Ruger sp101 in pocket?

Ruger sp101 in pocket?

This is a discussion on Ruger sp101 in pocket? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im a newbie and was thinking about a Jframe. Today;however, the gunshop salesman put a Ruger sp101 shorty 357 in my hand and I kinda ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger sp101 in pocket?

Ruger sp101 in pocket?

Im a newbie and was thinking about a Jframe. Today;however, the gunshop salesman put a Ruger sp101 shorty 357 in my hand and I kinda like it. Anybody carry one in the front pocket or is it just too much in a pocket holster? Was thinking I would get a Mika. Is that good?

Wow!!

An Sp101 in the front pocket..God Bless you ! I like the 101 but never considered it a front pocket kinda gun. If you can carry it comfortably...........GO FOR IT. That revolver stoked up right will be a "pocket rocket". What next....N-Frame Smith's in cargo pokets!! Just kiddin'
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I put it in my pocket today without a holster and I thought it was fine. Trouble is, I dont even like the way a Jframe feels in a holster in the front pocket.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reingap View Post
    the gunshop salesman put a Ruger sp101 shorty 357 in my hand and I kinda like it. Anybody carry one in the front pocket or is it just too much in a pocket holster?
    I carried mine in a front pocket today, made possible with loose pants and a good cover shirt. These particular pants don't have deep pockets, so the grip might have shown a tad without good cover.

Quote Originally Posted by reingap View Post
    Was thinking I would get a Mika. Is that good?
    I've had a Mika on order for a long time, so I can't say how it is. I'm currently using a Desantis Super Fly and I like how it works.

The SP-101 is a great revolver, but there will be times when it is too big to carry in a pocket. A j-frame does carry easier with more clothing options. It all depends on your pockets, holster, and cover.

I carry my SP101 daily. It rides in a Desantis Nemesis. I usually wear Woolrich cargo type pants. The pockets are deep enough and heavy duty enough to handle the load.

Yeah, it's a little heavy. I can't really do a comparison because it's the only .357 snubby I've ever owned. Most of the time it rides just fine, once in a while when I sit down it will slide down the side of my leg instead of riding on top, it's a easy fix.

I chose the SP101 specifically for the weight. I wanted something I'd actually practice with. I can go through 50-100 rounds of .357 before I'm ready to put it down. Although shooting .38 through it is much easier, I prefer practicing with what I'll be carrying in the gun.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I tried it, and DO carry a Kahr front pocket often, so I'm not against pocket carry by any means.

But found overall, the SP101 just too thick/heavy for pocket carry.

- OS

I'll second whats been said above. I have an SP101 in .357 and it doesn't work for my pockets. I have pants in various sizes and pocket depth and haven't found it to be my favorite option. It works as a very temporary solution but I leave it at that. YMMV
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Overall, too heavy, but I've never been big on pocket carry... but a very nice gun!!!
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

VIP Member
    Good idea, unless it is a 3" barrel, then more care is required.

I would try my SP101 in pocket carry, but I have to comply with my agency's guidelines for off-duty carry and pocket carry isnt allowed.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have an SP101 and I love the firearm. Mine has the Hogue grip which really helps with recoil, but makes it difficult to pocket carry. In a Concealco IWB holster, it is a charm to carry: AKJ Concealco LLC: IWB Holsters

ThaT said, the SP101 weighs slightly more than either my Glock 27 or Glock 36. The G27 holds 10 rounds of .40 cal and G36 carries 7 rds. of .45 cal. So, I do not carry the SP101 very often; rather the G27 or G36.

I just got my SP-101 recently, and I've tried it around the house in my pocket. I regularly carry an Airweight in my front pocket, so I'm a fan of pocket carry.

The SP is bigger and heavier than the Airweight, but I didn't find it to be uncomfortable in my limited tests. I need to get a pocket holster for the SP and make it out to the range to qualify before I carry it out and about, but I expect I'll use pocket carry from time to time. If it turns out to be comfortable, it might replace the Airweight as my on-duty backup.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I just do happen to have one in my pocket as we speak. I ordered some Badger Boot Grips for it and they arrived today. I am way impressed. Sorry about the pics, I took them on my phone.

Last edited by Danimal; November 13th, 2008 at 12:51 AM.

Really nice! From the time I put one in my hand I thought it was way nicer than A J frame. I am getting my carry permit with whatever I buy and I am afraid the 101 is a little too big for the pocket. Let me know how its working out for you.

Yeah,

I have always though these were a little heavy for pocket carry. I just happened to have it in my pocket as my wife walked into the room and I didn't want her to see what I was up to. She thinks that I have a problem. She thinks says I am a gun nut. Can't say she is wrong there. Same reason I took the pics on my phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links