Sig P229 or Walther P99

This is a discussion on Sig P229 or Walther P99 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dad said he would buy me my first handgun for xmas this year so I've started the search and kind of narrowed it down ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig P229 or Walther P99

Sig P229 or Walther P99

My dad said he would buy me my first handgun for xmas this year so I've started the search and kind of narrowed it down to either the P229 or P99. I went to a gun store today and held both guns and like how both of them feel in the hand.

I do like the lighter weight of the P99, but I do somewhat prefer the hammer on the Sig, though the lack of a hammer on the P99 is by no means a deal breaker.

Both guns are the size I'm looking for, large enough to be fairly accurate yet small enough to use for some concealed carry down the road if needed.

Anybody have any thoughts on either of these guns that will make my decision any easier? BTW, I am lefty, and yes I did look at a few Glocks but that's not really what I want right now.

Thanks a bunch guys!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I think Sigs are about as good as it gets, but you should really try to rent/borrow/shoot both of them before you make a decision. It is going to be you who carries it, after all...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Lead Moderator
    The 229, without a doubt!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Love my 229.

For me it is weighted and balanced well and fits my hand comfortably. As a result I can shoot it better than most others.

Sig dependability is historic. Walther is equally as popular.

Shoot both, handle and fondle both. Find what suits you best and not what someone else likes.

Look well to your decision, both are excellent firearms. (Think about getting night sights)
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Administrator
    There is no comparison. The Sig is the better gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Both are very high quality guns. The Sig is going to be heavier and a bit less sexy than the Walther. The grip on the Walther was designed by Molini, who is the guy who designs all the grips for the Olympic class pistols and rifles. That is Why the Walther typically feels better in the hand to most people. Go with what you like, either way rest assured you will be getting top quality engineering.

I like the Sig

I've owned a P229 in .40 for about 7 years, and it is one of my favorite guns. It is a wonderful range or home defense gun, and is small enough to carry concealed. The weight of the P229 is significant (32 ounces) which allows it to handle recoil very well.

I don't have the Walther you mentioned, but have handled one. Its big advantages are a very ergonomic grip and light weight, so it is considered a good carry gun. Walther is a reputable manufacturer, as well.

Here is my P229:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Both are quality pistols that I wouldn't mind owning so I don't see how you can go wrong picking either of them. Good luck with such a nice problem may
    you have such problem all your life !

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    SIG! Not a Sig fan but it is FAR better than the P99. The Walther has an abysmal trigger! Not that I fell strongly about the issue or anything.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

The weight difference favors the P99. The location of the hammer-dropping safety favors the SIG. Otherwise, I consider as them equals.

You won't go wrong with the SIG....

I caution you, however, they are like potato chips...you can't have just one.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I own a 226 and a P99....Love them both...P99 is really accurate and slim (.40) .....recently found a great holster for the SIG..... ahhhhggg, I'm not helping, am I?!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    You won't go wrong with the SIG....

I caution you, however, they are like potato chips...you can't have just one.
    +1

I love my Sig 229 so much that I bought a P232 for my wife. Now I want a P239.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

If you've tried out both and are still undecided then I vote for the Sig.

P.S. Do you think there is anyway I can get your Dad to adopt me before xmas?
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

SIGS ARE GREAT! I love my 229. Its very easy and comfortable to shoot. Its very accurate, and i like the da/sa on it. You can't go wrong with 229.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links