Pocket gun

Pocket gun

This is a discussion on Pocket gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I'm going to need to buy a gun before Obama bans or taxes them. I have a M&P 9c that I absolutely love. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket gun

Pocket gun

I think I'm going to need to buy a gun before Obama bans or taxes them. I have a M&P 9c that I absolutely love. There are times that it is difficult to carry concealed and I've been thinking about pocket carry a lot.

I was wondering what opinions would be between a gun like the Kel-Tec .380 or LCP and a .38 +P snubbie. These are the two calibers I'm looking at and am not considering anything larger. I just want opinions about the two types of gun, semi-auto and revolver.

If there is already a thread on this, please forgive me and direct me there.

Thanks.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

JD
    Administrator
    I tend to like autos better than revolvers, just for the faster reload, but that's a training issue more than a gun issue.

As there is a recall on the LCP, I'd take that off the list and focus more on the Kel-Tec P3AT, the Kahr P380 is supposed to be shipping this month, and then there's the PM9...
    you might also want to look at the Walther PPS (site appears to be down, but you can read about them HERE)

The J-Frame revolver (and like kind) have always been popular and I have in the past carried a Smith 642 and 360PD, they definitely fill a nice spot in the arsenal of carry guns.

I like my small .380 autos, but again, that's more of an issue of me keeping my guns in the same method of operation/manual of arms, that and I just shoot the autos better, I'd rather shoot 100 rounds out of my Mustangs than 20 rounds out of a J-Frame revolver.

Senior Moderator
    For Pocket guns I like J-Frames which is just a personal choice.

If going for an auto I'd look at Kel-Tec's P3AT
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

BAC
    Has anyone done much practice with drawing pocket guns? I tend to have pretty spacious pockets, and I can't imagine drawing smoothly when not in a rush. Add the "fight" factor in...

-B

VIP Member
    A big hello from a fellow Virginia!

Pocket carry is my preferred carry method.

I carry a S&W 637 snubbie at times. The j frame is always in a holster. My personal choice is a Safariland pocket holster. It works well. Other members will recommend their preferences as well. The j frame fits well in shorts pockets, dockers pant pockets, and cargo type pants. It is snug in jeans, but the printing looks like a wallet. I leave my shirt untucked to provide additional cover. Some jeans pockets are too tight, so it pays to look around.

Kel-Tec & Rugers are smaller and lighter and will disappear in most pant pockets with a good holster. The down side is practicing with a 9 oz gun may not be fun. Proponents of each will tell you recoil is not bad. It is one of those things you have to try and find out for yourself.

May I suggest you also consider the NAA Guardian .380? The Guardian is similiar in size, but has more weight from an all steel gun. If you want to practice it is an option worth looking into.

Semi vs revolver has been hashed and re-hashed. Semi fans will point to higher capacity, ease of reloads, etc. Revolver fans will say it always goes bang, 5 for sure. You get the idea...in this class of gun, capacity is really a non issue, both are close enough. The important thing is to make a selection that fits your hand well, that you feel comfortable with, run 200 - 300 rounds of your choosen ammo thru it to understand how it works, is it reliability with that ammo, and to break it in properly.

Good luck and let me know if I can provide more information.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Has anyone done much practice with drawing pocket guns? I tend to have pretty spacious pockets, and I can't imagine drawing smoothly when not in a rush. Add the "fight" factor in...

-B

Hi BAC, I've practice drawing from the pocket a lot. Like a hundred+ times. The j frame is by far the fastest presentation from the pocket for me. Smooth angles, the shape, etc just lends itself to a quick draw.

Autos don't come out as smoothly. Some are down right difficult - the Walther PPS being one. The rear frame extends well past the grip and the overall height fills up the pocket, making quick deployment a challenge. Other guns, such as the PPK are fast. The Sig p232 is a bit slower.

Personally, the quickness of draw is pretty far down on my list of pocket gun selection. My philosophy with self defense is similiar to that of riding the motorcycle. The more awareness of your surroundings and what is going on - the less likely you are to be surprised. Surprise = loss of control = behind the curve. Just my 2 cents.

