Walther P99c Impressions...

This is a discussion on Walther P99c Impressions... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who in the forum has a Walther P99c AS? I am considering getting one for my girlfriend and would like some feedback from the community ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther P99c Impressions...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Who in the forum has a Walther P99c AS? I am considering getting one for my girlfriend and would like some feedback from the community as to any praise or known issues. I am interested in the 9MM for her because she shot my SA XD .40c it barked a little too hard for her tastes. I know the QA (quick-action trigger) model is in the photo but I am interested in the AS (anti-stress trigger) model. Thanks.

Picked on up once and promptly put it down. Didn't like the feel in my hand. I have no trigger time on one so I can't comment to that but as far as initial impression upon handling. Didn't like it.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

bmp

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I have experience with the QA trigger only. The gun itself is a very competent pistol that has great ergonomics, milder than expected recoil, more than acceptable accuracy and high reliability. I compare this pistol favorably to my HK P2000SK (and that is high praise).

The one and only foible I detected was the annoying pointy base of the magazine, which made reloading a balancing act. The Walther P99c is a quality CCW IMHO. If my HK ever goes down, the Walther will be it's substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I have experience with the QA trigger only. The gun itself is a very competent pistol that has great ergonomics, milder than expected recoil, more than acceptable accuracy and high reliability. I compare this pistol favorably to my HK P2000SK (and that is high praise).

The one and only foible I detected was the annoying pointy base of the magazine, which made reloading a balancing act. The Walther P99c is a quality CCW IMHO. If my HK ever goes down, the Walther will be it's substitute.
    Can you explain the characteristics of the QA trigger? Is the QA a suitable configuration for a female who will only likey use it in a home defense scenario or occasional carry?

How exactly does the de-cocker function? Thanks for your input.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Can you explain the characteristics of the QA trigger? Is the QA a suitable configuration for a female who will only likey use it in a home defense scenario or occasional carry?

How exactly does the de-cocker function? Thanks for your input.
    The QA trigger is similar to the Glock. The decocker is used only to take the gun apart for cleaning.

The QA is perfectly suitable for a female for use in home defense. Most Walther fans, though, prefer the AS trigger because of the very sweet single action pull after the first shot, which is D/A. In the AS, you can also use the decocker to put the gun back into DA mode.

I had the AS compact in 9mm and liked it very much.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Administrator
    This pistol was supposed to be what the M&P is today; there is a few reasons why this one is all but extinct and the M&P is now the flag ship for S&W.

I don't want to start a war here, but the 99's didnt exactly prove themselves in the LE or military markets. It would probably be just fine though in limited use applications.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I have this gun in the .40 mode. There are some personal preference issues which sometimes cause me to regret my choice, and other times I cheer myself for my choice.

If I had it to do over again, I think I would seriously consider this same gun in 9mm, which is what you are thinking about getting. OTOH, I am thinking too of an XD subcompact.

I really like the .40 caliber 99c quite well when I am using 165 grain bullets instead of the 180, and that has to do with a muzzle tilt issue which I think will be mostly absent in 9mm. (Also with someone who has little more bulk in their arms and strength in their wrists.)

I like the AS trigger/decocker/ and it is very easy to cock this gun with a light short movement of the slide, if you are disinclined to carry it cocked with one in the pipe. So, you get two choices...use the DA trigger for the first shot or move the slide about an inch. In a real deal struggle, the DA trigger will be perfect for that first shot and the SA after will allow easy follow through.

I don't however use my 99c as a carry gun, which was my original intention when I bought it. I've found by trial and error that I prefer a slightly smaller gun for concealment and carry a Mustang. For home defense, my 99c is it, next to the bed.

One problem I have had is that there seem to be few holster options for the 99c in .40; I have hesitated to buy the ones for 9 mm in the hope they might work, or the ones for the Walther equivalent--again, because I am not sure if they would be an exact fit.

VIP Member

I think Sixto is spot on here

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This pistol was supposed to be what the M&P is today; there is a few reasons why this one is all but extinct and the M&P is now the flag ship for S&W.

I don't want to start a war here, but the 99's didnt exactly prove themselves in the LE or military markets. It would probably be just fine though in limited use applications.
    I think Sixto is spot on here. One problem I ran into straight off was a broken recoil spring after about 3000 rounds. It took S&W more than 6 months to get me a new one. Now, I'm constantly on edge that this will go and I'll be left with a paper weight. I have no idea if or how they might have changed the recoil spring on the newer M&P models, or if I just got a lemon.

I've looked for after market springs at Wolf and similar but not found them for the 99c .40.

I've got a P99c AS. I don't have my license to carry it yet, but that will be my carry gun when I do. I have it in .40 and love it. I don't have too much trouble with the recoil personally, but I can see how some people wouldn't like it. I've never tried the QA model. Good luck!

VIP Member

How do you plan to carry this gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth87 View Post
    I've got a P99c AS. I don't have my license to carry it yet, but that will be my carry gun when I do. I have it in .40 and love it. I don't have too much trouble with the recoil personally, but I can see how some people wouldn't like it. I've never tried the QA model. Good luck!
    How do you plan to carry this gun? Purse? Fanny Pack? On your body? What holster?

I'm asking because I dislike IWB, OWB isn't legal, and so I generally pocket carry. I find this gun a tad too large for pocket carry although it actually is possible. In fact, I have an el-cheapo Uncle Mikes IWB holster which could easily be modified to make a nice pocket holster-- if my wife would add about one inch to the length of my rt front pocket.

I had a S&W99 which to be fair is not suppossed to be as good as the Walther. That said it was, other than a 1911, the most comfortable grip I have ever used BUT . . . The trigger was awful, fit was so so, accuracy was not up to standards, and I hated the mag release because I tried to use it for USPSA in those days when I had only 1 gun (the bad but richer days).

Key word "had" BTW I feel that type of mag release is fine for SD/EDC.

You will get a much better idea if you go to the Walther Forums. Plenty of well informed discussions.
    I see that you own a Walther PPS. I believe the QA is very close to it. There are discussions on the PPS also.

I have both the P99 & P99c and find them to be perfect for my needs. (P99 since 2000).

The P99c is my every day carry IWB.

Common Sense, the rarest of all senses

I have one in 9mm - both the compact and the fullsize p99 A/S. Love them both. I had a Glock 26 for 8 years efore i discovered the p99s.

I have the slides of both P99s hard chromes. They still look brand new. I prefer the P99c MUCH better to the Glock.

1 thing to consider - slides are hard to move for some females. My wife and mother could not work the slides on either of my P99s. Only the HK USPc worked in that regard. the slide is easier to pull back.

how about the walther PPS for her ? its a bit smaller and thinner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links