J Frame in hip pocket?

This is a discussion on J Frame in hip pocket? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im new and have not yet purchased my pistol. I like the Kel-Tech 3AT or Ruger LCP only because they can be easily carried in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J Frame in hip pocket?

J Frame in hip pocket?

Im new and have not yet purchased my pistol. I like the Kel-Tech 3AT or Ruger LCP only because they can be easily carried in the hip pocket. Trouble is, thats the only thing I like about them. You see, I want a J Frame snub bad but dont think anyone carries them in the hip pocket. Cant find an answer anywhere to this question. Can you help out? If it is feasible, what holster? TYVM Folks!

2. Remove Ads

You can carry it there, but forget about concealing it or sitting down. They can be concealed fairly easily in a front pocket as long as your pants aren't too tight.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

JD
    Administrator
    I had a 642 and I carried in the hip pocket, then again my pockets were big enough to accomodate it with the boot grips and it wouldn't show.

Sitting wasn't that bad, I would say that I was neither comfortable or uncomfortable, but somewhere right in the middle.

I just used a DeSantis Nemesis.

A J-frame is a pain in the butt in a rear pocket. If you drive - it hurts, if you sit - it hurts, if you walk or stand - it's OK. A flat small auto works best in a rear pocket. J frame is outstanding in a front pocket, in a IWB, in a coat pocket etc - but it hurts to sit on!!!!.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

+1 on the above. For your hip pocket, I'd go with the Keltec P3AT or the LCP, as both are small flat light weight pistols.

My P-3AT works in the pocket, but with you being in MI...it's getting colder...I'd put the snubby in a jacket pocket.

Stay armed...always ready...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I love my 442. I can carry it in a hip pocket, but it's a bit uncomfortable and the grip shows sometimes. I've found it easier to change my style of dress and buy pants that allow a front pocket carry. Carhart makes great work pants with roomy front pockets, Eddie Bauer makes dressier pants that are just made for CCW.

CDH
    I've yet to find anything that's comfortable to carry in a hip pocket unless I never have to sit down.

The 642 makes a great front pocket carry, but even then, you don't just want to stuff it in there because it'll fall to the bottom and be rather clumsy to acquire quickly.

I find that an inside-the-pocket holster like the one I (randomly) linked below keeps the pistol from printing, and it also keeps it up to where you can get it much quicker.

44825 - Ambidextrous Inside-the-Pocket Holster, 5-Shot Revolvers & Sigma .380, 2" Barrels, Size 3, Polymer Suede, Black

I carry a J-Frame in a Mika Pocket Holster in my front pocket.

I have another gun on the ankle. The reason I like a revolver in my pocket is because I want something that will have the highest probability of working when I need it most.

More than once I have drawn a sleek & slim "bottomfeeder" from my front pocket only to find the magazine partially ejected. Also, with all the lint, dirt and debris that ends up in a pocket, I feel the Revolver has a better chance of working in that environment.

Also, as far as concealability, the J-Frame, while "lumpier" is not as easy to discern as a handgun when carried in the front pocket. The angles of an Autoloader leave little doubt to the imagination as to what is in your front pocket.

Biker

S&W 940 in the front pocket, in one of these:
    http://www.desantisholster.com/030.html

I carry my 642 in my front pocket every day I go to work.

In my back pocket of any of my pants i have tried the grip stuck out.
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

S&W 642 Airweight (no-lock) J-Frame with Uncle Mike's pocket holster loaded with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP front pocket every day.

S&W 640, front pocket with a Mika holster. The 640 is a little heavy at 23 oz, unloaded, but with a good belt, I like the .357 mag. It comes out fast and shoots center. I carry it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by reingap View Post
    Im new and have not yet purchased my pistol. I like the Kel-Tech 3AT or Ruger LCP only because they can be easily carried in the hip pocket. Trouble is, thats the only thing I like about them. You see, I want a J Frame snub bad but dont think anyone carries them in the hip pocket. Cant find an answer anywhere to this question. Can you help out? If it is feasible, what holster? TYVM Folks!
    Here's one option: get the .380 for your back pocket, and then save for a snubby for the other hand front pocket, or vice versa. This gives you the benefits of two guns and an option for either hand.

I carried this way once for a doctor's appointment when I didn't feel like trying to hide a bigger holster... one of those appt.s where I knew I was gonna end up nekkid and I didn't want the doctor to know I carried.

Never heard of anyone carrying a snub in their back pocket. I have enough trouble trying to keep my wallet from bothering me because it's too thick (with cards and stuff, not money. )

Well I dont pocket carry my j frame..its in a high noon carried in iwb front around the appendix. I found it to be the best place for me. Easier to get at when sitting, comfortable to sit with and extremely easy to conceal even in shorts and a t-shirt.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links