Looking for a new CC handgun.

This is a discussion on Looking for a new CC handgun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a S&W sigma .40Ve and was thinking of getting a different carry weapon. I am pretty new at cocealed carry (just got permit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new CC handgun.

Looking for a new CC handgun.

I own a S&W sigma .40Ve and was thinking of getting a different carry weapon. I am pretty new at cocealed carry (just got permit 2 weeks ago). I was looking at the new XDm and xd's. What would be another good carry?

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I like Glock.

I have looked at them and shot a few at the range. What model would you recomend. (having a bad spelling day)

Which ones have you shot? Are accurate with? The G19 is very versatile and can be concealed. What caliber are you more specific on, or are you? Do you believe you are limited on size for your carry pistol? Sub-compact, medium, large? How well are you concealing your current pistol? What size is it compared to the others you've tried?

I shot the G19 and 26. My sigma is close to the same size i believe, about medium frame i believe. I have shot 9mm all the way up to .44mag but would prefer a caliber between 9mm and .45acp. I do carry my sigma in a nylon pancake right now. My wife i leetting buy another handgun for my birthday next week.

I carried an XD subcompact for a while. It is certainly a nice shooter, feels good in the hand and is reliable, but it felt like a brick on my hip when carrying it iwb. I had it in a crossbreed supertuck holster, supported by a beltman belt. That xd was chunky and just never felt good on my side no matter how or where I put it. Before I carried the XD, I carried an M&P compact. That was a nice gun and you should look at them. I had a first generation model and they had some early issues like rust and a mag release problem. These problems have since been fixed and they are great guns. I now carry a Colt Defender, and I love it, but like you I am right now looking for a new ccw. I want something that can get banged up, dirty, wet, and still go bang when needed. Basically I want something for those places where my Defender would rather not be.

I am going Glock. You can't beat the amount of aftermarket and repair parts for glock. You would be hard pressed to find such a low maintenance, yet reliable gun. They are easy to take-down, like I said you can get parts anywhere. They eat any kind of ammo, holsters for them are everywhere. When comparing the G26 to an XD subcompact, the difference is actually quite significant. I used my friends 26 for ccw a few times while I was fixing up my Colt, and I loved it. It carried so easily. Anyway, your best bet is to try a few different guns and see what YOU like best. I will say that having carried an XDsubcompact ,.40, an M&Pcompact 9mm, and a Glock26, I am going with the Glock, probably be buying it this weekend!!!
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I also read somewhere that the XDm was suppose to be a bit less chunky and lighter. I shot the xd in .45 and 9 and loved it but also liked the glocks. Such hard decisions to make.....

Check out the Glock 36.................

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm
    "The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil." (Ted Nugent)

Thing about Glocks.....the 9mm, 357sig, 40 S&W calibers are all the same size pistols and.......fit some of the same holsters their larger and smaller brothers and sisters do! The G27 is 40cal and the same size as the G26. Recoil isn't much more, but a bit different. If you can conceal the G19 well, then you could still go for a G23 or G33 in something more than the 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    When comparing the G26 to an XD subcompact, the difference is actually quite significant....
    Don't really see how...width is only few hundredths inch diff anywhere...one is slimmer than the other here and there, depending on where measured...

- OS

VIP Member
    I personally carry a Sig 228. That said, I'd highly recommend any of the Glock pistols, I used to be a devoted fan, but I found the Sig just points more naturally for me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I shot the sig but it just did not feel right to me. I think i have it limited down to a G19 or the Xdm 9mm

I also had a Sigma at one time. I could never get a group small enough to give me the confidence to carry it. Went through a bunch of other guns over the years including 1CZ,2S&W,1Star,&1Charles Daly. All shot pretty good but none concealed well enough for me to carry every day. After a whole lot of money and a long time I settled on a Glock 26 as my edc. It is the best gun for me. You can get a vast array of holsters that will allow you to carry it many ways. And best of all it is accurate! Wish I had gone Glock a long time ago.

george, thats why i am looking to get a different ccw. i even did some trigger work to my sigma but i getting tighter groups usinig rental guns. I will still have it at the house....just in case...

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I carry an XDsc9 and am very happy with it, like the way it feels in my hand, points where I look. It is just a gun that fits me and that is what you need to do is handle, shot and find the one that is you. If I was to buy another pistol it would most likely be a service XD most likely in a 9mm. If the Glocks felt better in my hand I would look hard at a G19, I like its size. Falls in the middle of the XDsc and Service in grip length. Grip length is the concealment problem of a carry piece I think.

So get as many different guns in hand and pick what YOU LIKE not what someone else likes.

MY 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links