My S&W lemon squeezer,and have questions (Merged)

This is a discussion on My S&W lemon squeezer,and have questions (Merged) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I got my new to me S&W model 42 lemon squeezer today and its the airweight version of the model 40 lemon squeezer. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well I got my new to me S&W model 42 lemon squeezer today and its the airweight version of the model 40 lemon squeezer. My questions are do after market j-frame grips fit this gun? I've heard some yes and others say no which is it,anyone here have one of these that they changed the grips on? Also is a very limited(and I mean very limited say one of two cylinders to see where its hitting)use of +p ammo okay in this gun?

I ask only because I have a few boxes of winchester 158gr +p LSWC HP's and was wondering if I can carry them until my order for the same load in standard pressure can be had from buffalo bore. Could one of two of these rounds being fired from this gun lord forbid if need be damage the gun at all?

1943 - 2009
    Yes, any "J" frame stocks will work on your model 42, as long as they don't cover the backstrap.

Your Model 42 is NOT +P rated. I recommend standard pressure .38 Special only, but it's up to you. I have owned several Airweight Smiths, including a couple of Model 42s, and never fired +P in any of them.

I also recommend that you closely inspect the underside of the top strap and the forcing cone under a strong light for cracks.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I fondled a 40 the other day. The barrel was marked +p. My normal grip would not depress the grip safety. Odd since I carry a 640 half the time.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I fondled a 40 the other day. The barrel was marked +p. My normal grip would not depress the grip safety. Odd since I carry a 640 half the time.
    What you "fondled" was the new Model 40-1 that is built on the all steel "J Magnum" frame, which is +P rated.

S&W introduced the J Magnum frame, in both alloy and steel, in 1996. All .38 Special "J" frames produced since then are +P rated.

The OP's Model 42 is an alloy frame, last produced in 1974. Again, it is NOT +P rated.

Comparing the new Model 40-1 to the old Model 42 is comparing apples to oranges.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

All you need is a Fedora!!

Nice Roscoe..........."OLD SCHOOL" Rules!! All these revolver posts..I'm getting the "bug" for a BUG! I MISS my 36,60 and 640!! WARNING: IF YOU HAVE A J-FRAME SMITH..........KEEP IT!!!
    Think my next gun will be a No-Lock 642 or 442
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

1911luver,

Yes, it's true, Smith will officially repeat that same caution about using +P ammo in YOUR Model 42. I personally, however, have successfully, and without APPARENT damage, judiciously fired "several" cylinders' full of the same "FBI" round of which you speak in MY vintage Model 38 (the AirWeight version of the Bodyguard revolver)!

1943 - 2009
    ^^ There's the key word: "apparent".

Bears repeating:

I also recommend that you closely inspect the underside of the top strap and the forcing cone under a strong light for cracks.
    I would do this every time after firing +P ammo. But I'm cautious by nature.

Remember, a cracked early model airweight frame can't be repaired by S&W. They don't make 'em any more.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I sure like your Model 42 1911luver.

I'd feel well armed with standard velocity semi wadcutters in a .38 Special such as that one.

Your gun is definitely not +P rated. Here's nice NIB Model 42 to drool over.
    U.S. Air Force Veteran
    ISRA Member
    NRA Member
    Smith & Wesson Collectors Association Member #2262

Get yourself a Tyler-T-Grip and you'll be good to go with the grip thats on it.

Google it!
    "Hollow Points,-For Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

I know my gun isn't +p rated but if I were to keep the cylinder loaded with the winchester 158gr. +p LSWCHP for defense purposes only,would this present a problem if the gun was ever needed for defense? i.e. could it would it break something and disable the gun? Do you feel five rounds if ever needed will damage anything? I ask this as I'm going to order this load in standard pressure flavor from buffalo bore tomorrow,but the +p version is all I have on tap right now.

I've checked my four local gun shops and walmart and the only .38 special JHP ammo they have in stock is all +p. I guess this is because every .38 special gun now a days is +p rated. thanks for any input guys.

S&W model 42?

I know my gun isn't +p rated but if I were to keep the cylinder loaded with the winchester 158gr. +p LSWCHP for defense purposes only,would this present a problem if the gun was ever needed for defense? i.e. could it would it break something and disable the gun? Do you feel five rounds if ever needed will damage anything? I ask this as I'm going to order this load in standard pressure flavor from buffalo bore tomorrow,but the +p version is all I have on tap right now.

I've checked my four local gun shops and walmart and the only .38 special JHP ammo they have in stock is all +p. I guess this is because every .38 special gun now a days is +p rated. thanks for any input guys.

+P

Probably +p won't hurt it. For good non +P ammo, you usually have to special order. This place has all the popular standard loads:
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    Winchester Silvertip, Remington SJHP, and Federal Hydra Shok standard loads, all in 110gr weights. The Glaser blue and silver are available in 80gr weights if that's your thing (and if you're loading 158gr now, it probably isn't) They have the new Fiocchi loads with the XTP, but I doubt that will expand at all from a snub at standard velocities.

Administrator
    "Do you feel five rounds if ever needed will damage anything?"

5 rounds - Very likely not.

However regularly shooting +P will greatly increase wear & tear on your revolver and will cause the firearm to "shoot loose" which could be a potentially dangerous situation.

When your wheel-gun eventually goes "out of time" you must then have the firearm promptly overhauled and rebuilt by a qualified gunsmith due to the highly accelerated wear. That can be an expensive proposition.

The real problem with just carrying your firearm with +P is that you will not be practicing your self-defensive shooting with the same ammo that you'll be carrying to protect your life.

And that's not really a great idea.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    I know my gun isn't +p rated but if I were to keep the cylinder loaded with the winchester 158gr. +p LSWCHP for defense purposes only,would this present a problem if the gun was ever needed for defense? i.e. could it would it break something and disable the gun? Do you feel five rounds if ever needed will damage anything?
    I suppose one should never say never, but I think it is highly unlikely that a cylinder-full of +P ammunition used for self-defense is going to damage your revolver. As long as you practice with the standard stuff, you should be fine. And, if you do need to use it in self-defense, and its use saves your life or the lives of those you have a right to protect, you'll still treasure it even if it does break and you can never use it again.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links