I always wanted a bigger Sig, so what do I buy?

This is a discussion on I always wanted a bigger Sig, so what do I buy? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've begged Santa for years to bring me a Sig appropriately sized for my hands - I'm abnormally large to a point that the 'too ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I always wanted a bigger Sig, so what do I buy?

I've begged Santa for years to bring me a Sig appropriately sized for my hands - I'm abnormally large to a point that the 'too large for some people' 226 is a compact in my hands. Exhibit A, for your amusement:

So what do I buy? Sig's smallest gun, the 239.

Exhibit B, for comparison.

I needed a BUG that was smaller in thickness than my beloved S&W 296 as there are times that the cylinder thickness gets in the way of effective pocket carry for me, and I didn't want anything less than 9mm. If I'm down to BUG anyway it's going to be a very, very bad day.

I've learned to be pretty good about gun fit versus function for me - never yet found a perfect pistol for my hands and it's not for lack of trying. The Sig 226 has come close - if it was longer, like with a factory 22 round mag. :)

I took the 239 out for the maiden range trip yesterday - ironically while our new Sig rep was doing his get-acquainted trip to the shop - and threw 250 flawless rounds downrange. Once I got used to shooting it enough that I wasn't thinking about which gun it was, it pointed and hit like all my other ones, which is a big, big plus.

As much as I hate to say it, the 296 is probably going to be relegated to special purpose BUG these days - snake shot or the like in the field - or in my permanent tacticool paranoia vest. The 239 is a hair heavier, but more accurate past immediate social distances, and I'm not one to really notice a 5ish ounce difference in the pocket.

In carrying it around in the pocket for a couple days, it fits like my Walther PP does - it's a bit bigger but doesn't jump around as much or print quite the same.

It's more expensive than I like for a compact, but then again, Sig has never been a cheap wonder.

Maybe Santa wil be nice and send me a nice, traditional DA/SA Sig with a custom lower frame to compensate for my hands. And maybe the moon is made of cheese. ;)
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Having Big hands is a problem when chooseing gun i understand completely..Buy another sig you know you want to...

Are you sure moon isnt made of cheese>?

Administrator

The Perfect Firearm

Unfortunately, the majority of firearms are all designed around the size of the "average hand" ~ I'm sure you are already very aware of that fact.
    While some "full size" handguns may be slightly larger....and some slightly smaller they are ALL pretty much "size based" on the "average" person equipped with an "average" sized hand.

You are probably the perfect candidate to "save your pennies up" and have a full blown custom pistol built for yourself by one of the top U.S. gun smiths.
    Admittedly, it's an expensive undertaking.

Some of your custom modifications could include a welded up extended grip frame...an altered (opened up) trigger guard (for your big trigger finger) & custom contoured oversize grips.

You could have your "dream pistol" built for you and then just carry that one for the remainder of your days. That is one option.
    It would be better to start with an "all steel" base pistol & work it up from there.

Also, you could start looking around at some of the "less common" pistol types/styles like the Israeli "Barak" & see if any of those odder (yet still high quality) handguns fit your particular giant hand any better.
    Last edited by QKShooter; January 5th, 2006 at 11:29 AM.

Lead Moderator
    That top picture is really a 226??

If you like the 239, about the only thing I can think of is to try it with a 10-round mag. These have an extended butt plate on them and while that won't help ccw, it might help your grip.

(Jeez, those hams, er, hands! )

Kind of an afterthought, Hogue wrap-around grips. They may add a little more "bulk", but nothing to the length.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    That top picture is really a 226??
    Yep. Original West German stamped slide 9mm.

For further perspective:

Springfield GI 1911A1 fullsize:

HK USP 45:

and my personal favorite,
    Desert Eagle Mk VII, 44 mag:

I wish I could photoshop myself down. :)

If you like the 239, about the only thing I can think of is to try it with a 10-round mag. These have an extended butt plate on them and while that won't help ccw, it might help your grip.
    Actually, it's perfectly manageable. My hands have always been strong enough to handle damn near anything, and it's remarkably easy to keep on target.

