left in the chamber

This is a discussion on left in the chamber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While at a recent range session my MP 9 failed to grab the spent shell to eject it. It was about 2/3 of the way ...

Thread: left in the chamber

left in the chamber

While at a recent range session my MP 9 failed to grab the spent shell to eject it. It was about 2/3 of the way through the magazine when it happened. The slide stayed back like the gun was out of ammo. This is the first problem I've had with this gun but re-affirms to me why I like revolvers for self defense. I don't remember ever having this problem with any semi auto I've owned and if it was dark and in a stressful situation it could have been costly.
    The gun worked perfectly afterward. Has anyone else experienced this problem with a MP?

2. Remove Ads

Being left handed, sometimes when shooting semi-autos the trigger finger can touch the slide stop and engage it. I have also seen right handed shooters using a loose left hand that is supporting the gun also engage the slide stop. On 1911s, a light spring in the plunger tube can allow the slide stop to bounce up during recoil. I am not sure if this is a common problem with other pistols.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    While at a recent range session my MP 9 failed to grab the spent shell to eject it. It was about 2/3 of the way through the magazine when it happened. The slide stayed back like the gun was out of ammo. This is the first problem I've had with this gun but re-affirms to me why I like revolvers for self defense. I don't remember ever having this problem with any semi auto I've owned and if it was dark and in a stressful situation it could have been costly.
    The gun worked perfectly afterward. Has anyone else experienced this problem with a MP?
    Are you saying the slide locked back AND there was a FIRED case
    in the Chamber?

That's TWO SEPARATE Problems.

Revolvers can jam , break parts , and have misfires just like
    any firearm.

Proper maintainence and ammo is always Key, no matter what
    your choice of weapon.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I'm unclear on this too...did it just fail to eject? If so it could be a weak load.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough in the prior post. After re-reading the post I can see where the confusion came from.
    The slide came back and tried to load a fresh round but was stopped when the fresh round hit the spent case in the chamber. The slide was NOT locked back. The spent case was not extracted from the chamber. I could not see anything wrong with the spent case nor the extractor. Thinking about it more now, could the spent case have not been fully removed from the chamber and somehow gotten pushed back into the chamber?
    If this ever happens again, I'm going to spend a lot more time investigating the problem on the spot. I've never had a failure like this where the spent case was left fully in the chamber.
    I hope this clears things up!

Is your M&P new? I got an M&P .40 just after they came out. I had a couple failure to eject/ failure to feeds (honestly, I don't remember if it was one or the the other, or both) when the gun was new. Happened on the first loading of both mags, and again with the first loading of a new mag. I've found that the springs are very, very stiff when they are new and need to be broken in. This could be what caused your problem. If so, leave the mags fully loaded for a week, and try again. If it's not new, then it could be ammo, or a maintenance issue. Either way, clean the gun thoroughly and see how it works out. If it isn't maintenance or the mags, try a different brand of ammo.

I can say that I've put over 4,000 rounds through mine without a hitch (once each mag was broken in - after the first 15 rounds, they were all fine). I usually shoot Monarch ammo, which is really cheap and dirty. Always feeds, always ejects.

Hope this helps.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

me
    I had this happen on my kel-tec 380 when a new shooter limp wristed
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

The gun probably has 300 or so rounds through it using both 17 round mags. I usually load 10 rounds at a time although this time I was loading 12-17 a time. I've used all brands that are available locally with no problems at all except this.

How come you only were loading 10 to start? The fact that you started experiencing the problem when you loaded more than 10 tells me it probably is the mags. As before, I suggest leaving them fully loaded for a week or so before your next range trip. Run your whole session with the fully loaded if possible. See if the problem persists.

Forgot one obvious thing: is there any obvious damage to the extractor?
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I can see no damage to the extractor and the gun has worked fine since the one incident. I have shot fully loaded mags before and after with no problems. I usually don't though, preferring to not deal with sore hands from loading (I'm receiving a mag loader for my birthday). Also, shooting 10 at a time saves me ammo and stretches out my range time.
    I will try your suggestion of filling the mags about a week in advance.
    I'm not sure I'll ever know the exact cause of the problem if it is only a one time occurrence and that would be fine with me.
    AKsrule's remark (Revolvers can jam , break parts , and have misfires just like any firearm. Proper maintenance and ammo is always Key, no matter what your choice of weapon)
    I agree with that statement. Anything mechanical can fail. However, I've shot revolvers for many years now and haven't experienced a single failure. Maybe I'm just revolver lucky!

Thanks all for the advice, its appreciated!

If you haven't had any problems since this incident - did you ever think that it may have been an ammunition problem? Even the same ammo from lot to lot can vary enough to cause malfunctions in some finicky gun.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I've seen this happen in the range's rental Ruger Mk. II. It's always incredibly dirty and is totally worn out. Great way to practice malfunction clearing.

I've noticed that in some guns gunk (carbon?) builds up under the extractor when they're dirty enough. If you're concerned about this you might pick a gun from a manufacturer like Sig or Glock that has a reputation for being bomb-proof. My Sig has never failed to extract, even with really terrible ammo through it.

Links