G30 vs. G36

G30 vs. G36

This is a discussion on G30 vs. G36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, So, I've been hankering to invest in a Glock .45 of one variety or another. Not neccesarily walking away from my G19 once ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G30 vs. G36

G30 vs. G36

Hello all,
    So, I've been hankering to invest in a Glock .45 of one variety or another. Not neccesarily walking away from my G19 once and for all, but after trying out a friend's G21 and seeing how comfy it was to shoot, I'd like to add one to my stable. It's purpose would definately be CC, so I'm thinking to forgo the G21 in favor of a 30 or 36. Weighing the pros and cons in my head,

G30:
    +Higher Capacity
    +Able to accept G21 mags as reloads
    +Would feel ok with one extra mag
    -Heavier
    -Thicker
    -Will need all new leather

G36:
    +Lighter
    +Slimmer
    +Fits my 27,000,000 G19 holsters
    -Low capacity
    -No high-cap reloads
    -Would feel like I'd need to carry two reloads
    -Maybe has questionable reliability according to some reports?

The G21 fit my hand just fine, so I'm not concerned about the G30 being "too thick" for me as some report it to be, although I've held (but not shot) the G36 and it felt pretty sweet in my hand. I dunno what to do. Part of me says "average SD shooting only involves 3 rounds fired, yada yada", and part of me says I'd sure feel alot better with 11 rounds on tap instead of 7, but at the same time, the not having to buy a bunch of extra holsters is a major incentive as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks everybody.
    .40 is fine.

Administrator
    If it were me, I'd go with the 36. But it all boils down to personal preference.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just recently purchased a G36. For a guy, I have smaller hands and the G30 just couldn't do it for me, and the G21 feels like a brick in my hands. Honestly, what I gather from your post is that you're not all that comfortable carrying 6+1. Don't forget about the extended baseplates. Currently, my G36 is competing with my XD9SC for carry duty. If my G36 wins, I plan on carrying a magazine with a +2 baseplate for a reload. If you don't feel comfortable with the capacity, and it feels good in your hands, then get the G30. The G36 just feels awesome in my hands. As far as having all of those holsters, that doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. If you have one or two favorites that you currently use, then purchase the same two for the G36 (if possible). The reliability issues were with the earlier models, I believe. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Don't forget about the extended baseplates.
    I'd considered those, I'd heard of some questionable reliability on occasion from people who tried to use those, but I'd planned to at least slap a plus one on and give it a try. I'm telling myself that if I'm running 7+1 in .45ACP all the 1911 guys will tell me to quit my whining, and I'll have no room left to complain. :-)
    .40 is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post
    I'd considered those, I'd heard of some questionable reliability on occasion from people who tried to use those, but I'd planned to at least slap a plus one on and give it a try. I'm telling myself that if I'm running 7+1 in .45ACP all the 1911 guys will tell me to quit my whining, and I'll have no room left to complain. :-)
    I've heard of similar issues, but I don't think I've read of any with the Pierce brand, which seems to always be the most popular anyways. Those are my thoughts about the capacity as well. 1911s have been carried for a very long time, and the capacity was never an issue. The way I look at it is, if I can't fend off two attackers with 7 rounds, then I probably couldn't do it with 11 either. If there's more than 2 attackers, well the odds are going downhill from there anyways. Shot placement, as usual, is the key here. I feel very confident with it, and that's what matters.

-Jeff-

I own both. I have small hands and have no problem with the G30. The G36 gets carried in the summer, G30 in the winter. The G30 can be concealed just fine with the right rig. You pretty much summed up the differences in your post. If you can't decide...buy both!
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
    -- Sigmund Freud

VIP Member

Either one is a good decision.

If you get a chance, try shooting both and decide from there which one works best for you. Having said that, I like slimjim's idea about having one of each.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Well, I sort of got away from the Glocks in 45acp. I had both G21 and G30 for several years. The G21 was just huge for me, although a very good shooter. The G30 was just to front end heavy for me, although it was a joy to shoot. Since every pistol I have gets carry duty, I just felt neither one worked well for that specific purpose for me. I've handled the G36 at a couple of gun shows, and someday I might go for it, but being the Glock fan I am, I haven't seen much support for the G36. At shows, at gun shops, at pawn shops, etc. The used magazines are generally hard to find, and some places don't even carry new factory mags for it since it doesn't seem to rank very popular overall with the Glock lineup. Call it a black sheep so-to-speak? At least that's my opinion from what I've seen locally. Not necessarily a bad thing. Question is, how well is the G36 supported by holster manufacturers and such? It is a nice looking little package though. I wouldn't rule it out due to it's capacity either. Maybe I'm not much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Question is, how well is the G36 supported by holster manufacturers and such? It is a nice looking little package though.
    Granted, I haven't had my G36 for too long, but from what I've seen most holster companies have lots of options for the G36. Most leather holsters for the size of the G19 work for the G36 as well. One example of this is my Galco Side Snap Scabbard which is also the same model for the 19 size Glocks. I also have a Crossbreed SuperTuck on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod
    Maybe I'm not much help.
    Maybe not...

You sick of me yet, Ram Rod?

-Jeff-

I have the G-36 and I love the shorter/thinner grip. I carry one extra mag and I'm good to go.
    The gun disappears against my kidney.
    I know several other fellows with the G-36, and all have given great reports about it.

Stay armed...go Glock...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have the 21SF, the 30 and the 36. My carry is the G30 with a 21 mag as a reload. The 36 does not "feel" right in my hand. That is the only Glock that does not fit right in my hand.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    You pretty much hit all the differences on your comparison. I have both the 30 and the 36. I like them both, but for carry, the 36 in my opinion, is much easier to conceal. The 30 feels good in my hand, but shows through most of my shirts when I wear the 30 IWB. So, I have relegated it to nightstand duty, and equipped it with a Crimson Trace laser. I carry the 36 every day, and instead of an extra mag, I carry a Ruger LCP in my weak side pocket.

My G36 is my favorite gun....If I could only have 1, it would probably be the 36.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I Had the same debate..

The G36 did not feel right for me. I use my G30sf with an MTAC and it hides it pretty well.

That being said, I am currently seeking a G27 just for a smaller option.

I really like my G30sf.

Tough decision. I had a 36 that I got rid of because the slide would jump over the slide lock when I racked it really hard (like what would be done on a combat reload). It shot really nice. I was deadly accurate with it. But the slide lock issue bothered me. I replaced the slide lock spring twice to no avail. Glock couldn't fix it at the time. I've been told by Glock that the problem has now been corrected with a different slide lock spring.

In any event I got a 30 to replace it. She shoots great but I find myself carrying my 27 instead of my 30 for comfort reasons. The 30 might be more comfy if I had a VM II for it, but I don't have the cash right now. The 30 is definately heavier to carry in my MTAC than the 27 is.

If Glock really fixed the slide lock issue on the 36 that might be the way to go. I miss mine.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links