It's a SIG!

This is a discussion on It's a SIG! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after much thought and research, including picking your brains on this forum, I went ahead and plunked down the bucks for a new Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a SIG!

Talking It's a SIG!

Well, after much thought and research, including picking your brains on this forum, I went ahead and plunked down the bucks for a new Sig P229 DAK in .40 S&W plus ordered a new MTAC holster to go with it!

I had thought about getting a 9mm, but when it was all said and done I decided on the .40 instead. That way if I'm ever forced to use FMJ ammo I'll at least be making slightly bigger holes!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

2. Remove Ads

Great investment, I don't think you will ever be sorry for the decision on the .40.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Congrats. You cannot go wrong with .40 S&W.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Congrats. You cannot go wrong with .40 S&W.
    or a Sig, a DAK trigger or an MTAC. Good setup.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Great choice. Don't forget that all it takes is a drop-in barrel to convert to .357 SIG - a great defensive round. Practice with the less expensive .40 S&W and carry the .357 SIG. Just remember, that if you go this route, they shoot to two different POA's. Sight for dead-on with the .357 and use a 6 o'clock hold with the .40.

Practice extensively so you can make the best use of the two trigger reset points. I have spoken to the Phila DA's firearms training instructor (they carry P229's with the DAK trigger) and he says that, once thoroughly acclimated to the trigger, that you are conscious of the two reset points even during rapid fire.

Good luck with your new acquisition.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    or a Sig, a DAK trigger or an MTAC. Good setup.
    I was thinking about a Crossbreed Supertuck, but I already have one of those and it's great, but I wanted to give an MTAC a try too.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

If you're willing to wait a bit, think about getting a K&D Dakota Defender.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    If you're willing to wait a bit, think about getting a K&D Dakota Defender.
    I went with the MTAC because it's well liked and I can get one fast. As soon as I get some rounds throught it and feel confident in it and myself I'll be using it as my primary carry weapon.

I also have some Federal HSTs on order for my carry rounds, but plan on putting a few hundred rounds of cheaper stuff through it before I carry it.

Later on I plan on getting some really nice leather for it!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good job on the sig
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    You Stop Being A Leader When Your Men Stop Coming To You With Their Problems
    That is very true!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Lead Moderator
    SIG 229, great choice..... Of course there is the bad news now. SIGs are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

I've got a 229 in .40 and have gotten the 357 barrel, not a requirement, but fun!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Just remember, that if you go this route, they shoot to two different POA's. Sight for dead-on with the .357 and use a 6 o'clock hold with the .40.
    Could someone translate this for me?
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Could someone translate this for me?
    He's saying aim center on the bullseye with the .357 SIG barrel, but hold at the bottom of the bullseye with the .40 S&W barrel.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    SIG 229, great choice..... Of course there is the bad news now. SIGs are like potato chips, you can't have just one!

I've got a 229 in .40 and have gotten the 357 barrel, not a requirement, but fun!
    I thought that might be a problem!

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Congratulations on your Sig. My 226 has been flawless for over 10,000 rds. Don't think you have to pay a fortune and wait a year for good leather. On the Sig forum everyone loved Milt Sparks VMII and after a while a similar rig from T&T Gunleather is about 60% of the price and a 6-8 week wait.

BTW I have both and like the T&T better.

Also a little known requirement is that you must have a Sig in 9mm and .45 also. Sorry but its the rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links