SIG 229 question...

This is a discussion on SIG 229 question... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own a SIG 229 chambered for 40 S&W. My first question is can you buy a SIG 229 barrel chambered for 9mm and place ...

Thread: SIG 229 question...

SIG 229 question...

I own a SIG 229 chambered for 40 S&W. My first question is can you buy a SIG 229 barrel chambered for 9mm and place in the SIG 229 I own. Second question: Would the 40 S&W magazines be able to effectively feed 9mm ammo in to the gun provided you could fit the 9mm barrel in the gun without issue. Just wondering if that were possible?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    yes and yes, also my 9mm 226 mags fit my .40cal 229Elite and will hold 7 .40cal rounds. My 9mm barrel is barsto, it seems to shoot a bit lower than the .49cal barrel. Next is a 357Sig barrel for it! Also thinking about the .22cal conversion kit.

The only problems I have are shooting cast bullets in the barsto barrel which has a tight chamber and my bullets won't seat properly
    (my OAL is almost at the minimun already) The barrel shoots TMJ,FMJ and JHP fine.

Yes. You *can* do this...

I also have a P229/.40...and bought a semi-fitted 9mm barrel from Bar-Sto about 10 years ago. It dropped in without a problem, but realized quickly that with the drop-in, the gun has to run a little wet. After about one mag, the barrel heated up and locked up the gun. I waited a few minutes for the barrel to cool, coated it with oil and didn't have a problem.

I also used the .40S&W mags--they just barely held the rounds.

Lessons learned:
    - This configuration is for range only.
    - Use 9mm mags for 9mm ammo
    - Have gun oil on hand
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm no gunsmith, but just to clarify I believe you must use a "Conversion Barrel" to go from 40/357 to 9mm (not a stock Sig 9mm barrel stated in original question) Like this...BAR-STO BARRELS - Top Gun Supply
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    I own a SIG 229 chambered for 40 S&W. My first question is can you buy a SIG 229 barrel chambered for 9mm and place in the SIG 229 I own?
    I've seen a couple of answers in the thread that may cause a little confusion, so the direct answer to your first question is a big NO! And anyone at SIG will have no problem telling you that.

Usually the there is a small difference in the frames and slides of the 9 and 357/40 weapons, even in the same number series (i.e., 229). BAR-STO is your only option that I know about.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    I've seen a couple of answers in the thread that may cause a little confusion, so the direct answer to your first question is a big NO! And anyone at SIG will have no problem telling you that.

Usually the there is a small difference in the frames and slides of the 9 and 357/40 weapons, even in the same number series (i.e., 229). BAR-STO is your only option that I know about.
    +1! You cannot just buy a SIG-Sauer 9mm barrel and drop it into a pistol chambered for .40/.357 SIG. You need a conversion barrel; Bar-sto makes those.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

+1... Must agree with this posting... buy a Bar-Sto 9mm conversion barrel... a stock P229 9mm barrel will not work in a P229 357 or 40 frame.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Is the barsto 40 to 9mm drop in barrel as accurate as the SIG 9mm barrel? I am ready to get a P229 and plan to shoot mainly 9mm rounds. However, might be nice to have the option to shoot both.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mailguy View Post
    Is the barsto 40 to 9mm drop in barrel as accurate as the SIG 9mm barrel? I am ready to get a P229 and plan to shoot mainly 9mm rounds. However, might be nice to have the option to shoot both.

Thanks
    frankly, most people will say that the bar sto shoots better than stock.

Couple other things to add as I have a 226 and have spent quite a bit of time researching this:

The Bar Sto conversion barrels are "Semi drop in" meaning sometimes a little gunsmithing is necessary for the barrel to work reliably, but it's probably on the order of 9/10 will work w/out any gunsmithing at all.
    They also make a "match target" barrel which must be fitted by bar sto.

To go between 40/357 and 9mm requires you to have a 40/357 slide, and an after market (i.e. bar sto) conversion barrel.
    You cannot go from a 9mm slide and get a 40/357 conversion barrel.
    There are no such Sig OEM conversion barrels. A standard 9mm barrel WILL NOT WORK.

As for the magazines, most report that 40/357 mags Will work fine w/ 9mm ammo, however YMMV.
    Take a look at these pics; the mag on the right is a 13 round mec gar, while the matte finish is a 12 round OEM mec gar mag that came w/ my 226.

...notice how the lips are a tad bit wider on the OEM mag?
    That slightly wider opening may not hold 9mm in place reliably (unfortunately I don't have any 9mm ammo; these are loaded w/ 40).
    So keep in mind that you may have to buy 9mm mags as well.

If you want to shoot two different calibers then pay extra for a gun that comes with two different barrels made by the factory so that you have all factory parts and will fit right and the accuracy should not be affected

Links