1911 and SIG 220 Questions

This is a discussion on 1911 and SIG 220 Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guys- I know I'm about to comit blashphemy but why carry a 1911? I'm not sure why I really understand why people would carry a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 and SIG 220 Questions

1911 and SIG 220 Questions

Guys-

I know I'm about to comit blashphemy but why carry a 1911? I'm not sure why I really understand why people would carry a handgun with manual safties to manipulate. Plus they are heavy, and most require tuning to run correctly.

The reason I ask is I want to get a new carry gun, I don’t really feel comfortable with my J Frame anymore, I'd like more firepower and faster reloads. Plus who wouldn’t want to carry a 45.

I love the way 1911's feel but they are heavy and I'm not sure a light single action trigger would be good in a stressful situation.....my alternate opinion is, if you have to draw your gun your going to be shooting it not just pointing it.....I'm not sure

Alternativly I could get a SIG P220 Carry, not much bigger than a 1911, just a little thicker if I install thin grips....I could get a DAK trigger or even go with the traditional DA/SA SIG Trigger, that wouldn’t require manipulating a safety and would have a light trigger.

Also in the back of my mind.....I could get a SIG 229 which would have more rounds than the 220 but be almost the same size........options, options.......

I know this was quit a rambling post, but I'm just trying to gather opinions ideas and considerations.

-Josh

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    One of the reasons I chose a 1911 for carry was because it had a manual safety.

As a child I saw the manual safety of a 1911 save a friend's life. I'll never underestimate the good they can do.

And the safety comes off as the firearm rotates up from the holster. It's just automatic. I'd do the same thumb-sweep on any other firearm I was drawing just because it's what I do when I unholster to fire.

And I LOVE The short, light trigger pull on my 1911. I get faster follow-up shots, my short fingers don't have to reach that far.. It's perfect.

And as far as weight is concerned? You can get yourself some darned LIGHT 1911s. I actually put aside my light little 1911 for a heavier one to carry because I LIKE the weight.

My 4" commander 1911 is about as heavy as a full-size and I LOVE carrying it. With the right holster and rig it's as comfortable as any firearm out there.

And as far as "tuning" to get good performance... BAH!! Yeah, there are lemons out there but the only "tuning" I did to my Wilson in the thousand + rounds I've already put through it is changing the grips. The thing is flawless.

Now, as far as the Sig 220 is concerned. You get the same amount of rounds in it as the 1911. Sure, you can get the longer trigger, but that's your trigger preference. I, personally, don't like Sigs triggers or I would have gotten a 239 years ago. I love Sigs, just can't do their triggers.

The 220 is about the same size as a full-size 1911 and the weight difference is slight, at best.

My husband carried a 220 for awhile and while he liked it he kept going back to the 1911 and after awhile he ended up selling his 220 to buy another 1911.

I've carried LOTS of guns.. everything from Colt .380s to revolvers, to the M&P and on and and I keep coming back to my Kimber or my Wilson. Nothing feels as right as they do!

It's ultimately up to you and what you want.

If the safety and trigger are that big of a thing for you, then don't get a 1911.

The Sig is a great gun, for sure!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    When the first shot has to count........and it always does.......its a 1911 that will do it. That is why so many SWAT teams and tactical team carry them. Plus 1 on the sweet trigger pull.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Guys-
    ... but why carry a 1911?
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...er-pistol.html

As noted, I tried the 220 SAO for a while, as far as single stack, single action .45s are concerned, the 1911 is still king, if you don't like the 1911, go Sig for the 220, nothing wrong with them. People carry 1911s because they like them, same with any other gun that gets carried. However, regarding weight, IIRC a Sig 220 is HEAVIER than a lightweight Commander size 1911.

+1 on what the young lady said.

Get a good one and there is no tuning involved. I just bough my first 1911 two weeks ago, I'm hooked. You can get them in all different sizes and weights, it just depends on what you want. I got a full size stainless (you don't get much heavier), the extra weight reduces recoil making followup shots much faster and more accurate. Get the right holster for it and you don't feel the weight.

Another + for the 1911: Spare parts. They are widely available and easy to get. You can easily replace every part on the gun should anything break.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

JD
    Administrator
    JCook5003

If you want, one of these days I can meet up with you at the range out in Blacksburg and let you put a few 1911s through the paces. BYOA.

