1911 Barrel Conversion

This is a discussion on 1911 Barrel Conversion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok i will prob get the .45 lovers to hate this question due to the history of the 1911 in .45acp but my question is ...

Thread: 1911 Barrel Conversion

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar

1911 Barrel Conversion

Ok i will prob get the .45 lovers to hate this question due to the history of the 1911 in .45acp but my question is this; Lets say a Kimber Custom II which you can get in .45acp and 9mm, can i switch the barrels between the 2? Can you put the .45 in the 9mm frame or like wise? The reason for the question is that i desperatly want a 1911 as my next gun but all my other firearms are 9mm. Now i know i could easily buy a 9mm 1911 but the reason for it is because of cheapness to shoot. I love shooting .45 but it is getting pricy and i can get 2 cases of 9mm almost for price of 1 case of .45. I know this is a lengthy question but i love the .45 round but with both being a single stack mag the whole capacity issue goes out the window. lol Thanks in advance of all responses.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Ok i will prob get the .45 lovers to hate this question due to the history of the 1911 in .45acp but my question is this; Lets say a Kimber Custom II which you can get in .45acp and 9mm, can i switch the barrels between the 2? Can you put the .45 in the 9mm frame or like wise? The reason for the question is that i desperatly want a 1911 as my next gun but all my other firearms are 9mm. Now i know i could easily buy a 9mm 1911 but the reason for it is because of cheapness to shoot. I love shooting .45 but it is getting pricy and i can get 2 cases of 9mm almost for price of 1 case of .45. I know this is a lengthy question but i love the .45 round but with both being a single stack mag the whole capacity issue goes out the window. lol Thanks in advance of all responses.

The short answer is "NO" it's more than just a barrel swap, buy a 1911 chambered in 9mm and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    The short answer is "NO" it's more than just a barrel swap, buy a 1911 chambered in 9mm and call it a day.
    lol thanks

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Like JD said "NO", you can't swap em out! Just buy a 1911 in .45 and shoot what you can afford to shoot. Another option, reload for it!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

Reloading is very true. I really want it to be affordable to shoot but i feel like it could be blastphmey to the 1911 gods to buy one in 9mm. And i am notsaying anything against people who own one i just figure i would get a mach grade barrel for the 19 if i want a tack driving 9mm.

COPS Protective Services

I know nothing about them but .22LR CONVERSIONS might work for you JAC Hand Gun Conversion Kits

I have been thinking about it to save ammo costs myself.
    JD do you know anything about these on a 1911?
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I thought about a 22lr conversion aswell. I guess realistically the 22lr would be even cheaper than 9mm, obviously. I do have an advantage arms le for my 19 which is why i figured it would be stupid to buy one for the 1911 but it the joy of shooting the gun that matters. Thanks guys.

COPS Protective Services

My beautiful 9mm Custom Colt was owned by a friend and started life as a 45acp. He asked a gunsmith to convert it to 9mm and after $2,500 it still didn't work. I gave my friend $1,000 and put another $500 in it but it now shoots like a dream. My advice is buy a good 9mm 1911 and avoid the grief my friend I went through. Regards, Richard

Before:

After:

Administrator
    Just an addition in case any other members have the same question and happen upon this thread in a search.

The slide breech face is different. The extractor is different.
    The ejector would be in the wrong location which would also require machining the ejector run in the slide as well as relocating the ejector.
    The frame feed ramp is machined differently.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Agreed with all above.

I have two 1911 .45s and an SA 1911 9MM.
    Forget about trying to make a conversion.

As to a .22 top end that is an excellent idea and I have one of those too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow! See, thats why i love this forum. I learn something new every day. Well i have decided that i am going to get a Kimber Custom II. Any problems or suggestions?Open to everything......except picking something different lol. Thanks

COPS Protective Services

JD
    Administrator
    Wow! See, thats why i love this forum. I learn something new every day. Well i have decided that i am going to get a Kimber Custom II. Any problems or suggestions?Open to everything......except picking something different lol. Thanks

Get Tripp Research Cobra mags or Wilson mags, especially if you go 9mm.

wilsons were on the top of the list of things i wanted to make sure i had. Who knows maybe one day i might get froggy and decide to carry it. But i got a while and alot of ammo before that even comes in the picture. Thanks again guys

COPS Protective Services

I had a kimber Stainles II it was flawless I also used a Kimber .22 conversion on it. It was a little pickey about ammo but perfect with High velocity ammo.

Links