(Jeez, those hams, er, hands! )

Kind of an afterthought, Hogue wrap-around grips. They may add a little more "bulk", but nothing to the length.
    Tried them - they add width in all the wrong places and anything with fingergrooves is an abomination against my physiology. I've stuck with stock, non-rubber grips because then at least I can get a solid feel for the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Unfortunately, the majority of firearms are all designed around the size of the "average hand" ~ I'm sure you are already very aware of that fact.
    Pretty well.

While some "full size" handguns may be slightly larger....and some slightly smaller they are ALL pretty much "size based" on the "average" person equipped with an "average" sized hand.
    Yep, it's why I can't shoot the newer Glocks at all - the finger grooves force me into positions that are flat out uncomfortable.

You are probably the perfect candidate to "save your pennies up" and have a full blown custom pistol built for yourself by one of the top U.S. gun smiths.
    Admittedly, it's an expensive undertaking.

You could have your "dream pistol" built for you and then just carry that one for the remainder of your days. That is one option.
    It would be better to start with an "all steel" base pistol & work it up from there.
    I've thought about doing something similar with one of the Sig 226STs - a permanent mag funnel for a 20-22 round mag with custom grips would probably put me in the ballpark grip-wise. When I get old and figure out exactly what I want, I'll go there.

Also, you could start looking around at some of the "less common" pistol types/styles like the Israeli "Barak" & see if any of those odder (yey still high quality) handguns fit your particular giant hand any better.
    I've tried a variety of things - my personal handgun collection is a hair under 50 and growing. I also get the luxury of shooting any used gun that comes into the shop, so I've fired several hundred different guns over time so I can see what they're actually like shooting versus not.

The best for me since the first time I picked one up was the original contour Sig 226s. There's a particular angle underneath the rear grip and hammerguard/beavertail where it smooths out to nearly Walther P1/P38 slimness, and the Hogues and the newer Sig grips destroy that. It lets me get in real close and perfect every time, and I've modified old grips to fit newer guns to keep that wherever possible.

That said, I've learned to shoot almost anything, since everything is a compromise. Ironically, the Desert Eagle for grip size would be almost perfect in length for a 'service' type gun for me.

Assistant Administrator
    That USP seems to sit well.

I don't have hams as big as yours Robert but certainly find many guns and grips feel on small side - and have found the CT grips on 226 give me a very nice hold and feel. I'll add a pic of that soon so as to compare with your pic.

You are probably in part chasing the Holy Grail re size and grips but as you say - and as I find too - I can still handle most. It's just down to preference much as anything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just for comparison' sake - here is my 226 gripped - for me almost perfect feel. Just a quick flash pic.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    You mean Sig makes pistols other than the 220 .45?? damm i musta missed the memo somewhere LOL

Lead Moderator
    rfurtkamp, perhaps a lot of tape on the grips , combine with a grip extender for a compact as well as a 30 rnd mg. will make a full size auto fit your paws. As for a compact for ya, no clue.

When a desert eagle looks small ya know those are some big hands mine are big but not like that

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    rfurtkamp, perhaps a lot of tape on the grips , combine with a grip extender for a compact as well as a 30 rnd mg. will make a full size auto fit your paws. As for a compact for ya, no clue.
    I need to see if a grip extension that fits on 226 mags so they work with an extension in a 228/229 functions - maybe I can chain them. :)

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Just for a side by side compairson. I have about average sized hands.

Assistant Administrator
    Seems like no one will beat the ''Furtkamp'' hams for scale

But last two pics maybe show two slightly nervous guys - who both appear to bite their nails Tsk, tsk!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    But last two pics maybe show two slightly nervous guys - who both appear to bite their nails Tsk, tsk!
    Everyday, I have for as long as I can remember. I chew on the skin on my fingers too, especialy my thumbs, Weird huh?

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Not biting, but rather a very bad case of one of the more obscure categories of psorisas. All the skin grows at a badly accelerated rate around the nails and nail beds among other issues.

It's the price I pay for being a freak of nature. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links