What's Best for Snake Shot?

This is a discussion on What's Best for Snake Shot? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Doing some panning for gold in rattlesnake country and was wondering if it would worth getting a Taraus (can't spell) 45/410 judge or just some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Best for Snake Shot?

Doing some panning for gold in rattlesnake country and was wondering if it would worth getting a Taraus (can't spell) 45/410 judge or just some shot shells in my .38 have any thoughts ?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by draco1 View Post
    Doing some panning for gold in rattlesnake country and was wondering if it would worth getting a Taraus (can't spell) 45/410 judge or just some shot shells in my .38 have any thoughts ?
    Don't know how many folks here would agree with me, but in the old days we had a snake problem on our demo range. I got basically a real cheap "Saturday night special", and carried "snake shot" in it. Didn't want to risk messing the barrel of a "good" weapon.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I used to tuck my NAA Mini with snake shot IWB...now, when we go to collect pine needles (for wife's basket making hobby), I now just take my S&W 637 with .38 snake shot...it works!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If I deem it necessary to shoot snakes I just use what's holstered on my belt, generally a .38 Special with conventional 158 grain ammunition. A shovel or even a handy rock works well.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    While it isnt very handy to carry a weed whacker works very well. Sent a couple of copperheads to snake heaven this summer with mine.

I've got a Taurus 4410 (pre-judge ad campaign) and I think it's a great outdoors gun, very versatile given the wide array of ammunition you can use in it. When I'm working out back or hiking the woods I carry it with 2 .410 #6's and 3 .45LC 250gr GDHP's. Mine has 3" barrel and carries just fine in a nylon holster made for a medium frame 4" barrel revolver, also I think Blackhawk has recently introduced a Serpa holster specifically for it.

My Aunt Jane used to "break their backs" with a stiff blow from a shovel then cut their heads off and bury them. She lived to be 99 years old! She didn't like to waste ammo.

A Taurus Judge is a cool idea, but a waste other than the "cool factor" in my opinion. .45 LC is not an overly impressive handgun cartridge (however it was in its time) and you can only shoot 2 1/2" .410 in it which can be hard to find on the shelf.

I saw one of the Judge shirts last night and it has the Shoot-n-See target oblierated by the .410 shell. Yes, that's impressive, but the 1 inch of penetration isn't exactly what we're looking for for personal defense.

I'd get some .38 shotshells if you think you need them.

Now you have the perfect excuse to add a 22 wheel gun to your collection, a ruger single six would be perfect for snakes and real cheap to shoot.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

One of these should take care of any snake you come across

I bought a Taurus Judge for just that purpose....what a mistake

I live on the river bank and see cotton mouths that want to move in with me, so I wanted something lite to carry around for snake control...bought a Judge...first time at the range it locked up as the cylinder heat stuck the 410 casing to the cylinder. Had to use a punch to break them loose. The 45LC as has been stated is not a useful round, imo. Got shed of that thing and replaced it with the below to shoot shot shells in. Works great and with 7 rounds to boot.

It came with the laser grips, so I just use that for night crawlers
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

BAC
    I don't shoot snakes (I relocate them), but I can't see it being very easy to hit a snake even with "snake shot". Bird shot from a .410 out of something like the Judge or Tracker, maybe, but even then...

-B

CCI makes a bird-shot round with a sabot to prevent barrel damage. Don't know about other ammo makers.

I like to think that I "relocate" them also...from this life to ....well, you get the picture
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

For a number of years I went hiking with a .38 Special loaded with the first 2 chamber with snake shot and the next 4 with standard rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links