Senior Moderator
    I just recently shot my 1911(s) and my Sig 220 Carry. The recoil on the 220 is soft; I had to remember this was a .45ACP I was shooting. The 1911 seemed to have a harsher recoil. That was with an all steel frame.

From my experience there are two problems with alloy frame 1911s, one, they have harsh recoil, two, they don't hold up well under lot's of shooting. E.g. Caspian won't even warrantee their aluminum alloy frames.

OTOH, Sig 220s are known for their durability. So if you're gonna shoot a lot, Sigs are gonna hold up better than alloy frame 1911s.

If your gun is drawn and you are shooting from basically a static position, then the SA trigger probably will have some advantage. But as Ernst Langdon proved, among peers, in this case equally skilled shooters, the trigger didn't make a difference - Ernst used a Sig 220 DA/SA with a slightly modified trigger to beat Rob Leatham and his highly customized 1911.

I like 1911s in the original steel frame platform. I shoot too much to depend on an alloy frame 1911 so I carry a Sig 220 Carry DA/SA.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have both a 1911 (2) and a 220 (Equinox). The 1911s I use 95% for the range and competition. For carry and SD I almost always carry a DA/SA pistol. I think the biggest difference is how you were brought up.

If you started with a 1911 sweeping the safety and getting off that first shot is natural. However, in my opinion if you started with a non safety handgun the transition to a safety is not always perfect. In a SD situation I rather not have a safety to deal with.

In competition I still occasionally am very slow to flip the safety as well as shooting left/down because I have fired before I was ready after releasing the safety.

As for feel and accuracy the 1911 wins for me all the time. Plus as an older shooter, like a revolver, it just looks right.

Allow me to also say I'm not bashing the 1911 platform, as I own a custom 1911 that my grandfather put together for me that is an outstanding weapon......

I am just trying to make an educated decision about 1911 vs other carry gun standards.

JD
    Administrator
    Allow me to also say I'm bashing the 1911 platform as I own a custom built 1911 that my grandfather built......

Well, here's my story......after deciding that my Glock G30 wasn't going to work for me as a carry piece late last year, I placed an ad in the local paper to sell it. I had full intentions of getting another 1911. Which manufacturer and exact model I wasn't sure, but SIG's Revolution looked very attractive to me at the time. Then of course there was the price! I had several call, and some offers, then day three of the ad I had an interesting call from a man that was interested in trade. He asked me what I was looking for and I told him something in the SIG line and similar to a 1911. He said he figured he had something I might be interested in. Well, it turns out he had a beautiful SIG P220R-45-TSS-SOA. The fellow owns and operates a security consulting firm. On opening the factory case, and looking at the pistol, picking it up, and holding it.........I had to have it! One of the best deals I ever made. IMO (I'm not as highly dedicated to the 1911 as some folks are), it's better than the 1911 in many ways, and similar in some. Single action, thumb safety, you can chamber a round with these with the thumb safety on, excellent ergonomics/balance, and simple tear down for cleaning, a bit lighter than a full size 1911 because of the alloy frame, and integral rail. While I am still testing IWB carry with an MTac Minotaur holster, I continue to carry this pistol OWB under a jacket. I beleive the SIG P220 is THE answer to the 45acp. I'm sure the smaller models in the P220 line are just as nice.

JD was it the wording that confused you if so I changed it around.....otherwise I'm not sure I understand

Senior Moderator
    RR,

First, I don't want to high-jack a thread here, but I recently bought a Minotaur for a Sig 229R DAK. I can't get the gun to release from the holster. I called Comp-Tac and they said the 'dimple' needed to be adjusted and said I should return it to them.

Have you had any problems like that with your Minotaur?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

JD
    Administrator
    JD was it the wording that confused you if so I changed it around.....otherwise I'm not sure I understand
    I don't understand what you're trying to say, you're bashing the the 1911 because you own one that your grandfather built?

What does that have to do with anything? Is there something wrong with the 1911 your grandfather built?

JD-

I missed an all important, NOT bashing the 1911......even in my second read I didnt catch it.....I changed it accordingly......

The 1911 my grandfather built is a great pistol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links