Defensive Carry banner

A Gun for the Wife

2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  SwollenGoat 
#1 ·
Greetings all,

I asked my wife last night if she was remotely interested in getting her CCW and carrying a pistol. She said "yes". That surprised me. She also stated that not to go overboard in the price of the gun.

So, I need suggestions on what to buy her. I believe she wants a revolver vice a semi-automatic. What is a good revolver that has a value price? Also, what would be a good caliber? I'm thinking a 38 Special. Opinons please.

Thanks,

NavDoc

#2 ·
First, it's nice to see another wife interested in SD...my took 32 years to develop that interest. It took lots of talking and an incident in parking garage (that's another story).

Two points:
You get what you pay for...
Let her pick it out...

You could show her a S&W snubby in .38...it's what my wife started with, but now only carries (once in a while) a KelTec .32 (better than nothing).

Stay armed...get her up to the gun shop...stay safe!

#3 ·
Let her pick it out...
+1

Handguns are a very individual thing, based on a person's hand size, ability to handle recoil, and (for concealed carry) body type and clothing. Give your wife a chance to handle lots of guns and try to find an opportunity for her to shoot the ones she's interested in before buying one. She's the only one who can really figure out whether a particular gun will work for her, not you and certainly not anyone on this forum.

#5 ·
I teach women to shoot and it is a very iffy situation.
That said, most women are comfrotable with DA revolvers. My wife likes a Det Spec, another friend likes het Taurus 85.
But some don't take a shine to revolvers at all and like to get with the boys and carry Glocks, Sigs, High Powers.
Ayoob's wife carries a Glock.
Mine a Det Spec.
My DIL can only handle a Walther P22 because her stupid father thought it was funny to see a 12 year old shoot a 357 Mag.
One of my students carries a High Power with SFS
One of the ladies at LFI ended up with a smaller XD in 9mm.

My suggestion, go to a range, (San Diego has several) rent a snubbie revolver, several autos, and a .22, Start with the 22 and see what she can handle. Then make a deal. She can't defend herself with something she won't use or carry.

#9 ·
My wife likes hers gun, and I like it too... She's got a Sig P232 .

#13 ·
Take her shopping... find a gun store with a range that rents... let her feel different choices in the show room... after picking at least two different models go shoot them... she may find that she really does not want that nice light weight S&W because it hurts when she shoots it, and maybe that heaver revolver or semi-auto shoots better in her hands.

#15 ·
It's a Done Deal

First of all, thank you for your responses.

We went to the local sports store last night to look at gun cabinets/safes. We walked by the gun counter. She stopped and told the clerk that she would like to see a particular pistol. She looked it over, said she like the grip, then told the clerk that she wants it.

The pistol turned out to be a Bersa Thunder .380 CC (Concealed Carry) model. I thought that she would get a revolver.

Needless to say, I'm happy with her choice since it was the weapon I was going to get if I could not find my Kel-Tec P-3AT 380.

Thanks again,

#17 ·
Get her shooting, and work the safety so that it is easy for her to operate.

I thought my wife would like my Bersa Thunder, but during a recent shooting session she absolutely hated it. The safety, decocker and slide were all hard for her to get used to.

So get your wife to the range and get her comfortable with the gun and its operation. There is nothing wrong with the Bersa CC.

:congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.