Most Popular Concealed Handguns

This is a discussion on Most Popular Concealed Handguns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guys, I'm new to this forum. The name is Brandon and from the great state of Texas. I plan to obtain a CHL some ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum. The name is Brandon and from the great state of Texas. I plan to obtain a CHL some time soon. I would first like to purchase a concealment weapon and practice usage. I am NOT new to guns.

I would like to hear what the most popular carry weapons tend to be. I have set a few important requirements...

9mm or higher energy levels.
    Small/Medium frame auto.
    Features that add to safe carry.

I'm a big guy at 5'9" and 300 lbs. It's difficult for me to find shirts long enough to cover a weapon concealed at the waist. I do have a Rafter S. belt on the way, just in case. However, due to a big gut and no butt, my pants tend to fall off. I will probably be sporting a shoulder holster if that is the recommendation. I would like to be safe and somewhat comfortable with carrying.

JD
    Administrator
    Might want to start taking a look at these two threads:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...carry-gun.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...you-carry.html

Those will give you basic trends as to what is "popular"

As for the rest, well I'll comment on that later as it's time to rack out.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

You'll get 50 replies...and 45 suggestions!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    ATP
    First off welcome. Now as for the gun question pick up and handle an XD 45. Most that do like them. As for the big gut and no butt problem try a good set of suspenders. They work great to help hold the pants and you don't have your belt so tight you pass out when sitting or bending. With this combination you can use an inside the waistband holster. The combination of the Rafter belt and suspenders should give you good stability.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks guys. I have thumbed through the provided threads and it appears most prefer to carry the Glocks and 1911s. I see a lot of XD45s in there also, Mike.

My preference so far has been for the Glock 19, but that is based solely on hear-say. The smaller Glocks and the XD45 look like promising options. Though a very nice gun, I'm thinking the 1911 style may be a bit more weight than I want.

Quote Originally Posted by ATP View Post
    Thanks guys. I have thumbed through the provided threads and it appears most prefer to carry the Glocks and 1911s. I see a lot of XD45s in there also, Mike.

My preference so far has been for the Glock 19, but that is based solely on hear-say. The smaller Glocks and the XD45 look like promising options. Though a very nice gun, I'm thinking the 1911 style may be a bit more weight than I want.
    HERE, HERE! I'll play a part of that heresay. Glock G19 is a good choice IMO! Welcome to the forum!

Here's how it breaks down. Most popular are Glocks and 1911's. The rest of the story is in caliber and size.

That arises a couple of questions.

How is the .357 SIG now regarded as a carry round? Feed/accuracy/recoil... Perhaps you can compare with a .40 S&W as I do have experience with.

I've always preferred adjustable sights. Are all Glock models able to accept the adjustable rear sight?

I think revolvers are

Hi Brandon & Welcome.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you on the Glock 19, I have 5000+ rounds through mine, AWSOME gun. Regarding the .357sig, it is ofcourse a .40s&w shell necked down to a 9mm cartridge. I considered one, and shot them & ultimately figured out that a 9mm with +p or +p+ would provide the same velocities and energy (at a cheaper price.)

A word of advice- If you want a Glock and you're unsure about caliber (9mm, 40, .357sig) you could get a Glock 23 chambered for .40 and buy a drop in barrel for your other calibers. With the Glock platform you can go down but not up in caliber. So you couldn't get the G19 and decide to go up to .40. All of that said, If 9mm is where you want to be for recoil, price, etc. it's a great choice.

The honorable Sixto once told me "There's nothing a G23 can do that a G19 can't."
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    J Frame Smith & Wesson's by far, and for good reason!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by ATP View Post
    That arises a couple of questions.

How is the .357 SIG now regarded as a carry round? Feed/accuracy/recoil... Perhaps you can compare with a .40 S&W as I do have experience with.

I've always preferred adjustable sights. Are all Glock models able to accept the adjustable rear sight?
    Glocks don't normally come with a rear adjustable sight, but they can be added. The most popular modification/addition to a Glock is the changing out of plastic sights and installing night sights.

You will find that unless you are target shooting or competing that the sight picture will not be focused upon. When used as a self defense weapon and when snap shooting you will hardly even notice the sights.

Cost of ammo comes into play when firing your practice rounds at the range.

Welcome aboard, you are.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Welcome from Dallas!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Welcome from Virginia. I am a Kahr fan. Take a look at the P9. Easy to carry because it is slim and lightweight. Try several before you buy and you'll save some money.

Here is the order of my customers who buy holsters...

1. J-frame, Taurus 85/605...
    2. Kel-tec P3xx
    3. Kahr P/PM, CW and K
    4. Kel-tec PF9
    5. XDs
    6. Glocks (26, 30, 36 and 19)
    7. MP full size and compact
    8. Ruger SP101
    9. Sig 229 or 239
    10. S&W 39xx or 69xx

I carry a M&P 40c or S&W 66-1 2.5" or Kel-tec PF9 (usually in The Slide OWB or Double Snap (IWB)) plus my P3AT in a Rough Out pocket holster.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links