Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on Your Thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are going shopping today for an auto for my girlfriend, who will be taking her CCW class (finally) this month. This decision after an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts

Your Thoughts

We are going shopping today for an auto for my girlfriend, who will be taking her CCW class (finally) this month. This decision after an altercation with a transient in an intersection (she was on her Harley).

We will simply look, touch, compare. Go back in a week for the purchase, so she can think about it throughly.

She prefers an auto to a revolver. She likes my little P32, but admits it is small. She doesn't care for the Glock 23 (too fat), she does a fair job with my 1911, but admits a full 5" it's too big for her purse.

Anyhow what model does you lady like? Weight and fit of hand primarily.

(Thanks in advance for your input)

2. Remove Ads

Have her try either the Glock 26 or Kimber Ultra Carry II.
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My diminutive 4' 10" girlfriend likes the way my Walther PPS fits in her hand. I have also been looking at a Walther P99c AS for her. This week I will take her to the range and let her try the G36 (slimline subcompact Glock .45).

Perhaps a Kahr? They have several models and sizes. Surely something will fit her hand. If she's sensitive to recoil, a steel Kahr will have less recoil than a similar sized polymer.

Any opportunities nearby to rent and shoot different guns?

Check out the Kahr line. In 9mm, for example, the K9 has the most amazing fit/ergonomics for my hand. A bit stiff to operate (slide), and with a bunch of sharp edges, it's still a wonderful option.

The Heckler-Koch P2000SK might be a good choice. Fairly small and light, known for reliability and durability, easy to carry.

As well, if she's open to the 1911 platform, you can consider one of the smaller 1911 options out there, such as: Springfield EMP 9mm, Springfield Micro Compact, Kimber Aegis 9mm, Kimber CDP Pro Ultra. All are easy to carry and conceal. Choices in caliber.

Para Ordnance also has a few compact options as well, including the Carry 9, the Carry (.45), or the PDA (.45 or 9mm).

Whatever else you do, definitely consider actually shooting them. Nothing beats saddle time, when it comes to understanding how a gun will feel when shot. Some fit well, look great, but then recoil nastier than an angry snake.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    If she likes the 1911 platform, how 'bout a Springfield EMP?
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Perhaps a Kahr? They have several models and sizes. Surely something will fit her hand. If she's sensitive to recoil, a steel Kahr will have less recoil than a similar sized polymer.

Any opportunities nearby to rent and shoot different guns?
    There's not a place in town (that I am aware of).

Bass Pro has the largest selection in one location, so that does help. We will make the actual purchase from a small shop that I frequent.

JD
    Administrator
    My wife is rather fond of 1911s in the 3" and 4" variety.

Her normal EDC (pre-pregnancy) was a 4", steel frame 1911.

Some other guns she's carried have been a Bersa .380 and Colt .380.

Haven't gotten around to her getting a Kahr yet, but alot of women tend to like them as well.

Just so long as it fits her hand well and it won't physically hurt to shoot it for long, my wife actually hurt her wrist pretty good after shooting a couple hundred rounds through her 3" Kimber over the course of two days, that's what directed her to the steel frame 4" gun.

EW3
    Kahr PM9 or MK9: small, slim, striker fired DAO with a trigger smooth like butta...
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

A Kimber Ultra CDP, or a Glock-36...both have smaller grips and are easy to conceal. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My mother really enjoys shooting my brother's SIG P239. I do too now that I think of it. It's easy to conceal and deadly accurate.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

If she likes 1911s, think Springfield Champion.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    My wife likes her CZ 75 Compact, 9mm. It is also available in .40 S&W if she prefers something a little bigger in caliber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Anyhow what model does your lady like
    P-22

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    My wife prefers j frame S&W. I know yours likes autos but you asked. By the way. Good to see another local boy on here. I was in Springfield yesterday with the wife for a Dr appointment.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links