My New CZ RAMI

My New CZ RAMI

This is a discussion on My New CZ RAMI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been wanting one for a while, and decided to finally get one after the election. I have a CZ 75 Compact, and wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New CZ RAMI

VIP Member

My New CZ RAMI

I had been wanting one for a while, and decided to finally get one after the election. I have a CZ 75 Compact, and wanted something more compact for daily carry.

The RAMI is a very small 9mm gun that is also available in .40.

With the short grip, my pinkie is tempted to fall right off the end. I have a 14-rounder with grip extension on the way, which should solve that problem.

Compared to my CZ 75 Compact, the inside-out design is very similar. The ejection port is much larger on the RAMI, and the safety is much more low-profile.

At first glance, I thought the RAMI had tritium sights, but that is not the case. They're just bright green paint that glows in the dark. The RAMI came with hard plastic case, two 10-round magazines, two cleaning rods, and two snap caps.

I had around 500 rounds of ammunition on hand:
    • Fiocchi FMJ 115 gr.
    • Winchester BEB 115gr.
    • Winchester JHP 147 gr.
    • Winchester FMJ 115 gr.

This first round of testing was for feeding and general performance. As we know, any prospective carry gun needs to run a gamut of testing before it can be considered reliable. After 500 rounds of two-handed, one-handed strong, and one-handed weak side shooting, there was one failure to feed, and one combo failure to feed and extract.

Both occurred while shooting with my right hand only with the Winchester JHP 147 gr. ammunition. This may be attributed to poor grip on the weapon with my pinkie hanging off the end, but I'll know for sure when I send at least 500 more rounds through it. This second round of testing will concentrate more on accuracy and feeding the ammunition I would like to carry it with (likely the Speer Gold Dot in 124 gr.).

Overall, I am quite pleased with my new purchase, and will send the little gun through more testing before I consider it ready for carry.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I'll bet the grip extension makes a difference, especially with one handed shooting.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Moderator
    Great post Betty,

I've been wanting a CZ-75 compact for a long time now, now I might go with the RAMI
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I've been seriously considering one of these for a few months, but I've yet to hold one. Did you shoot all 500 rnds yourself? I was wondering how punishing the little 9mm is.

Nice range report, thanks for posting.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I've been seriously considering one of these for a few months, but I've yet to hold one. Did you shoot all 500 rnds yourself? I was wondering how punishing the little 9mm is.

Nice range report, thanks for posting.
    Due to the weight of the RAMI the 9mm is easy to shoot. I have both the 9mm and .40 S&W. My hands are average size, I personally don't have a problem with the pinky off the grip. I place it under the magazine base and use it as the balance point.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats! When my girlfriend was first looking for a gun, she liked the feel of the Rami. I thought it was a rather interesting litte gun myself. Anyways, I seem to remember some malfunction issues with one of the magazines (I think the extended magazines), but that was quite a while ago. Anyways, she ended up liking the larger framed guns (she doesn't carry...yet). I'll be interested in keeping up on your reports.

-Jeff-

VIP Member
    I shot everything but two magazines myself - my husband and my dad shot one mag each and did well. It's not that I wasn't sharing, they figured they'd just stay out of my way.

With rapid firing, my pinkie starts to slip off the end and the hits start to travel upward. It's a little punchy, but not uncomfortable.

The Compact mags fit the RAMI, though they look silly sticking out the end.

There's also a polymer frame version, which I didn't find appealing. According to the CZ website, the alloy frame is only .1 pounds more.

I don't feel like I get a fantastic grip with gloves, even my tight-fitting leather ones, but I'm having to keep the gloves on because of my pregnancy. The doctor said it was fine with precautions, so I'm careful to stick to smaller calibers in handguns only (giving up the big guns and long guns for a while) and leaving all the cleaning up to my husband.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have the CZ Rami BD decocker version. It does come with Tritium Night sights. Very bright.
    The longer mags will make a difference, as a matter of fact, I shoot my Rami with the 19 rnd. mags from my CZ-75 SP-01. Looks goofy, but works fine. I think all CZ mags will work. (Don't quote me on that, but mine do.) Some people have put the pinky bumper from XD mags on the Rami mags with a little trimming. Check the CZ club forum for which ones.
    Mine has never had a misfeed of any kind, so I think your's was a product of how you were holding it.
    My only complaint is I wish the slide release was a little longer, so I could easily reach it with my thumb.

I do think CZ's machining is a work of art. Smooth and tight.
    I agree the Rami P was not appealing for a 1oz. weight saving.
    I got some grips from Haken Pek in Bacote wood. I should post a picture.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I have the CZ Rami BD decocker version. It does come with Tritium Night sights. Very bright.
    The longer mags will make a difference, as a matter of fact, I shoot my Rami with the 19 rnd. mags from my CZ-75 SP-01. Looks goofy, but works fine. I think all CZ mags will work. (Don't quote me on that, but mine do.) Some people have put the pinky bumper from XD mags on the Rami mags with a little trimming. Check the CZ club forum for which ones.
    Mine has never had a misfeed of any kind, so I think your's was a product of how you were holding it.
    My only complaint is I wish the slide release was a little longer, so I could easily reach it with my thumb.

I do think CZ's machining is a work of art. Smooth and tight.
    I agree the Rami P was not appealing for a 1oz. weight saving.
    I got some grips from Haken Pek in Bacote wood. I should post a picture.
    How do you like the decocker version? I wish it had been available when I bought mine.

I have a set of Omega grips on my .40, the 9mm has Marschal grips on it, I also have Marschal grips on my P-01, P-06 and Compact. Fit nicely and not overly expensive.

Marschalgrips.com
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Betty, I own both a 40 S&W CZ Rami and a 9mm CZ Compact. I prefer the Compact. Lastly, mine wear matching Hakan grips. Regards, Richard

EAJ
    Here’s mine with the Springfield XD Pearce (PG-XD) grip extension mod. I’ve found it really helps provide a good grip on the pistol.

Nice piece.. Is the gun very thick. I would like to find a da/sa with a 3" barrel, but havnt found one slim enough. Of course, I want one of everything.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Thanks for a great range report Betty. I purchsed a 9mm RAMI a couple weeks ago and have not had a chance to get it to the range yet. I will on Saturday hopefully. I installed a XD mag extension on one of my mags and was pleased with the outcome and improved grip.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, limp wristing can happen with any auto..
    Your choice of the Gold Dot is very sound.

Mine likes the +P or standard version very much.

I'd like to run Double Tap's hotter ammo htru it, but it is a no go for myself and other RAMI owners.

Same for PowRball and other hyper-velocity ammo.

I prefer Hakan or Omega for grips.

I have a RAMI 2075 9mm. Make sure that you adequately test the 14-round magazine before relying on it for carrying. I've put mine away and I'm not the only one who has problems with the 14-round mag. The magazine has some feed issues and I'm not carrying something that may - or may not -work! No problem at all with the 10-rounders. Great weapon, very accurate, handles very nicely...
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links