My 1911 Choices (I know, another thread..)

This is a discussion on My 1911 Choices (I know, another thread..) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know the number of 1911 threads is a little out of control, but I wanted to make a more specific thread catering to my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 1911 Choices (I know, another thread..)

My 1911 Choices (I know, another thread..)

I know the number of 1911 threads is a little out of control, but I wanted to make a more specific thread catering to my exact needs.

I want to replace my XD9 with a new carry rig and am thinking why not kill (2) birds with (1) stone and get into 1911s and get myself a single-stack for CCW duty.

I would like to spend under $1000 and would like the 1911 to be a commander length (4" or thereabouts).

My options at the momment seem to be:

1) Dan Wesson BobTail Commander: I have heard these are excellent, though some have had issues with a slide stop of some sort and the gun not going fully into battery. This seemed to occur in a relatively small number of the guns out there. Is this going to be a crazy-heavy 1911? It would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $900.

2) Factory Colt Lightweight Commander: Nice and everyone loves the Colt reliability/look. I also like the fact that it is "lightweight" so it wouldn't be too drastic a change from the relatively light XD.

3) Colt Combat Commander XSE: This would also be around $900, though would be just as heavy as the Dan Wesson without the bobtail. If reliability would be superior here, it would be an option, otherwise I would go with the Bob-Tail of the Dan Wesson.

All would be chambered in .45 ACP. All would be riding IWB in either a Brommeland, K&D, or VM2 holster.

I've looked at the Kimbers as the local gun clerk said his Kimbers shot better and were overall better than his colts (from his 1911 experience). That said, they are a bit spendy for what I am looking for.

I would appreciate any advice you guys can throw my way!
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

2. Remove Ads

ive got a Rock Island Armory Tactical chambered in .45, there very accurate sidearms and very reliable, 449 brand new
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

JD
    Administrator
    Dan Wesson, checkered front strap, night sights, and a better beavertail. Not to mention the bobtail aspect of it.

I'd take a Colt over a Kimber, but I'm not overly thrilled with how the Colts come from the factory, I don't want to have to spend $$$ after buying the gun to make it the way I want it to be if I can just get another gun the way I want off the shelf. Given your holster listings, make sure you've got a good belt and the weight won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    ive got a Rock Island Armory Tactical chambered in .45, there very accurate sidearms and very reliable, 449 brand new
    Is it the commander or the full size?

To be honest, my vanity here likely wouldn't let me buy an RIA as I don't love the way they look. It would take alot of $$ to get the RIA looking like I would want and while Im not snobby, I want to be PSYCHED about whatever I spend my hard earned $$ on.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

JD
    Administrator
    The RIA Tac is full size. I don't think RIA has a Commander sized gun. I forget the dimensions of the compacts...

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Dan Wesson, checkered front strap, night sights, and a better beavertail. Not to mention the bobtail aspect of it.

I'd take a Colt over a Kimber, but I'm not overly thrilled with how the Colts come from the factory, I don't want to have to spend $$$ after buying the gun to make it the way I want it to be if I can just get another gun the way I want off the shelf. Given your holster listings, make sure you've got a good belt and the weight won't be an issue.
    Thanks!

I currently wear a RafterS with my XD9 and a Brommeland MC5. Ive previously owned a VM2, and a CTAC and might try a K&D for my next purchase. I love the RafterS, though might also buy a fancy (shark, etc) BeltMan belt because I have always wanted one.

Thanks again for the advice. Although I love modding things, its always less expensive to simply buy it how you want it from the get-go.

JD
    Administrator
    Happy to help, now if you ever do plan on having a custom build, and you've got the $$$ on hand, get a Colt Commander as the base gun.

Happy to help, now if you ever do plan on having a custom build, and you've got the $$$ on hand, get a Colt Commander as the base gun.
    I went to the store in Roanoke (Roanoke Firearms, if you are familiar) and drooled over their NightHawks and Ed Brown in the case. That said, I might feel bad carrying a $2300 gun. That and I would have to eat Ramen for a month.

I was pretty set on the Dan Wesson and then got sidetracked all day looking at different 1911s after talking to the guys at Green Top here in Richmond. Now Im leaning back towards the DW, but welcome anyone else with an opinion to chime in!

JD
    Administrator
    Yep, we just took a trip down to RF the other day, I was window shopping the new XDM-9. That Talon IV was pretty nice.

Yep, we just took a trip down to RF the other day, I was window shopping the new XDM-9. That Talon IV was pretty nice.
    When I was there my father ended up buying a SpringField "Loaded" 5" 1911 and I thought it was utterly sweet. I picked up an 870 HD 12gauge, but nothing else this trip. I think this weekend we will head back and he may get "The Judge" while I look more into either a 642 or their 4" 1911s (though they didn't have any DWs when I was in).

For the record, I LOVE my XD9 (4"). The only mod I have done is a Springer Precision 4# Carry Trigger Job and it tears gaping holes at 7 yards.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by R.E.Lee View Post
    When I was there my father ended up buying a SpringField "Loaded" 5" 1911 and I thought it was utterly sweet. I picked up an 870 HD 12gauge, but nothing else this trip. I think this weekend we will head back and he may get "The Judge" while I look more into either a 642 or their 4" 1911s (though they didn't have any DWs when I was in).
    If you're out this way again, check out Trader Jerry's in Salem, they've had a Dan Wesson a time or two and are a stocking Les Baer dealer.

If you're out this way again, check out Trader Jerry's in Salem, they've had a Dan Wesson a time or two and are a stocking Les Baer dealer.
    Will do. My father lives in Lexington, so I usually drive from Richmond to Lex and then we head down to Roanoke together. I will have to tell him about "Trader Jerry's".

Thanks again!

heres mine plain jane how it came

also try a nighthawk custom, beautiful weapons

rock island has commander, officer, and fullsize btw

Centerfire Systems - 1911
    Last edited by JD; November 12th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Administrator
    Well, the Colts are coming out of the factory looking pretty doggone nice these days...so if you'll be satisfied with a stock Commander I would go with the Lightweight Colt.
    BUT, if you want to start customizing you might as well go with something that already has most of the modifications that you'll want as standard.

You might want to look at the offerings by Fusion Firearms.
    They are a lot of gun for the money, initially you'll spend more than a grand but, you won't need to spend anything else later on.
    You'll get a forged frame and slide...match grade barrel...checkered front strap...tool steel hammer...great sights...Tripp Cobra Magazine - no MIM Metal and all super quality internals like a machined from bar stock extractor and ejector. So actually it's cheaper in the long run.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Another possibility is the SIG 1911 RCS. Commander size, night sights, complete dehorn job, checkered front and back strap. Cost right about the $1000. range. If you'd like to check it out closer, PM me. I live in Richmond too, we could meet at Dominion and you could shoot it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links