Anyone LIKE a Walther PPK?

This is a discussion on Anyone LIKE a Walther PPK? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 19 and absolutely love it. I plan for it to be my pimary carry as soon as my permit comes through. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone LIKE a Walther PPK?

Anyone LIKE a Walther PPK?

I have a Glock 19 and absolutely love it. I plan for it to be my pimary carry as soon as my permit comes through. Before I bought it I had almost bought a PPK, but rented a Bersa (the range guys said it was closest they had to rent to see how I liked it) and did not like it at all. But I keep thinking of that PPK and I am really considering getting it to have something a bit smaller to carry when the G19 is not the best choice due to clothing. I live in NC and it is hot like most of the year so I need to take that into consideration. (I am originally from western NY so over 80 is blazing to me) Since I have recently joined, I have only seen folks having problems with the PPK. So anyone?

We also have a Ruger P89 and I never have trouble racking the slides on either one.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    PPK is a nice nostalgia piece but has not kept up with the modern advances of the age. If you want a really reliable and concealable Walther I suggest you look long and hard at the PPS 9mm.

BTW: I too am from WNY and 80 is blazing for me too. Get the PPS, you wont regret it.

Administrator
    The PPK has a strong following, but recent manufactured ones are not that great at all. You can get a pistol in the same weight and size or smaller as the PPK in 9mm or 40, so it seems like a waste to me to mess around with a 380.

If you really want a 380 PPK type, I'd buy the Sig 232 long before the Walther.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    The PPK is a nice gun , but heavy . I would suggest a Walther PPS, Kahr , Glock or other similar light weight guns.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I am more concerned with size than weight. I love my Glock 19, but absolutely did not like the 26 I rented, did not feel good in my hand, too short grip. Any other recommendations close to the size/slimness of the PPK?
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

I had a PPK and I did not like the quality. Actually had to send it back to the factory for a meltdown and remake with same serial number...had a letter explaining what they did. Sold it and got into Kimbers.
    The Kimber Ultra (.45) is about the same size and weight as the PPK (.380)...Hmmmmmm...

Stay armed...with something larger than a .380...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for the chart rocky, I like some of the Kahr's on there, will also check the PPS. Looks like another rental trip is in order. Hubby says I can buy another for my Christmas present. (he works overseas and won't be here until 12/29 so I get to pick it up myself)

Maybe I should just suck it up and carry the 19 all the time. :)
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    - Aristotle

Lead Moderator
    No problem. I know when it gets hot here I tend to pick my smaller guns to carry.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The PPK is a gun who's time has passed. It's heavy for it's size, shoots a minimal round, and has a terrible trigger pull. It was way cool in it's day, but there are many better choices today.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar

I own a PPK, bought it a few months ago. It is extremely reliable...either they have fixed all the previous problems or I just got lucky. From what I hear though (and my experience) the current manufacture by S&W is top notch. Previously, the PPK was manufactured in the US by Interarms, which produced them in poor quality resulting in the current bad reputation. My S&W manufacture PPK has fired over 1000 rounds with no failures.

That being said, some of the other reasons others may not like it are still valid. Although it is small, it is also heavier than a plastic frame pistol. The 380acp caliber is less than ideal, though IMO certainly not useless. Only having 7 rounds (6 + 1 in the chamber) is relatively few. The slide also takes a good grip to rack, though I personally do not have a problem with this (I am a large male however). The safety lever is not really a safety but really a decocker, since it is so hard to operate. The double-action trigger pull is extremely long and hard.

It is quite tiny, and despite its shortcomings I do like it

On the other hand, except when size is a huge issue, I would still prefer the Glock.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I love mine, its old, its 32 acp, its french made and I have so many rounds thru it Im no longer consicous of aiming it. I just draw and shoot 7 and have a nice 3 inch group where I want. Can I do that while in a kill or be killed situation?? I dont know and would rather not find that out. Is it a capable caliber? It is if you can shoot it without thinking about it and your 100 percent sure of your shot placement.
    Now do I carry it all the time now? No there are better weapons out there and the one I am trying to be as profcient with is the mp compact in 40sw. (although that j-frame keeps growing on me)
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Kahr MK9 a good alternative

I own a Walther PPK that I've had for about 10 years. It is blued steel, weighs 21 ounces empty, and is extremely flat and concealable. The DA trigger is heavy but the SA trigger is okay. The .380 caliber it uses is a little marginal for defense, but the gun has been reliable and is fairly accurate for a small gun. I keep it as a novelty, rather than for defensive use.

A gun of similar size that is a serious defensive gun is the Kahr MK9, also made of steel and weighing 24 ounces. The MK9 has similar dimensions to the Walther but has an excellent DAO trigger and uses 9mm, a significant caliber. With the right belt holster the MK9 conceals better than almost any other gun I have, and gives me 6+1 rounds with the flush fitting magazine, or 7+1 with the extended magazine that comes with the gun. I much prefer the Kahr for carry applications.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Forget the Walther and purchase a Kahr PM9, you will not be sorry. Just and outstanding CCW weapon in every way.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post

Very nice!!!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links