Can't go wrong SD Pocket Carry.

This is a discussion on Can't go wrong SD Pocket Carry. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've noticed a lot more posts from new folks concerning a good buy for pocket carry or home SD. For Home SD, you can't go ...

Thread: Can't go wrong SD Pocket Carry.

Can't go wrong SD Pocket Carry.

I've noticed a lot more posts from new folks concerning a good buy for pocket carry or home SD.

For Home SD, you can't go wrong with a 12 gauge shotgun.

After that, I feel very safe to say, as would almost any gun shop owner, you can't go wrong with a S&W 642 Airweight. If you have children, don't forget to buy a $20-$30 lock box to lock the gun up when you are not home.

I carry the S&W 642 Airweight (no-lock) J-Frame with Uncle Mike's pocket holster loaded with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP front pocket every day. For the price, you can't go wrong.

This firearm, or one very much like it, was used by LE for years when they knew they were going into a firefight. It is a revolver, very reliable, and you can be certain when you pull the trigger it will preform as intended.

The rounds I suggested would be 125 GR or 135 GR. If you don't know, GR stands for how much the bullet weights (and has nothing to do with how much powder is in the round). The .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP may be the best performing round (out of a short barrel .38 Spl +P) for SD.

Be careful when loading a .38 Spl. If you use a .38 Spl +P round, make sure the firearm is rated for +P.

There are also .357 Mag firearms of a similar size. Rent one or go with a friend to shoot one. Most say it is to powerful of a round with that size revolver in an Airweight. IMHO, I agree. The .357 Mag firearms will fire .38 Spl & .38 Spl + P rounds (I'm not sure on this however, so check the specs of the firearm). Note the .357 Mag firearms tend to cost $200 + more than the .38 Spl +P. In addition, some point out you loose a lot of the .357 Mag's energy when shot from a small barrel.

I was told by several people I would end up with an Airweight. After a lot of renting, shooting, shopping, and even a few purchases, this is where I ended up with my every day carry.

Hope this helps and might save you some time.

PS - I attached the a pic of the typical $20 - $30 lock box.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Links