Defensive Carry banner

Most Popular Concealed Handguns

22K views 53 replies 44 participants last post by  crzy4guns 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum. The name is Brandon and from the great state of Texas. I plan to obtain a CHL some time soon. I would first like to purchase a concealment weapon and practice usage. I am NOT new to guns.

I would like to hear what the most popular carry weapons tend to be. I have set a few important requirements...

9mm or higher energy levels.
Small/Medium frame auto.
Features that add to safe carry.

I'm a big guy at 5'9" and 300 lbs. It's difficult for me to find shirts long enough to cover a weapon concealed at the waist. I do have a Rafter S. belt on the way, just in case. However, due to a big gut and no butt, my pants tend to fall off. I will probably be sporting a shoulder holster if that is the recommendation. I would like to be safe and somewhat comfortable with carrying.

#2 ·
#3 ·
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You'll get 50 replies...and 45 suggestions!:yup:

ret :31:

#4 ·
ATP
First off welcome. Now as for the gun question pick up and handle an XD 45. Most that do like them. As for the big gut and no butt problem try a good set of suspenders. They work great to help hold the pants and you don't have your belt so tight you pass out when sitting or bending. With this combination you can use an inside the waistband holster. The combination of the Rafter belt and suspenders should give you good stability.
Mike

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I have thumbed through the provided threads and it appears most prefer to carry the Glocks and 1911s. I see a lot of XD45s in there also, Mike.

My preference so far has been for the Glock 19, but that is based solely on hear-say. The smaller Glocks and the XD45 look like promising options. Though a very nice gun, I'm thinking the 1911 style may be a bit more weight than I want.

#6 ·
HERE, HERE! I'll play a part of that heresay. Glock G19 is a good choice IMO! Welcome to the forum!

#8 ·
That arises a couple of questions.

How is the .357 SIG now regarded as a carry round? Feed/accuracy/recoil... Perhaps you can compare with a .40 S&W as I do have experience with.

I've always preferred adjustable sights. Are all Glock models able to accept the adjustable rear sight?

#12 ·
Glocks don't normally come with a rear adjustable sight, but they can be added. The most popular modification/addition to a Glock is the changing out of plastic sights and installing night sights.

You will find that unless you are target shooting or competing that the sight picture will not be focused upon. When used as a self defense weapon and when snap shooting you will hardly even notice the sights.

Cost of ammo comes into play when firing your practice rounds at the range.

Welcome aboard, you are.

#10 ·
Hi Brandon & Welcome.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Glock 19, I have 5000+ rounds through mine, AWSOME gun. Regarding the .357sig, it is ofcourse a .40s&w shell necked down to a 9mm cartridge. I considered one, and shot them & ultimately figured out that a 9mm with +p or +p+ would provide the same velocities and energy (at a cheaper price.)

A word of advice- If you want a Glock and you're unsure about caliber (9mm, 40, .357sig) you could get a Glock 23 chambered for .40 and buy a drop in barrel for your other calibers. With the Glock platform you can go down but not up in caliber. So you couldn't get the G19 and decide to go up to .40. All of that said, If 9mm is where you want to be for recoil, price, etc. it's a great choice.

The honorable Sixto once told me "There's nothing a G23 can do that a G19 can't."

#11 ·
J Frame Smith & Wesson's by far, and for good reason!

#15 ·
Here is the order of my customers who buy holsters...

1. J-frame, Taurus 85/605...
2. Kel-tec P3xx
3. Kahr P/PM, CW and K
4. Kel-tec PF9
5. XDs
6. Glocks (26, 30, 36 and 19)
7. MP full size and compact
8. Ruger SP101
9. Sig 229 or 239
10. S&W 39xx or 69xx

I carry a M&P 40c or S&W 66-1 2.5" or Kel-tec PF9 (usually in The Slide OWB or Double Snap (IWB)) plus my P3AT in a Rough Out pocket holster.

#16 ·
Welcome ATP. Here I've said this before hope it helps
After handling it at a shop, reading every review I could lay my hands on and shooting a friends I took the leap last year and got my very first tupperware gun.

