S&W 442 or 642

This is a discussion on S&W 442 or 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guess I should introduce myself since I'm here as well. I'm JP, from FL. I'm 25 yrs old and thank God that I live in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 or 642

S&W 442 or 642

Guess I should introduce myself since I'm here as well. I'm JP, from FL. I'm 25 yrs old and thank God that I live in a country that allows me the right to protect myself. I've got (2) Glock 23's, a Springfield XD-40 SC, Bersa 380 Thunder, Kel-Tec P3AT, and I recently purchased a Kahr PM9 about a month ago as my main carry pistol.

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the Smith and Wesson 642, and the 442??? I am looking for a carry pistol for my fiance and I might have to pick one up for myself . I have been looking for two days and all I could find is that I need to get one with out the locking mechanism and THANK YOU GUYS FOR THAT!!!

2. Remove Ads

442s are black, 642s are silver.

Are you serious? Wow, sorry to waste the thread, what a let down. Sorry everybody.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roadsiderob View Post
    442s are black, 642s are silver.
    That's a little oversimplified.

The S&W Model 442 has a matte (black) finished aluminum alloy frame with a blued carbon steel barrel, cylinder and yoke.

The S&W Model 642 has a satin (silver) finished aluminum alloy frame with a stainless steel barrel, cylinder and yoke.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    That's a little oversimplified.

The S&W Model 442 has a matte (black) finished aluminum alloy frame with a blued carbon steel barrel, cylinder and yoke.

The S&W Model 642 has a satin (silver) finished aluminum alloy frame with a stainless steel barrel, cylinder and yoke.

Yep.. one is black one is silver.

the 442 is carbon steel barrel etc..

the 642 is stainless in the places the other is carbon steel.

But other than that they are the same gun. they are the same gun with just differant materials making a few of the parts.
    <><><><><>
    Grass Roots North Carolina
    <><><><><>
    NRA Life Member

Well that being said, any advantages or disadvantages to carbon steel or stainless steel?

Pick one

The Stainless parts(i.e.,the 642)have a better rust-resisitance. This does NOT mean they're rust-proof. You would be served well with either. Smith is now offering as a catalogged item NO-Lock 642's and(I think)442 Airweights. THAT'S the way to go !!!!!!! WELCOME TO THE SITE!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

One consideration you might thing about. Personally, I think the black does not show as well compared to shinny steel. Therefore, it is not seen as easily. Its not a big deal and others probably will disagree, but that IMO. Plus I think the black one is less expensive!

I preferred the 642, because it was stainless, making it less prone to corrosion. This is especially useful on a carry gun, as it will be subjected to moisture from both the body and the environment when out and about with you.

Just as a small bit of education....All Smith revos that start with a "6" are stainless...640, 638, 642, 637, etc.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Just as a small bit of education....All Smith revos that start with a "6" are stainless...640, 638, 642, 637, etc.
    +1. And like everyone says it is a great revolver. But one concern is the recoil is greater than one might think due to it only being 15ozs. FWIW
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    I preferred the 642, because it was stainless, making it less prone to corrosion. This is especially useful on a carry gun, as it will be subjected to moisture from both the body and the environment when out and about with you.
    Absolutely! I live in Houston, a hot, sweaty climate during the summer.
    At the end of the day, the pistol I pull from my IWB holster is often wet with sweat.
    The moment that stainless and alloy pistols started becoming available, I always looked for those metals in any pistol I was considering as a carry piece.
    If I "need" it to be black, I'll just take a spray can of black paint to it.
    Haven't had to yet.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Something else to consider, the finish on a blued gun will wear off while stainless
    is forever. Nicks and scratches on stainless guns can be easily polished out, whereas blue guns must be completely refinished. I have a large handgun collection and only 1 is blue, an old S&W M-29 that I never shoot. Even my springfield XD has a stainless slide.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

CB0- Just a heads up, the wife really liked the 642 until she put 25 rounds through it at the range. If your buying one for the little woman the fun runs out real fast after the 1st box of ammo. Great pocket revolver but its snappy.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    CB0- Just a heads up, the wife really liked the 642 until she put 25 rounds through it at the range. If your buying one for the little woman the fun runs out real fast after the 1st box of ammo. Great pocket revolver but its snappy.
    Thanks for all the info everyone. And thats what I was thinking about with the snappy-ness too. I just think the revolver is a good route to go for her bc its a sure fire thing. No having to worry about racking the slide for a mis-fire or failure. All she has to do is pull the trigger if the the time ever came. And with that gun, she could leave it in her purse and shoot through it if she needed too, not the case with an auto. I wish they still made a 9mm revolver which my guess would be a little lighter on the recoil? I know Taurus used to, but I'd rather stick with S&W...no offense to Taurus people...and I dont want to start that discussion.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links