Kimber SIS Custom range report

This is a discussion on Kimber SIS Custom range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at this pistol when it first came out. I found one for a good price last week and decided to pick it ...

Thread: Kimber SIS Custom range report

Kimber SIS Custom range report

I was looking at this pistol when it first came out. I found one for a good price last week and decided to pick it up. Everything to like about a 1911, and this model seems to have a relatively low MIM content (slidestop and grip safety with the ambi safety a maybe). The MSH is metal and not plastic.
    What I like:
    1. Series 70 means no extraneous pieces,
    2. Trigger job is nice and crisp at a nice 4.5 lbf.,
    3. Night sights are decent,
    4. Grips- texture is good but the overall thickness is a little too much,
    5. Feedramp cut to feed HP reliably,
    6. The carry bevel is very utilitarian and there are no sharp edges on which to cut yourself or to get snagged or tear up your fine holster,
    7. Frontstrap checkering at 30 LPI and MSH serrations at 20 LPI is very comfortable for extended shooting (as opposed to a serrated frontstrap and checkered MSH) and the trigger guard undercut is really comfortable,
    8. Match fitted barrel/bushing with GI guide and plug mean disassembly is simple and easy.

What can be improved:
    1. The finish seems durable yet weak at the same time and the safety and mag release look like I've been using it hard for months (not the case),
    2. These stylized SIS "serrations" are pretty cheesy and add nothing to the functionality of the pistol but don't take away anything from it,
    3. Ambi safety is not my cup of tea and a singlesided safety should be an option.

I switched out the OEM 16# recoil spring to a Wilson 18#. Before shooting, the pistol was detail stripped and thoroughly cleaned.

Break-in range report.

During the session I realized the left side grip panel moved ever so slightly. I was kinda miffed it was loose even though the screw was completely tight. I switched the grips out to my Smith and Alexander rosewood slim grips after cleaning and much prefer their thickness to the thick OEM stocks.

I decided to use the time to test out various loadings and mags. I tested out Wilson 47Ds, CMC Powermags, ACT S&W OEM mags, the OEM KimPro Tacmag (all 8-rounders), and Springer 7-rounders. I really wish I had ordered some Tripp CobraMags in .45 when I ordered my 10mm mags. I was very impressed with the quality of the tubes, springs, and especially the hybrid followers. For ammo, I tried out Golden Saber 185 gr. standard and +P, Golden Saber 230 gr. standard, Federal Tactical pistol 200 gr. +P JHP, Gold Dot 200 gr. +P, Hornady 200 gr. XTP standard, and 230 gr. LRN standard.

300 rounds total (100 hollowpoints and 200 LRN) and no problems. The sights are easy to pick up in the dim range I was shooting. Groups were nice and tight, the gun will shoot very accurately if I do my part. I had an excruciating headache and my vision was blurring but I was having so much fun I had to keep going. I was shooting (2-handed unsupported) some high-visibility 100-yard rifle sight-in multi-targets at 15 yards and was able to keep the rounds in the 2-in. circles without much thought and still in the 3-in. circles at 22 yards. With the 18# spring the +P felt stouter than the standard pressure rounds with just a little more push, but nothing uncontrollable because it was just slightly noticeable. I don't know how much the flat top slide helps in reducing glare or aids sight picture, but it doesn't hurt while at the same time removing a small amount of material from the slide and decreases reciprocating mass.

The beavertail is a highrise design and reasonably well-fitted. Between the trigger guard undercut and the high beavertail, recoil is controlled very easily. I noticed the greatest difference whilst shooting single-handed.

I do know the trigger is as good as what I got my SW1911 (108285) to after some work on it. The Kimber's is a factory trigger job that is very well executed.

The magwell is slightly beveled, but I think I may add and aftermarket magwell just for the tacticool factor. Maybe not.

The finish is holding up pretty well. The slide rails are still coated, as are the slide, bushing, and feedramp.

OVERALL Grade.
    I would have to give this pistol an A. I'm not a brand whore and like to see things objectively. I didn't have any hopes for this pistol one way or the other, I just wanted the combination of features this pistol offered.

Before.

After.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Thanks for the write up. I have been looking at these awhile myself. I haven't shot one yet but I will in the new future.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Is that a series 1 or a series 2 (with the Schwarts safety)?

nevermind, I see series 70. That's good. I'm not a fan of the extra stuff.
    -Biker

VIP Member
    Excellent range report; thanks for sharing!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

JD
    Administrator
    Good write up! I think if I were to buy another Kimber, I'd be looking at the SIS Pro, but I just can't get over the cocking serrations, I have really sweaty hands and I did have issues cycling the slide while just sitting in a gun shop on a warm day.
    That and I think they just look goofy.

I like the other features, I love the fact that the Swartz safety is not present, FYI the only current guns from Kimber without the Series II safety are the SIS guns and the two Warrior variants.

The SIS Pro is one of the few 4" sized guns I can get equipped the way I want off the shelf.

I'd still probably change the rear sight for something more aesthetically pleasing.

Nice gun. I ALMOST picked up one of those in the summer, but opted for an MC Operator instead. bUt, it is a nice looking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Good write up! I think if I were to buy another Kimber, I'd be looking at the SIS Pro, but I just can't get over the cocking serrations, I have really sweaty hands and I did have issues cycling the slide while just sitting in a gun shop on a warm day.
    That and I think they just look goofy.

I like the other features, I love the fact that the Swartz safety is not present, FYI the only current guns from Kimber without the Series II safety are the SIS guns and the two Warrior variants.

The SIS Pro is one of the few 4" sized guns I can get equipped the way I want off the shelf.

I'd still probably change the rear sight for something more aesthetically pleasing.
    But are either of the Warriors available without a rail? I forgot the fact "no rail" is an option is also one of the "pros". The rear sight isn't so big a deal to me, I don't think I'm going to cock it with my boot any time soon but it aids in grip given up by the lame "serrations". I guess it only looks like SIS if you know that's what it is. The best cocking serrations I've seen lately which I like are the wave serrations on the Koenig PC SW1911.
    -Horace

Nice choice of sidearm...nice write-up!

Take care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Nice report.

Kimber makes a nice gun there. I've shot my buddy's Custom Eclipse.
    I think that Kimber needs to offer a 10mm version.

Also..Springfield, like Dan Wesson and even Smith & Wesson need to offer more 10mms.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!
    The year is young and another World Series championship awaits!

Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Nice report.

Kimber makes a nice gun there. I've shot my buddy's Custom Eclipse.
    I think that Kimber needs to offer a 10mm version.

Also..Springfield, like Dan Wesson and even Smith & Wesson need to offer more 10mms.
    They do have 10mm, but I can't find them with fixed sights and non-series II (without firing pin safety).
    -Horace

Links