Need suggestion, problem with Walther PPK .380

This is a discussion on Need suggestion, problem with Walther PPK .380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, new to the forum. My husband got this gun for me, thinking it would be small, light and easy to use. NOT! I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestion, problem with Walther PPK .380

Hi everyone, new to the forum. My husband got this gun for me, thinking it would be small, light and easy to use. NOT! I don't have weak hands but I can't pull it back to cock it. It's really hard. I did it a couple of times, the last time it scraped my hand and cut my left pointer finger, now I don't want anything to do with it.
    Is the Sig 232 easier to pull back than the Walther? I think this one is even harder to cock than his .357 Glock. I need one that is light, but easier, suggestions? Bottom line, which is the best one that is similar, is easiest to rack the slide? I have a .38 revolver, but he wants me to have something a little larger.
    Thank you!!
    Last edited by FlKeysgirl; November 15th, 2008 at 01:57 AM.

Administrator
    Huge problem with the Walther 380. The slide is difficult to operate for many. My Wife can't do it either.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Pack it up and bring it back. My wife spent a good hour or so getting the feel of all the handguns at one of our local stores before deciding on a Walther P99SC in 9mm. Nothing like the hands on approach.
    bosco

1943 - 2009
    Are you really locked into a semi-auto pistol?

Have you considered a revolver?

No offense to your husband, but don't let him decide what you should carry.

YOU decide what you should carry.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Administrator
    Suggestion:
    You might want to take a hard look at the Beretta handguns in 32acp. Take a look at the "Tip Up" barrel models. You never have to operate the slide.
    While the 32acp is sort of sub-ideal for self defense lots of people do carry the caliber.
    The 32acp is easy to shoot - the Berettas are light, accurate, and good quality - and nobody ever wants to get shot in the head with a 32acp.

So if what you are looking for is just a close up personal protection firearm that is small enough to always have with you and does not require anything in the way of grip/hand/or arm strength then give it your serious consideration and buy high quality hollowpoint ammunition for it. The ammo by Speer is quite good.

Beretta Tomcat

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Are you really locked into a semi-auto pistol?

Have you considered a revolver?

No offense to your husband, but don't let him decide what you should carry.

YOU decide what you should carry.
    I chose it, but didn't try it first. In the Keys, there aren't many gunshops and the ones there are, don't have many to try. I tried some of the methods posted on here, and there is just no way. It's too hard. We also have a .357 Glock and it's too hard too. Both just cause me to have bandaids all over my hands.
    I have a 38 Pink Lady revolver but wanted something a little bigger, but that is easy.
    Someone suggested the Beretta, does that have an easy slide? I don't get why those have to be so hard. By the time I racked the slide, an intruder or attacker would have already won.

Administrator

The GLOCK 36 slide is quite easy to operate.
    The G 36 is compact and light and in a larger .45acp caliber but, you should try shooting one before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The GLOCK 36 slide is quite easy to operate.
    The G 36 is compact and light and in a larger .45acp caliber but, you should try shooting one before you buy.

.45? Loud and lots of kick? I really want something that is easy and not a lot of kick until I learn to be comfortable using a gun. I just got comfortable with the .38 revolver. The Luger mini 14 NRA is fun, but the .357's, shotguns, too much gun for me. It's not fun when I'm afraid of them and when they are loud and kick a lot, I don't want to mess with them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FlKeysgirl View Post
    .45? Loud and lots of kick? I really want something that is easy and not a lot of kick until I learn to be comfortable using a gun. I just got comfortable with the .38 revolver. The Luger mini 14 NRA is fun, but the .357's, shotguns, too much gun for me. It's not fun when I'm afraid of them and when they are loud and kick a lot, I don't want to mess with them at all.
    try the .380 sig sauer

Tom

Administrator

The GLOCK 26 is one that you should check out.

Oh...have you read anything over at The Cornered Cat yet?
    There is some good stuff there for women.
    Check This Site Out. CLICK HERE.

Beretta .380

The Beretta line of "Tip up Barrel" pistols, I have an Ally Cat, are Semi Automatic, they can be loaded by inserting a full magazine, and working the slide, or by operating a lever on the side of the pistol.

This lever causes the barrel to unhinge from the front, QKShooter posted an excellent picture a few pages back, you place a live cartridge into the breach (Sorry back part of the tipped up barrel) then firmly push it back, till it clicks, no pulling of slide required, then insert a loaded magazine and you are good to go.

There is a way you could try loading, by pulling slide to the rear, wash and dry your hands, bone dry.