Has anyone done much practice with drawing pocket guns?
    Yep, and the decision (for me personally) was; that if my pocket was roomy enough to get my hand & gun smoothly in & out, the holster wouldn't stay in the same place. If my pocket was snug enough to keep my holster in the same place & orientation, then it wasn't roomy enough to get my hand & gun smoothly in & out! It all came down to my ability to confidently find, draw & reholster my handgun the same way, everytime, time after time. So, I've since decided that my pocket(s) are best reserved for change, car keys, cellphone, and clipping my folding knife. And my preferred pocket for carrying a handgun...is a IWB/OWB holster, regardless of gun size. Your results may vary.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have two KT 3-ATs and always one on me. Minimalist guns like these must be kept CLEAN and that means stripping and blowing out the pocket lint from time to time as well as cleaning after firing.

They 're very hard to make without problems which is why the Chinese didn't copy them. Only one who has is finding them very hard to do even though they added an ounce.

I have on order some Double Tap ammo that gives a full 200 pounds of energy at the muzzle from a little KT barrel length. I chose FMJ and will probably use this as my carry round if it tests well. The other popular carry round with many is the Remington 102 grain Golden Saber. The slightly heavier bullet seems to make for more reliable functioning.

Standard ball is cheapest for practice and reliable in some but occasionally not always in some of these guns.

Usually something a little hotter or a little heavier, or both, is best for carry.

These are the real 24/7 guns that will fit the watch pocket in some jeans or cut-off-type shorts and always work fine in a front pocket in any pants, with t-shirt or no shirt. With side clips attached they can be carried in all sorts of places. Anything else is heavier, bigger or way less in power or often all three.

I would have to point you at this over the other choices. Of course, when I can, my XD-45c goes along and that's my favorite gun ever but that's another story.

See others are saying much about fast draw which really matters in SD. There is not much quicker tha a watch pocket. Gun rides upside-down almost like an extreme version of a 45 degree side holster with the butt slanted forward. Two fingers go into the pocket and pull upward with the gun swiveling around two point forward on the way up.

Surprisingly natural and easy. I have never once dropped or fumbled it while practicing. Almost like open carry without a jacket but I've done this for years now and never spotted. The upside-down position means it doesn't print out as "gun" but pocket junk.

You need to take it along when shopping as not all watch pockets work...they can vary a lot but if you once try this you'll be amazed at how well it does work!

FWIW This will work with most vest pocket 25s also but the little KT can have as much as 200 pounds at the muzzle versus 75.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I carry a Walther PPS (and a Walther P22 in the past) in my left pocket as a BUG. I practice drawing, and two things that I've noticed about pocket carry are: 1. It depends on the pockets of what you are wearing on how easy it is to draw. And 2. A pull up AND back (sort of like a rolling it out of the pocket) greatly increases the effectiveness of the draw.

Walking through a parking lot with my hand in my pocket grasping my gun would lend itself to a much faster draw than going for the gun on my hip.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

BAC
    Thanks for your responses guys. I've been hunting for a smaller "date" gun for a while, but haven't decided what or how it'll be carried yet. Still leaning towards a little snubby or MK9...

-B

I just went to a shop to purchase my pre Obama guns and saw kettec for $325, they had several of them. They had 1 ruger lcp marked for $499. Crazy!!!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Thanks for your responses guys. I've been hunting for a smaller "date" gun for a while, but haven't decided what or how it'll be carried yet. Still leaning towards a little snubby or MK9...

-B
    The MK9 is what I'm thinking of replacing (re: shelving) my Colt Mustangs.

Thanks for all the great responses. I guess I'll just have to go to some gun shops and try some out. Darn it. I like the reputation of snubbies, but my dad has a kel-tec .32 that is just cool. Thanks again.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’
    — James Earl Jones

I picked up a Jframe 642 from Smith and Wesson a couple weeks ago and I LOVE IT.!!

Since I brought it home I have not left home without it!
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

I want one, but I just can't warm up to a LCP; yet. I still question it's reliability in it's infancy.

I EDC a S&W 442, which is just a dream to carry. As for pocket guns I think a Rohrbaugh may be on my short list.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links