Airweight S&W

Airweight S&W

This is a discussion on Airweight S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering, because of the light weight, just how rough these pistols are to shoot? Seems like they would be hard to control, and pretty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airweight S&W

Airweight S&W

I'm wondering, because of the light weight, just how rough these pistols are to shoot? Seems like they would be hard to control, and pretty peppy.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Suprisingly, to me, the recoil is not that bad. Now it does have some spunk but with a good grip and stance very controllable.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Depends...on what round you are shooting.
    You could make it a pleasure or scary...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have seen it blister a soft hand after a box of +p (wood grips)
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

IMO recoil control and sensitivity depends on the shooter. A .38 Airweight has a little snap but it's not uncontrollable. They are meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

With some practice and getting used to, they are controllable, but I'd not shoot .357 mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    I'm wondering, because of the light weight, just how rough these pistols are to shoot? Seems like they would be hard to control, and pretty peppy.
    All the little light .38's do have some recoil! However, you must remember their place as a SD handgun. They are ment to be carried comfortably, and easily, while still giving you the ability to defend yourself in a deadly confrontation. I own three at present, and have owned several down through the years. I have found that with practice they will get the job done. They are "pretty peppy", as you say, but are not that hard to control for me. My wife on the other hand perfers the SP101 stoked with .38's. The heavier weight gives less recoil, but she will not shoot it with .357's, she says it's just too much, and really hurts her hand.
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

I am a fairly new owner of a S&W Model 642 and to be honest I was unable to discern the difference in recoil between the 642 and models 60 & 640; all with the same stock grips and .38 ammo. Since I'd only had experience with semi's before (and very limited experience at that) the challenge with the 642 was getting used to the firing with a short barrel and the heavier trigger weight. I had gun store staff telling me that the kick would be too much and I wouldn't be able to shoot more than 20 rounds at a time - they were suggesting I get a 640 - but I'm very happy with the 642. I am breaking it in with 50 rounds each trip to the range and am finally getting used to the trigger (took 3 trips) and can shoot 5 rounds in a matter of seconds getting COM at 7 yards with no problem. I've now started carrying it and because of the size and weight I have easy and quick options - IWB, pocket, and now SmartCarry.
    Glock 26, Ruger LCR, Glock 19
    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema. "I don't care. If it doesn't rhyme, it isn't a poem."

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Once, while at the range, the man shooting in the next booth asked if I'd like to try his new lightweight revolver.....
    Product: Model 329PD - HIVIZ®
    I notice a 1/2 full box of full-blown 44 mag on the counter and beads of sweat across his forehead.....I smiled and said, "thanks, but no thanks", and went back to my Hammerli Trailslide...no sweat on my brow.....why won't they practice with something that won't hurt so bad...?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

S&W 329 26 oz. empty and it is an N frame..... lightweight ? ....airweight ? Don't think so. My S&W637 weighs 15 oz empty. But I get your point about practicing with a hand cannon and pain. Still......... if that weapon is what makes him feel secure and prepared, then by all means he should practice with that hand cannon until he can hit where he aims. Pain (and sweat) or no pain.

I have a 442 that is rated for +P ammo. It's an accurate little revolver and the recoil is not bad at all with the rubber boot grips that came with the gun.
    U.S. Air Force Veteran
    ISRA Member
    NRA Member
    Smith & Wesson Collectors Association Member #2262

I got an Airweight. It is controllable, but not a "fun to shoot" gun. As others said, it is meant to be an easily concealable self defense gun. In that roll, it is perfect. Just make sure you shoot +P ammo at the range, so you are not surprised if you shoot it in a SD situation.

(I got mine with a laser. I think for these small barrel guns the laser makes a difference)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member

It really is an individual thing

Quote Originally Posted by bameroni View Post
    I had gun store staff telling me that the kick would be too much and I wouldn't be able to shoot more than 20 rounds at a time - they were suggesting I get a 640 - but I'm very happy with the 642.
    This is so individual. Ask me and ask my son, and you get two completely different comments. He is younger (obviously), stronger (by far), and can't stand this for more than a few shots. It doesn't bother me at all.

There is a reason there are so many different makes and models of gun on the market. Different strokes for different folks.

I have a S&W 642 and shot it straight out of the box to qualify for my CWP. I did NOT use +p ammo. I used a good mid-grain and had NO trouble handling it whatsoever. Since, according to the statistics that members quote, most SD encounters occur within 21 feet or less, I think a good mid-grain load is more than sufficient to gain a BG's attention. IMO of course.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

IMO, a great light weight carry option, but... not a range gun... therefore, not a gun I was willing to keep... I believe you need to practice a lot with each before they really become a gun I'm willing to carry.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links