Help Locating a Gun Site or 45 ACP Pistol Suggestions

This is a discussion on Help Locating a Gun Site or 45 ACP Pistol Suggestions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, New to forum. Lots of great stuff here. My problem one day while looking for some information about pistols I found a site that ...

Thread: Help Locating a Gun Site or 45 ACP Pistol Suggestions

Help Locating a Gun Site or 45 ACP Pistol Suggestions

Hello, New to forum. Lots of great stuff here. My problem one day while looking for some information about pistols I found a site that you could compare sub-compact, compact, full size, etc pistols. It was a site that had all the different makers pistols along with several others, could sort by all kinds of different filters. Trouble is I did not bookmark it and now I have googled the heck out of it and still can not find it. If it rings a bell to anyone, please post the link.

With all the information and knowledge here if nobody knows the site, I am looking for a new pistol. I want a 45 acp, 1911 style, single stack, in as small of a package as possible. I carry IWB 75% of the time and OWB the other 25%, so weight is important to me. I remember seeing a post from a lady with a holster where she carried the mag backwards, the pistol she was carrying was one I was interested in can't find it again either, need to learn the bookmark thing. One more thing, single action (personal preference).
    Don't Blame Me I Voted for McCain!
    Better to be 2nd than a

2. Remove Ads

Colt Defender, Nighthawk N3, Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact, Springfield Loaded Micro Compact.

All excellent choices, all available in .45acp with 3" barrel. A couple of these have aluminum frames for high weight savings.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Detonics?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

OD*
    Colt New Agent.

Colt New Agent review.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I'd get a four inch barrel or longer Kimber. They are custom quality for a fairly reasonable price. A good site to research this is :

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Is this what you mean?

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg

BTW, my Kimber Ultra CarryII and Colt New Agent have run perfectly while others seem to have trouble. But remember that anecdotal evidence is not necessarily typical, so get what you want.

Lightweight .45

Let's not forget the fine compact 1911 style guns from SIG - the C3 and its melted brother the RCS. Alloy Officer's Model size frame with a Commander top end.

As someone else recommended, stick with a four inch barrel - less finicky, more reliable. Barrel length isn't hard to hide, it's grip frame length. These are great guns and are often forgotten because most people don't think SIG when it comes to 1911's.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I carry and recomend a Springfield Micro Compact Loaded. Never a hiccup. Wish I could say the same about a couple of Kimbers I've had.

Another vote for Kimber, either the 3" Ultra or the 4" Pro or Compact line. You'll find that with 1911's and most common methods of carry (other than appendix), the barrel isn't the hard part to conceal, but the grip/frame. So you might do will with the Compact 4". Personally I'm not crazy about less than 4" on a 1911 just from a reliability and bullet performance standpoint. And I'm not crazy about giving up a round from the already limited capacity, so I go for 4" to 4.25" full frame guns like my Kimber Pro CDP and Colt Commander. With a proper holster and most body builds, you shouldn't have a problem concealing even a full-size 1911, so my advice would be not to cut it down too small unless you have a very compelling reason (BUG, pocket/appendix/ankle carry, etc.)
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by private91 View Post
    I remember seeing a post from a lady with a holster where she carried the mag backwards, the pistol she was carrying was one I was interested in can't find it again either...
    This one?

JD

JD, That is the one I was thinking of, what is that pistol?

Thanks to everyone that responded, I appreciate all responses. Half the fun for me in buying a new firearm is spending too many hours researching it.

I want a 1911 pistol, but I have spoiled myself with a titanium 45 Colt revolver and like the light weight would like to thin it out a little though, w/o going up in weight, so will look at some options. I have always shot short barrel pistols or revolvers so the smaller the better.

Also, I finally found the website I was originally asking about. Pretty good site, not just pistols but rifles, shotguns and revolvers also.

Pistol Reviews Forum and Reference Guide at GunDirectory.com
    Don't Blame Me I Voted for McCain!
    Better to be 2nd than a

I run a Colt 'Defender' but the gun that _converted_ both myself and my former long term shooting buddy was a Kimber Ultra Carry 3.5" compact.

My Lord what a smooth and accurate shooting piece of finely crafted metal. Prior to that day at the range rental on a whim the both of us were dyed in the wool Sig 'Classic' fans, and we still are (me P226 & 220 and he P228).
    And this gun was a rental that had been very much used and abused...but still it ran like a top and was quite accurate even running old school yellow box Remington FMJ.

IMHO a 4" or 4.25" Commander length sitting on top of a shortened length Officer type frame is the perfect match for carry.
    As accurate as a full size without the weight, long draw from holster length, and easiest to wear all day everywhere doing everything.
    I had a Springfield 'Lightweight Compact' setup as such for years steel on an aluminum alloy frame and that thing was _excellent_. Sadly it broke it's extractor in a way that made it non-repairable and that model is no longer manufactured. I replaced it with a full size all steel SA 1911.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links