Advice on carry weapon....

This is a discussion on Advice on carry weapon.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first thread on this site and I wanted to get everyone's take on good carry weapons. I love Sig's and was finally ...

Thread: Advice on carry weapon....

This is my first thread on this site and I wanted to get everyone's take on good carry weapons.

I love Sig's and was finally able to get one in Dec. I got the P239 in 9mm. It will be my primary "carry" weapon for now. But, I am always looking for another potential carry gun and I don't want to be closed to just Sig's.

My other gun is a Bersa Thunder .380 Duo tone. i haven't heard much about this gun and I would like to get some feedback.

What do you more experienced shooters think about my selections since I am 21 y/o and a novice at this?

Also, what are the best methods of carry in spring and summer when we don't have the luxury of wearing a coat?

-John

Administrator

Here Is A Nice Little Web Article On The Bersa Thunder

I found it on the web a little while back & just found it again fer ya.

April 23, 2004
    PRODUCT REVIEW: BERSA THUNDER .380
    Want to know how this little beauty shoots?

Okay, I'll tell you. But first there's some backstory.

The German gun firm of Walther introduced a small pistol in 1932 that was to be very influential. Called the PP for "Police Pistol", it was a small and flat gun that was just perfect for concealed carry.

This wasn't anything new. There had been small hideout pistols in the past, guns that were supposed to be carried in a free pocket. But most of them were chambered for frighteningly underpowered cartridges. The PP was the first small pocket pistol that was chambered for a round that was actually adequate for defense, the .380 ACP. Eventually Walther made some changes to the gun and called it the PPK.

So many gun firms have pretty much followed the Walther lead. One of them is Bersa, which is the brand name for a South American company.

Yesterday, I had an opportunity to try out the Bersa Thunder .380, a small pocket pistol that very closely resembles the Walther PPK.
    It had been bought at a gun show for $200 USD when most new examples cost $250 or so.
    One of my fellow shooters pointed out signs of wear in the bluing, which convinced me that we were dealing with a gently used surplus gun. After a quick disassembly I could see that the interior parts were like new, which shows that the owner made a really good buy.

One of the problems with Walther PP's and PPK's is that they tend to bite the hand during recoil. It's a rare person who can fire 100 rounds through one of them without feeling any discomfort.
    But Bersa has largely engineered this problem away. The grip was comfortable, with an over sized beaver~tail along the back to protect the hand from the recoiling slide. The back~strap was pronounced, providing a firmer grip on the little gun.
    I'd have to say that it's one of the most comfortable blow back pistols I've ever shot.

It's been said that we are forged in our experiences, and I'm no different. I was very wary of the gun for the first two shots, waiting to see if I'd get bitten like I do when I shoot PPK's. Since I wasn't paying close attention to my sight picture, my aim was off. After I was convinced that the gun was a comfortable shooter I settled down and worked on accuracy.

Let me tell you guys, I was amazed! How does a 1 inch group at 20 feet sound? And shot off-hand by someone who never shot a Bersa .380 before?

This doesn't mean that you're going to suddenly become a fantastic shot if you pick up one of these babies. I was just having a good day. But it does go to show that the gun is capable of the medium range shots as well as the close up emergencies. That's very rare in a gun this size, and it's impossible to find in a gun that's as inexpensive.

If you're looking for a pocket pistol for CCW in hot weather, I say take a look at the Bersa Thunder .380.
    You can't do much better and you could certainly do much worse.
    Posted by James Rummel

Last edited by QKShooter; January 7th, 2006 at 10:45 AM.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I don't own a P239 but have been more than pleased with the SIG-Sauer P225 9mm and P220 .45 ACP. Hopefully others here will be able to give you their observations on the model you mentioned.

Though I don't carry it, I do have a .380 Duo-Tone such as the one you mentioned and I think it's a peach of a gun, especially for the price. I've had good luck with mine. If interested, here are some observations on the little Bersa:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MakarovBersa.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/S...er%20Bersa.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Bersa%20Thunder.htm

Best.

Wow, I had no clue what I had a hold of. I just got this gun last week and haven't had time to go out to the range yet. I can't wait. Mabye it will make me look like a pro! Plus, any other advice on carry methods in the spring and summer are welcome. Thanks!

-John

I have a Bersa 380 Thunder and I love it. I don't put as many rounds through it as my Glock, but it still performs without a hitch. Since it has an external thumb safety, I put a ClipDraw on it and carry it at the front (when I do). I like that set up.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Not having owned a SIG or a Bersa I can't really add anything to what the others have said...

As far as carry goes, I use an IWB holster (Sparks Summer-Special) with an untucked shirt. It doesn't really matter what type of shirt (t-shirt, polo, button-down, etc.) just find one that's loose enough so that it doesn't "print" and long enough to fully cover the gun if you lean over or something (you'll probably want something underneath to keep the holster from chafing your skin, tank-top, UnderArmor, etc.). A vest also works well as a cover garment although some people feel that a vest "shouts" gun.

