RIA 5'' Tactical range report

This is a discussion on RIA 5'' Tactical range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well i was excited when i got it but bench shooting at about 25 yards produced a group about 3ft in diameter, its shooting extremely ...

Thread: RIA 5'' Tactical range report

RIA 5'' Tactical range report

well i was excited when i got it but bench shooting at about 25 yards produced a group about 3ft in diameter, its shooting extremely low and to the left, im taking it in to my local smith and having him do his magic on it, besides that i like it.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

2. Remove Ads

I would shoot it a bit more before taking it to the "smith".

+1 I would shoot it a bit more. 1911's tend to have some kind of break in period. Dump 400 or so rounds through it, if not better, then take it to the "smith"
    God Bless America!!

ive got about 195 through it now, its wierd bc my ria GI was a tack driver right out of the box
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    ive got about 195 through it now, its weird bc my ria GI was a tack driver right out of the box
    Go over to the m1911forum.org and converse with one of the RIA/Armscor reps. They will probably ask for it back and send you a new one. Excellent customer service, really bend over backwards to make things right. They sent me a couple of new parts free of charge with an apology for my trouble.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

thanks, i shot em a line, hopefully ill hear back from them today sometime
    U/315
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    For the money an RIA is a great value in a serviceable 1911 platform. But, like a lot of lower priced guns they are not as refined as guns that cost alot more. They cannot take a lot of time to hand fit and polished internal parts. But if you send it back to them, they are known for very good and responsive CS. It will give their own Technical staff the opportunity to go over the gun and hand fit any needed replacement parts and generally closely inspect and repair the pistol. They will make it right for you at no cost to you.

IMO 25 yards is way to far to be shooting a new to you pistol anyway for accuracy and reliability testing. Shorten that to 7-10 yards or even less and see how you do first. While its certainly fun to shoot handguns at target out 25 yards or further, There is almost no circumstance I can envision that you would need to defend yourself at that kind of distance, certainly not in a CCW encounter. Its good to practice and be proficient at various distances but unless you are planning for a combat scenario its not very practical to practice regularly with a handgun at that kind of ranges unless you have unlimited ammo resources.
    Last edited by pirate; November 14th, 2008 at 01:24 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Keep in mind that it many not be the gun that's shooting low and left, it may very well be you.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Low and too the left for me was over compensating for recoil. After I loosed up my grip, everything was fine. Of course it was really the heinie str8 8 that screwed me up.... good luck
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Links