Ultralite snubbey?

Ultralite snubbey?

This is a discussion on Ultralite snubbey? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm getting an itch for one,and I already have a ruger LCP and a glock 19 for carry.Is the snubby still viable for a carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultralite snubbey?

I'm getting an itch for one,and I already have a ruger LCP and a glock 19 for carry.Is the snubby still viable for a carry gun?If so,which one?I'm thinking of something lite,I wear mostly jeans,will they work with those?Thanks sj

I have a Jframe 642 w/Mika pocket holster and it is a tight fit in jeans, esp when you are sitting. (Back in my day we called them dungarees.) It is not a pleasure to shoot. It has more recoil than my semis; G19, M&P9c and my XD45C. However in hot weather it is the way to go for me if you wear shorts w/deep pockets.

My EDC gun is a Taurus 85 alloy ultralight. It carrys well and recoil isn't bad. Concealment is easy. In business clothes, I use a Smartcarry. I also pocket carry with a Don Hume holster that works well if my pants fit normally. It also carrys well in a Galco OWB.

"Ultralite"? --a 342pd if you can find one. Jeans carry really depends on your physique. [***for me***] The pockets aren't as deep as other trousers, keeping the cylinder above the thickest part of the quadriceps and reduces the amount of play while walking. The draw is more vertical, from a two o'clock position, which is more difficult if one has a gut or is seated--in fact the latter is practically impossible.

638 in a Kramer pocket holster. Carry this when wearing shorts or at beach. Yes its only .38 special, but I can get plenty of practice with it and still have a hand after.
    I'm your worst nightmare, a liberal with a gun.

I wear mostly Levi's 505 jeans and I have a S&W 642 that I've been carrying in a High Noon Split Decision holster (IWB tuckable - carry at about 3:30). I'm new to CC and am still going through the "everybody's looking at my CCW" worries but so far it's been difficult even for me to detect it on me when I look in mirrors. I'm tall and slim and this seems to be working for me so far. I also have a DeSantis Nemesis for pocket carry when I choose and that's also been no problem in concealing; this option also offers a fast draw.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

+1 638 in pocket holster. I have this gun and its a great carry snubby.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Administrator
    The snubbies have undergone a rebirth for gun carry.
    Very popular for carry these days.
    A good holster and gun belt in combination with your snubbie and it will disappear on your body.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The snubbies have undergone a rebirth for gun carry.
    Very popular for carry these days.
    A good holster and gun belt in combination with your snubbie and it will disappear on your body.
    I do believe their popularity has mainly went up due to their Reliability and good prices. Carry my S&W 36 in a HBE Leatherworks Pro TL and it disappears and is extremely comfortable.
    Not a believer (don't like) pocket carry for 2 reasons:
    *Hard to get weapon out, especially while seated, which was previously stated.
    * If you are being robbed it is a natural looking movement going for your weapon as it looks like you are pulling out your wallet. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Ya for IWB or owb i wouldn't try to shove one in a pocket - too tight a fit.

I EDC a 442 in a Kramer pocket. Just scratch that itch and get one. Everyone should have one and everyone that gets one usually agrees it has a place in the collection. IMO it has never gone out of style, but they're definitely an icon now.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

My EDC is a 642 in either a Mika or Nemesis pocket holster. Most of my existing pants accommodated it, and now I just buy new pants with deep pockets.

Everyone should have a snubbie. They're not easy to master, but to me at least, they're better than a mousegun like a .32.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

All pockets are not equal...

The poster mentioned that he wears jeans a lot, but didn't say what style of jeans. I have found that with normal Levis that pocket carry of a snubby is not as easy as with docker type pants. The reason is that Levi pockets have a top opening that is slightly scooped and more "horizontal". The grip of a snubby J frame almost peeks out because of this.

Docker type khaki pants have deeper pockets than jeans, and a more "vertical" opening on the pocket. They are also cut a little fuller, and may have pleats which allow a little expansion. A snubby seems to hide better in these pockets. I would also recommend darker colored pants to hide the pocket gun, as opposed to tan colors.

For jeans carry you might consider a real "mouse gun", a semiauto that is smaller and shorter than a snubby. The Keltec P32 is a common one of these, or the polymer .380s made by Kahr and Ruger.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

My 637 is my EDC that replaced my XD-45C for carry duty!

I liked my snub so well I bought a MP360 for its little brother! It will be here next week. I'd totally sold on the snubs now!

In my daily life, I require many different concealment options because in my work, I'm often in business or business casual attire. I use a round cut Mika Pocket Holster and a Renegade Ankle Holster most often in these situations. When I go casual I use an OWB pancake holster.

Warning: If you get a snub it will NOT be your last and your semi-autos may begin to feel neglected.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

Carried a S&W 442 Airweight (~16oz) for years, with all sorts of clothing, all year 'round. It's a good choice, if 5rds is sufficient.

Caution on the ultra-light stuff, though. You'll want to shoot a few dozen rounds first, before you believe it'll be just the thing. The reason is due to the sharp recoil that the lightweight units impart on your hand. It's not for everyone.

Shoot a few, then shoot a Ruger SP 101 for comparison.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links