Oh, on the shirt thing...I've found that dark colors and shirts with a pattern help break up the outline or bulge of the gun, I also usually use a black undershirt so that if the cover shirt moved enough to expose the gun it wouldn't stand out (black gun, black shirt...limited contrast to draw the eye).

Just my $0.02
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jlichlyt
    This is my first thread on this site and I wanted to get everyone's take on good carry weapons.

I love Sig's and was finally able to get one in Dec. I got the P239 in 9mm. It will be my primary "carry" weapon for now.
    You have got a sweet weapon there. The only folks I've seen that didn't like a 239 were all left handed, and had trouble with the controls.

My other gun is a Bersa Thunder .380 Duo tone. i haven't heard much about this gun and I would like to get some feedback.
    Usually what you will hear is that the .380 is under powered, and the minimum you should carry is 9mm. I've always believed you can carry a .22, as long as you know where to place the shot, and can do it. Looks like you have a good weapon in the Bersa.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

You have done well, in short order,, the SIG is an excellent medium size for packing,and the Bersa is a real sleeper, it was one of the few to be approved, in my department for off duty carry...

The only problems noted with the Bersa, where with the early model 85's,, you had to be carefull of the slide lock/ take down,, it could flip and allow you to reassembe, there by locking the slide to the frame,,, requiring a trip to the smith...

Take your time and practice with both,, DA/SA takes a little time to get used to.

Assistant Administrator
    I'll endorse the SIG, although I have and carry bigger brother! I expect that gun will please you immensely.

As for Bersa - well, I have had one some while now and not so long ago transitioned my wife to it for her carry - she was really not managing well enough with the snub.

It is now ''her'' gun to all intents but I put quite a lot of ammo thru before this and found it excellent. Now it is ''in service'' I am confident in the gun and also now she is proficient with it, my wife's ability to exploit it. A friend of ours I also started off on the platform at the same time - so ''the girls'' had range time together as I trained them up.

I would suggest - IMO - carry FMJ ammo in Bersa - I do not feel there is any advantage to HP's as expansion probably unlikely - and over penetration with ball not too risky. Plus - gun function even more reliable with ball ammo I think.

As for carry - well, I am lucky to have choice all the time on what I wear - so in max summer heat I resort when out to a Smith and Alexander vest - it is not as obvious a carry garment as some vests but does a grand job - and gets used when biking too.

Other option is very thin, longish and unbuttoned shirt. I only use OWB. As for ''best'' for you - that will depend quite simply on your options and what works. Even pocket carry with Bersa may be needed or resort to fanny pack - just find a way, so you can carry all times possible.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    sounds like a pair of good pistols. Now get reallly good with em. Better a 1st rate shooter with a 3rd rate gun than the other way around.

I won't address the pistols since I have limited exposure to both.

As far as carry methods, make sure you buy a quality belt and holster, regardless of the style you choose. This is not the place to pinch pennies.

Personally, I prefer leather over Kydex.

Have a look at at holster section on this and other forums - you'll find some good information.

Good luck.

SSKC

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    As far as carry methods, make sure you buy a quality belt and holster, regardless of the style you choose. This is not the place to pinch pennies.

SSKC
    Well stated!

Everyone, stay away from Wild Bill's Concealment(don't go through what I'm still going through)!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    Excellent advice, I forgot to mention this...
    My current gun-belt is from Milt Sparks. Expensive? A little, but with this belt and a holster that has the proper size belt-slots it's rock-solid. Do yourself a favor and buy good quality stuff, the $10.99 belt from wally world, and the $15 nylon holster from your favorite bargain basement are not the way to go.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

You have 2 very nice pistolos there in both the Sig and Bersa. If you plan to carry one or both, then practice is the key! Practice, practice, practice!!! You can carry a .22 pistol or a .500 S&W, neither of them do you any good if you can't hit your target! Practice as often as you can! Dry fire when you have the chance and "think out" situations when you are just hanging out.

Whichever piece you decide to carry, or carry both, make sure you practice and are comfortable with the ammo you intend to keep loaded when you carry. A minimum of about 200 rounds is what you want to shoot through the piece you intend to carry. Getting into the self-defense ammo at $10 or more for a box of 20 may sound steep, but what's your life worth? Make sure your carry ammo functions FLAWLESSLY in your handgun before you strap it on.

A failure on the range is a learning experience. A failure on the street could be your life. Make sure your gun and ammo are in love with each other! A gun that goes "BOOM!" when you expect it to go "CLICK!" may not be nearly as deadly as a gun that goes "CLICK!" when you expect it to go "BOOM!".
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Sponsored Links