The only downfall is that its a bit smaller than a 9mm. .380 is widely considered the smallest acceptable round for self defense...but if you're a good shot, it shouldn't matter what size round you use.

The price tag on the PT111pro is about $300...an excellent deal if you ask me. New, it comes with 2 mags, a bore brush, and a hard case.

These are just two of my favorites. It all comes down to personal preferance. You can take as many suggestions as you want....but find out what fits best in your hand. As far as semi auto vs revolver, I would go with semi-auto hands down for numerous reasons (more rounds, easier to conceal, etc)

Here are a few pics of both

Taurus PT111pro

Bersa Thunder .380

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
    I have a dilemma that I'm hoping I can get some help with. I want to purchase a handgun for my daughter that, once she becomes an adult, she will be able to carry and shoot well. I have it down to two choices. A 9mm SA (IE Glock 26) or a revolver (IE 32 Mag or 38 Special S&W). Considering how the future make look what would be the best choice?

Would the Glock be easier to shoot? Will it be banned? The revolver is simple but will it be harder for a female to deal with?

Thanks in advance.
    I just went through the same selection process with my wife, and she liked both the G19 and G26 over everything else. She decided on the G26 because it was smaller. With pinkie extensions, I think it's almost as easy to handle and shoot as the G19. She certainly likes it and hasn't had any problems shooting it. I'd say you can't go wrong with either. The Springfield XD-9c would be another suggestion, I don't have one but the reviews are high on them. The wife rated it close behind the Glocks, but it felt too heavy to her.

Slide (recoil spring) stiffness might also be a factor to consider. Although with practice and proper technique most anyone can work most any slide, starting out she might like an easier slide if she's not quite strong already. The Glock slides are pretty smooth and easy. OTOH you want to watch out for Kahrs -- great little guns, but man are they stiff.

Oh and BTW, all Glocks are DAO, not SA.

Despite all the fear and concern about Obama being elected, I'm not too concerned about any handguns being banned during his first term. At most he will reinstate the AWB and hi-cap mags might be banned again. The G26 is a 10-rounder anyway, so would not have been affected by the past AWB.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

The day I put a cheap Bersa, Hi Point, Raven, Lorcin, or anything else like that in my daughter's hand to take care of my most prized possession is the day I shouldn't be called a Dad. If you want to trust YOUR life with it, fine. I don't trust the cheap crap to take care of my babies!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The day I put a cheap Bersa, Hi Point, Raven, Lorcin, or anything else like that in my daughter's hand to take care of my most prized possession is the day I shouldn't be called a Dad. If you want to trust YOUR life with it, fine. I don't trust the cheap crap to take care of my babies!
    You'd rate a Bersa with the likes of Hi Point and Lorcin? I haven't owned one, but for the money I have heard lots of good and little if any bad about them.

That said, I agree that I'd prefer to give my daughter a little higher-end platform, and I'm generally a believer in "you get what you pay for."
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    Despite all the fear and concern about Obama being elected, I'm not too concerned about any handguns being banned during his first term. At most he will reinstate the AWB and hi-cap mags might be banned again. The G26 is a 10-rounder anyway, so would not have been affected by the past AWB.
    Order your 12-round extender mags for the G26 now.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Order your 12-round extender mags for the G26 now.
    No thanks, I have no need or desire. The 10-round G26 is my highest-capacity handgun ever, and the whole point to me buying it was its compact size. I'm almost exclusively a 1911 guy, so "hi-cap" has never been a big concern for me from a handgun perspective. I don't like to see the restrictions obviously, but so far it hasn't effected my choice of handguns.
    David

I am a Glock man myself but for this situation i would put in a vote for a smith 642. ps if you are supplying your adult children with firearms can i be adopted.

Glock 26
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Compact 9mm Auto or .38 Spl. Snubbie for Daughter?

How old is she now? Is this a question about which is best to acquaint her with as she grows-up shooting? This particular decision hasn't reached an agreed consensus even among long-time, experienced pistoleros. It's even harder to decide when put in the context of an inexperienced non-adult. Then we've got questions of; hand size & strength, recoil sensativity, physical deterity & coordination, etc., etc.

Here are the "generalities" I would keep in mind. The smaller the gun = the more difficult it is to shoot well. The more powerful the gun = the less practice is likely to happen. The heavier the gun = the lighter the felt recoil. The more complicated the gun = more things to remember at (potentially) the WORST possible time. Given all the things I DON'T know about the situation...I would start her out on a DA rimfire revolver. Graduate to a Ruger SP101 (maybe new .32 Hornady Mag?). Then, only when/if she becomes a confident, comfortable wheelgun shooter, move to a lighter weight snubbie. I think a lot of folks (old & young) decide to carry a tiny Airweight revolver wayyy too fast. IMHO, they take MORE practice & MORE experience to shoot effectively than almost ANY other sort of handgun.

In reality, your daughter will likely gravitate naturally to either the auto or the wheelgun (most shooters do). Give her plenty of exposure to both & then decide based on her comfort, confidence & capability with each style of handgun. If she feels great with a guitar in her hands, why insist she take...piano lessons?
    Last edited by ghost tracker; November 5th, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My response to questions like this is always the same.......find a range that offers a wide variety of rental firearms, let her try as many as possible and let her choose for herself.

Selecting the right self-defense handgun is just too personal, and too important to try to do otherwise......

My .02
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

whw
    The Glock 19 is great for the home and discreet carry when the proper attire is appropriate for the event. A great deep cover gun is the S&W 642. Get both so she can carry under any circumstances.

whw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links