Question? Making my next carry purchase

This is a discussion on Question? Making my next carry purchase within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I am planning to purchase a new carry gun. I presently carry a Para P-12, one in chamber, cocked and locked. I have ...

Thread: Question? Making my next carry purchase

Hey guys, I am planning to purchase a new carry gun. I presently carry a Para P-12, one in chamber, cocked and locked. I have been considering going to a DAO Para Hi Cap .45ACP. I would like your opinion on, SA (cocked & Locked) or DAO. Is there any advantage for me to go to a DAO, since I have been carrying about five years with a SA. Or should I just stay with the way I carry now and not have to learn anything new?The other choice for SA is the Para Warthog 10rd capacity. This gun is a little smaller than my P-12, so there may be an advantage there. What do you guys think?
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

It really isn't about what we think. It is about what your comfortable carrying, and shoot well with.

If you practice with what you carry, whether it is one, two or three different guns, and are proficient with them, it doesn't matter wether the are SA, or DAO or any combination of either. If when you grab the grip, you know whether you need to remove a safety or just pull the trigger you should do fine.

Oh, and it never hurts to have multiple guns to choose from for carry. The more choices, the more likely you will be to have at least one with you at all times.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

there is a lot to be said for familiarity in what you carry, unless you get an opportunity to practice constatnly with a variety of firearms. Nothing wrong with sticking with what you know though. Your best bet is to run a few rounds through what you are considering first, then make a decision based on comfort, proficiency, and personal likes.

Check trigger pull as this should be different between the two. Also what is the reason for wanting to switch? Change in dress/weather/round count?

Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky View Post
    Check trigger pull as this should be different between the two. Also what is the reason for wanting to switch? Change in dress/weather/round count?
    Actually, no reason. I love my Para P-12, but, just thought I'd buy another Para before they start banning them (government) or some such. I also like the new look of the Para guns. My P-12 shoots real nice and I'd read the Para guns are all just if not more accurate now.
    Stargzer
    MSgt, Ret. USAF
    NRA Life Member

I'd keep what I'm comfortable with...but then, it's always nice to go buy another gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I'd stick with what has worked for you all this time. But Para's LDA trigger is amazing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links