p99 Walther

This is a discussion on p99 Walther within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a Walther P99c. Have yet to hold one. I've looked in vain on the Walther website. I cannot find any information regarding safeties ...

Thread: p99 Walther

p99 Walther

I'm considering a Walther P99c. Have yet to hold one. I've looked in vain on the Walther website. I cannot find any information regarding safeties other than a hammer drop. even that is not described as far as how to operate it. Would someone please fill me in on the operation?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This is essentially the same as the S&W 99c. No safeties. It is DA/SA with a decocker. No safety needed.

If you want something with a safety, consider a different style of gun, like a 1911 or even the Springfield XD series which have a grip safety.

Very many handguns come with no safety whatsoever, and that is perfectly OK if you make a point of following the rules. E.g., revolvers don't have safeties.

I have a Walther P99 <not compact> .40 and love it. It is actually my daily carry weapon and as Hopyard has already said, no safetys but the one pulling the trigger. If you get it you will enjoy the weapon. I also carry a 1911 and several B-HP's and they too are hard to beat.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I am looking at the P99c AS too. It is not secret that I am a Walther fan and the P99c AS is a gun I would like to have in my collection. I was at the Gun Store tonight picking up my girlfriend from her NRA safety course and I was groping the S&W 99 (nearly identical to the P99) and the fit was good for my small hand but it was a little too chunky for her small hand. I think I will have to wait a couple months before grabbing the P99 and get her a S&W Model 40 Classic Revolver for Christmas.

For now my surplus cash is going into EBR's.

One thing I have noticed (and learned from others) about the P99C (the 9mm at least). Once in a great great while, when the pull is on the hair trigger (single action) the firing pin does not strike the round. The thing we have not tested is to see if after the single action failure if a double action attempt would work (anyone know if this would work).

I expect a little heat for writing this, but I'm just being honest about my experience and two other people I spoke to at the range. I have also read a few remarks about this. Appears very rare. I believe it is a cleaning issue (but I'm not sure what my wife & I are doing wrong).

The two I spoke to at the range (and I have read once on the internet) that 1,000 (so around 400 more rounds) will provide a good break period and resolve the issue.

My wife likes the firearm (and it is hers), but it worries me a little.

PS - My wife has difficulty CC the P99C. She wants a PPS.

My S&W Model 39 has a decocker/hammer drop on the side that I work with my thumb. Where is the Walther decocker located?

I currently have a Colt Government Model 1911. My favorite shooting handgun as of lately!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    One thing I have noticed (and learned from others) about the P99C (the 9mm at least). Once in a great great while, when the pull is on the hair trigger (single action) the firing pin does not strike the round. The thing we have not tested is to see if after the single action failure if a double action attempt would work (anyone know if this would work).
    I experienced that a few times with my P99c. It does have a double strike capability and it worked each time to fire the round.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I experienced that a few times with my P99c. It does have a double strike capability and it worked each time to fire the round.
    Thanks. Makes me feel better, as I know in a Home SD situation, my spouce will empty a clip into a BG. So that second strike could be important.

VIP Member

Never experienced that

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I've not experienced that with my .40. Maybe it is a 9 mm thing.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    I'm considering a Walther P99c. Have yet to hold one. I've looked in vain on the Walther website. I cannot find any information regarding safeties other than a hammer drop. even that is not described as far as how to operate it. Would someone please fill me in on the operation?
    There is no seperate safety lever, nor is there a hammer. All P99s are striker fired. There are three different triggers available in the P99, "Quick Action", or QA, DAO, and "Anti-Stress" or AS. The QA and AS triggers both have a decock button on top of the slide, in front of the rear sight. The DAO doesn't need one of course.

I have never personally experienced a light strike with a Walther P99c, but it is possible. The lighter the trigger, the more prone they can be to have too little energy. The quality of primers has much to do with light strikes also.

IMHO, the Walther P99c is an outstanding CCW. My trigger choice was the QA.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    there a hammer. All P99s are striker fired. There are three different triggers available in the P99, "Quick Action", or QA, DAO, and "Anti-Stress" or AS. The QA and AS triggers both have a decock button on top of the slide, in front of the rear sight. The DAO doesn't need one of course.
    Just for clarification prposes, the decocker on the AS puts the trigger into DA mode from SA. The decocker on the QA trigger is used only for purposes of taking the gun apart, unless Walther has changed that recently.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Links