Since than my opinions about tupperware had done a complete 180. Being old I never ever thought I'd be shooting tupperware much less praising it but now I can not imagine a better EDC for me. The 10 round compact magazine holds more than a full size 1911. Plus one in the pipe and thirteen in the spare mag makes for twenty four out the door. A lot of 230 gr. Federal HST flower power for the BG. What continues to amaze me is this is a compact .45 and it is just a blast to shoot and I swear I am a better shot because of it.
Not once since I have had it have I left the range because I was beat up from shooting it. Now the XD isn't a beauty queen and you can get lots of prettier guns than an XD. There are even some that are more accurate. But there are none that are more reliable or better suited for EDC than an XD.45. IMO the XD.45 compact is the best Self Defense Every Day Carry gun there is. With well over 3,000 rounds through it without a single FTF. I know it is Rock Solid Reliable. Hits everything I point it at. Eats everything I feed it. Simple to clean & maintain. The grip and trigger safeties are natural and intuitive. No manual safety to confuse matters or cause a delay when nano seconds count, make it ideal for self defense. In a K&D Holsters, my XD is infinitely concealable and a breeze to carry all day long. make it ideal for EDC.

Add TruGlo fiber optic night sights and a LaserLyte , maybe a Springer Precision trigger job and carry it in a K&D Holster you are be good to go for a walk across a Wally World parking lot or the next wave of Zombies. Add Springfield-Armory's life time warranty and Springfield-Armory's acclaimed customer service and you have the best EDC you can buy bar none IMO.

Here are some links to XD article if you have not seen them.
XD Torture test
SPRINGFIELD'S XD SUB-COMPACT GOES HIGH-CAP
SPRINGFIELD'S XD GOES THE DISTANCE
THE XD EXTREME DUTY SERVICE AUTO PISTOL
SPRINGFIELD'S .45 GAP XD TACTICAL PISTOL
SPRINGFIELD XD .40 SUB-COMPACT
SPRINGFIELD'S X-TREME DUTY POLYMER POWERHOUSE
The XD Goes ACP
SPRINGFIELD'S SUB-COMPACT XD
Springfield's XD Keeps On Growing
SPRINGFIELD'S XD GETS LITTLE
Springfield's XD .45
SPRINGFIELD GOES POLYMER
SPRINGFIELD ARMORY XD SERIES
Sizing Down, Powering Up
A FAIR SHARE OF ABUSE

#28 ·
Welcome ATP. Here I've said this before hope it helps . . . . But there are none that are more reliable or better suited for EDC than an XD.45. IMO the XD.45 compact is the best Self Defense Every Day Carry gun there is.
I have both the XD .4 and XD 40 SC [Subcompact], and find them both completely reliable. The XD 40 SC is somewhat easier to conceal, and is comparable in size to the Glock 26. Glocks are fine, but I much prefer the one additional safety factor of the grip safety which is built into the XD's.

#18 ·
Definately go to a gun store and put your hands on as many different types of guns as possible. What feels right to one person feels wrong to someone else. Glocks and XD's are the perfect example of this. There are many Glock vs. XD threads out there. They are both excellent (I have owned both), but they feel completely different. Find what fits you and then ask people what their experiences with that gun is like.

#19 ·
Thanks all. I'm definately going to handle some guns at a few stores as soon as I get the chance. The one thing I do not like about the Glocks is the absence of a manual safety...

A factor that would be hard to address at a gun store would be trigger feel. I'm reading that some don't care for the Glock trigger. I do like a nice trigger and that alone could possibly just make or break a decision for me. What are your thoughts.

#20 ·
Some can be said about both triggers. I have a "improved" trigger in my with a shortened reset and it breaks nicely. I would also advise in a G19. 12,000 rds including tons of HP's and not one hiccup.:hand10:

#23 ·
Get some suspenders. The standard clip on's don't have enough grip to stay attached.

Perry's attach to the belt in a way they can't unclip.

Perry Suspenders

Your belt will be able to carry whatever you wish with a set of these.

I prefer the M&P40 Full size and with suspenders and a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster forget it's on.

#26 ·
I just have to say guys that I am a member of many forums. This one has to be at the top as far as helpful number of responses in such short period of time. Good job and congratulations on a forum well presented!