Insert full magazine, if right handed turn your left side to face a safe direction, were the muzzle is going to point in, wrap all of your right hand around the bottom of the butt, all four fingers and thumb, under the trigger guard, with left hand grip slide with thumb closest to your body, pointing to the right, all four finger tips across slide, hold tight both hands, and push pull, hard, quickly.

Right hand pushing left, left hand pushing right. When your left hand is fully across to the right, release it, it will snap back.

I could show this in 30 seconds!

Good luck.

Keep Safe.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The GLOCK 26 is one that you should check out.

Oh...have you read anything over at The Cornered Cat yet?
    There is some good stuff there for women.
    Check This Site Out. CLICK HERE.
    I second this, though depending on how good your grip is it may still be too difficult to rack. If this is the case, you really should stick with a revolver. The worst thing to do would be to carry something that is too difficult to operate where you would be in trouble if it jammed.

If it makes you feel better, the Walther PPK has just about the hardest to rack slide of any common handgun as far as I can tell.

There was a really small woman in my CCW class who swore by her 1911, too, so that's another possibility (strange that nobody has mentioned it). I think the real point though is that it might be worth a trip to the mainland if it means you will be able to try before you buy.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

BINGO! Glock-26...we have a winner here!

I have the G-36, and the G-26. My wife was also having trouble 'racking the slide' of any semi-auto. She was carrying a KelTec .32 (I know, but better than nothing...it's a start.)
    I coached her into realizing that it's more technique than strength. It was the G-26 that was the easiest for her to 'rack'...after learning to push with both hands rather than to try holding and pulling.

I'm trying to get her to adopt the G-26, we'll see.

Stay armed...learn the technique...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by FlKeysgirl View Post
    ... a Walther PPK and I can't slide the rack? Is that what you call it? I'm in search of one that I can use.
    A number of folks have difficulty with the stiff slide on the PPK: click.

While you're at it, check out the Cornered Cat web site, which is produced by PAX (here on DC).

Generally speaking, I have found the Smith & Wesson pistols to have a tendency to be easier for me to rack the slide. They've got several relatively smaller models of semi-auto pistols that you might find worthwhile.

As for kick/recoil and ability to handle the firing, a .45ACP isn't necessarily going to be rougher on you than a 9mm, rougher than a .380ACP. It very much depends on the gun, it's grip angle, where the bore axis of the barrel rides in relation to your hand (ie, how low it sits), how heavy/light the gun is, where that weight sits (ie, out near the barrel end, or in the grip). The point is, many choices might surprise you, in terms of how they actually feel when shooting. The Glock 19 9mm semi-auto, for example, is a wonderful gun even using the highest-power 9mm you can find, due to the design. The Glock 26 is the smaller version of this, which others have mentioned. Several of the Kahr pistols shoot extremely well in the "larger" calibers, though they are known for having slides that are stiff and more-difficult to rack. Due to the weight/balance, many of the 1911-style pistols handle more-powerful rounds very well.

Another line if pistols to consider might be the Para Ordnance "LDA" group of guns. Semi-auto, various calibers, including several that are quite compact. Look at the PDA or the Carry 9. The slide is easier to rack than many other pistols I've tried. Again, you can have them tuned.

You might also consider a revolver, which doesn't use a slide. Instead, the revolving cylinder of bullets replaces the slide (more or less).

One thing to consider, as well, might be this: that used pistols can often be smoother and easier to manipulate, given that they've been broken in a bit. Had this happen on a Browning BDM (some years ago), and with my CZ P-01. Both got easier to use, the slide was simpler to rack, and they shoot more smoothly and better as time wore on. With some guns, you can have a gunsmith do a bit of minor tuning to help smooth out things, as well.

My only real recommendation would be, at this point, to head to as many gun ranges as you can, ones that have a good collection of rental guns that you can try out on the range. For handling hotter rounds, I have thought highly of this short list of pistols in terms of how they handled and dealt with recoil: S&W 3913, S&W 4013, S&W CS9 and CS45, Colt Mustang, Colt Officer's 1911 (or the Springfield, Kimber variants), Colt Commander 1911 (or the Springfield, Kimber, Dan Wesson variants), Glock 19. Have fired many examples and was impressed by the handling and recoil mgmt of each.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Have you tried thumbing back the hammer before racking the slide? Overcoming the hammer spring is half the effort of most any double action pistol. A reduced power recoil spring is another solution. Wolff carries a range of them for the PPKs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links