Ruger P345 question

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a buddy who is planning to purchase a P345, mostly to range shoot and for home protection. Overall, Ruger makes good guns but ...

Thread: Ruger P345 question

Ruger P345 question

I have a buddy who is planning to purchase a P345, mostly to range shoot and for home protection. Overall, Ruger makes good guns but there are reports of the pistol breaking with too many dry fires. Would a snap-cap help that? What have been your experiences with the gun?

As a side note, the firearm industry should send Obama and Biden a thank you note, with the overall economy slowing gun sales are up as high as 20% in some places. Of course this may be short-lived come Jan 21st.
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

2. Remove Ads

it doesn't break if you dry fire it per the instruction manual....as long as you dry fire it w/ an EMPTY magazine you're fine. the p345 has that damn magazine disconnect safety. so what happens is you pull the trigger w/ the magazine out to dry fire and it hits some bar or something...do it enough times and when its loaded it doesn't go bang...i know i'm one of the people that had it happen. just got it back from ruger. free repair, and i don't know if i was supposed to but they sent me a magazine back w/ the gun :-D now i have 6. its a great gun i carry mine all the time i prefer it to my XD just b/c its easier to conceal on my small frame.

if he plans to do IDPA tell him to bring his instruction manual since they make you dry fire w/o a magazine in place to make sure the weapon is 100% safe...thats how my p345 messed up

oh and a snap cap will not help btw...like i said its all b/c of the magazine safety disconnect not allowing it to fire w/o a magazine in the gun. there's a way to get rid of that if i remember reading correctly somewhere the spring for the safety is under the rear sight. when you take off the rear sight be careful i'll fly out @ you..or so i read

I bought mine new in the box from my local gun store. I never dry fired it without an empty mag in it and in less than 1 year I started to get a lot of click-no-bang.

It would happen mostly in the first DA shot and maybe twice in SA.

What can you say about a gun that you pull the trigger on and it doesn't go off? IMHO it becomes an expensive paper weight or strictly a range gun.

Traded it about two months ago.

Ummm? I've had good performance with extensive use (firing) of my P345. Also have had responsible, timely service from Ruger on any issue I've ever had with a Ruger product. And NEVER have had any click (no bang) problems with one. But, admittedly, I use snap-caps for any/every extended dry-fire exercise. I would & happily do carry a P345 in harm's way.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The Ruger 345 is my carry gun. I had the click - no bang problem.

I polished the sear/hammer for a much improved trigger.
    I removed the mag disconnect (I didn't want one anyway) and no more click - no bang problem.

I put in a stronger recoil spring to make sure the round got chambered since I had a couple that didn't make it all the way in.

The gun has been perfect since then. Best trigger pull of any handgun I have.

Maybe I should not have needed to do those things to make the gun right. However, it is practically perfect for me now. It conceals well and I shoot it very well. Of all the CCW guns I have tried this one is the best for me at any price. Even after buying a couple of springs it is still inexpensive.

I would not carry a "stock" 345 however. I would only carry one if it had the mag disconnect removed and the recoil spring was verified to be right for the ammo I was using. (I believe they put in a weak recoil spring and take up the extra recoil with the stiff "buffer". I think that made feeding "iffy").

- just my opinion of course.

hmm interesting some people are having problems with dry firing even with the mag in. didn't know that. thats good to know. mine is still stock except for the sights i'm having done now and whatever parts Ruger put in it to repair the damage i did dry firing w/o the mag in. i've put at least 1500-2000 rounds through it. and thats just reloads too. i think in all that time i've had one slide lock with a non empty mag during an IDPA match. guess i'll have to pay more attention if people are having problems like you guys are....its still my carry gun has been since i bought it though

I had a Ruger 345 for a couple years. I had it running good after a few hundred rounds. Dry fire with the mag in place or remove the mag drop safety. I have a problem with these safety "features" . Ruger did a nice job hiding the IL key hole. But, it is still there. So, while my example of a P345 performed well, by design, it did not meet my CCW needs. My ultimate fix for the P345 was to trade it towards a Glock 30. I'm very happy with my G30. I still have 2 Ruger Mark II pistols, and a 10/22 deluxe. I carry Glocks and Smith & Wesson 1911 or Pre-Lock revolver.

There seem to be enough quirky things now, I keep a snap cap in every gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    There seem to be enough quirky things now, I keep a snap cap in every gun.
    Do you have a P345 or use snap caps in other guns?
    --
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

Links