My other hobbies include adult air rifles (I have a .457 that will do 600 FPE on the way), trucks, and knives (to a beginners extent). If you'd like to hear more about the air rifles I'd be glad to start a thread in an OT section.

#29 ·
I've decided against a Glock for that reason (no manual safety). There are so many other nice guns available.

It's between the XD40 sub compact or the Springfield 1911 Micro Compact .45, I think. I've read about feeding issues with the 1911 Micro... is there any truth to that?

#34 ·
WEll, the Glock does have a manual safety--on the trigger, just like an XD. The XD just has an additional grip safety as well.

But, looking at the two guns you've listed as your final choices...while the Micro is in the caliber I prefer (.45), the tiny 1911's do, as a whole, have more problems than full-sized or commanders. And reliability is one of the biggest factors I look for in any of my carry guns...

So, despite the fact I'm not a big fan of .40 or XD's, if I had to choose between the two, it'd be the XD.

#30 ·
My unscientific guess is that for people who aren't "into" guns, the J-frame Smith is probably the most popular because of simplicity, size, and weight if it's an alloy model (e.g., the very popular 642).

Other than that, I can only say what I carry that have become my personal favorites, and I rotate them based on how I'm dressed, the weather, and whether it's nightime or daytime.

In no particular order:
Colt stainless Commander (have a Lightweight XSE but prefer the stainless for carry)
Smith 642
Walther PPK .380
XD9SC
Springfield EMP
Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth

It's hard to come up with just one favorite because as situations change, so does the best pistol for carrying in that situation.

#31 ·
There are any number of factors to consider when selecting a CC gun -- size, weight, capacity, sights, auto vs. revolver, reliability, shootability, trigger, etc. -- only you can decide what's important to you.

First, decide what size -- full, compact or sub-compact. As you can see, many here have a couple guns they use depending upon clothes, weather, situation (where you'll be and what conditions), etc. The gun I choose with summer shorts is not the one I use in winter; the one I use on the weekends with jeans is not the one I use at work.

Next, decide on the model that fits your hand well, and that you shoot well.

Lastly (although many would put it first), decide on your budget. You may find that it's worth waiting another week/month to save the additional $100 for the gun you really want, rather than rushing to buy an inexpensive gun now. Then again, maybe a Bersa fits all the criteria above; if so, go for it.

Having said all of that, here are a number of my favorites in the compact and sub-compact categories (look for the 1911s, Glock 19/23, Sigs, XDs, CZs and M&Ps for the full-size weapons):

Kahr -- PM, CW, P and MK series
Rohrbaugh
Springfield XDsc
S&W M&Pc
Glock G26
EMP
Walther PPS

Any of the above are fine weapons.

#39 ·
Having said all of that, here are a number of my favorites in the compact and sub-compact categories (look for the 1911s, Glock 19/23, Sigs, XDs, CZs and M&Ps for the full-size weapons):

Kahr -- PM, CW, P and MK series
Rohrbaugh
Springfield XDsc
S&W M&Pc
Glock G26
EMP
Walther PPS
I had the same list, but with a p2000sk added. Thanks to members on this forum, I had the chance to shoot the XDsc and the EMP, both of which I liked. I wanted to like the PPS, but it felt awkward in my hand as did the couple Glocks I tried. The Rohrbaugh felt wonderful to hold, but I'd want to shoot it at least once to see if I could control the bite in a gun that small before spending that kind of money.

I ended up purchasing the M&P 9c, as it felt best in my hand and I liked shooting the larger model. I picked it up today and shot a couple hundred rounds with no problem except for one double feed, which was my fault for sloppy control when I was getting tired and sweaty.

Here's a pretty pic from 10' strong arm only, first shot is low and left, which is sadly becoming a habit with both my guns it now seems :frown::

http://skitch.com/boomana/5hx9/cam

I'm thinking it's still a little heavy/bulky for daily carry, though I'll certainly be able to use it sometimes, and it can hold 12 rounds. Might have to revisit the PM9 or EMP, as they were the only thinner guns that felt right to me. Overall, I'm exceptionally pleased with this purchase, and it makes a nice complement to my 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.