Glock 30 for CCW?

This is a discussion on Glock 30 for CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really love my Glock 19, and the husband wants me to try a .45, so tell me what you love or do not like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 30 for CCW?

Glock 30 for CCW?

I really love my Glock 19, and the husband wants me to try a .45, so tell me what you love or do not like about the G 30? I am planning to buy something in a week or 2 so am trying to get lots of info. I do plan to rent one and try it out as well.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

APPROXIMATELY the same size as the G19, but with a bigger bore, the G30 is one of the, if not the most, accurate models in the Glock stable. What's NOT to like?

I did look at the tech specs and saw that the 19 and 30 are very close in size, that is what got me interested in it. I am almost positive I will be buying it.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

I owned one (G30), it shot and worked fine but it is thicker
    than I liked
    It was harder for me to get my hand around than
    the G19s I have owned and
    it felt like I was going to drop it when I was firing it
    It's harder to conceal than a your G19 IMO
    because its thicker
    I sold it and got a G36 (.45cal)and it works better
    for me
    it (G36) is so close to the G19 in size that it
    fits in my holsters I had for the G19
    I guess what I'm saying is if you like the G19
    go for the G36 as it is just like it in size.
    it hold 6 rounds in the mag and 1 in the gun
    for a total of 7.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Incredibly easy to control, highly accurate, extremely reliable. See thread earlier this week about suggested upgrades--extended magazine release and extended slide lock release that might make your training and operation easier if your hands are smaller. Suggest the 30 over 30SF.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

I really like the 30...Ive carried a 19 for many years and I just keep going back to it. This is really a mater of what you like best. You simply can't go wrong with either 16 rounds of 9mm or 11 rounds of .45ACP...Both are excellent guns but for me the 19 is a "better" fit and I feel that the 30 doesn't really have much to offer as a CCW piece. Again, this is only my opinion and what works for me. But I would certainly suggest buying one! :) The other thing I like about the 19 is that I can afford to shoot it that much more due to the cost of ammo. ~$200/k vs ~$300/k The 30 is consistantly described as one of the most accurate glocks and one of the softest shooting .45s around. :)

I like my G30, and carry it fairly often.

It does have a rather chunky grip--a lot more so than a G19. While the G30SF helps a little bit in this area...it's still a brick. You may want to try a G36, which has very similar dimensions to your G19.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

btw, I've also added the Pachmayr Grip Model 5 to the G30, feels nice.
    Example here
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right. - Learned Hand

My main carry gun is the G30. I like the size and the caliber. I have all the glock 9mm, .40 and .45 models. the G30 is my favorite for personal defense. i love the .45 acp, the G30 fits my hand, it is accurate and controllable for a small package .45, it functions, I TRUST it.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by purpledragon View Post
    I really love my Glock 19, and the husband wants me to try a .45, so tell me what you love or do not like about the G 30? I am planning to buy something in a week or 2 so am trying to get lots of info. I do plan to rent one and try it out as well.
    Tell your husband to leave your choice of sidearm alone.

I've revently had a conversation with a guy who took a 10mm to the back of the head and 3 9mm to the body; and another who took a 9mm to the face and 4 more 9 or 38 slugs to the legs.

Stopping power is a matter of placement. When it comes to service pistols, 9mm is no better or worse than anything else.

If he has 45ACP on the brain, he can carry it, but should leave your choice of weapon alone.

Carry the Glock 19, and no food or anything else for him till he appologizes with a diamond (or a ruby...rubys are nice...and gold...)to you for bothering you about your gun.

I have carried a glock 30 and a glock21 for years. The 30 for me is very easy to conceal and very dependable and controllable. The g21 is the smoothest 45 cal I have ever shot a little harder to carry but still easy I've been carrying these gun for around 9 years and no one has ever made me. The 30 is a great choice.

My G30 was a great shooting gun, but it felt like holding a brick. I don't care what the measurement spec sheets say, it feels MUCH thicker than my G19 and 32. I sold it since I didn't like the feel.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My G30 was a great shooting gun, but it felt like holding a brick. I don't care what the measurement spec sheets say, it feels MUCH thicker than my G19 and 32. I sold it since I didn't like the feel.
    + a BUNCH

For me I found it harded to conceal then my G19. It just set on the side of my body like a 2X4 where the G19 would melt into my body and was unnoticeable

no food or anything else for him till he appologizes
    BTW If he goes without so do you. Never worked for me as I was/am a better cook then she is and for the other??

My 30 shoots very well. I've carried it, but I find myself going back to my 27 because it is more comfortable for all day carry. A friend of mine has a 36 but wants a 30. We might trade. I had a 36 that had some issues. If my friends is in good shape I'll be good to go because my 36 was my favorite off duty carry gun.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

The G30 is my primary carry. It is thick and you need to have longer fingers. It is thick, not every holster will make it comfortable and concealable. Did I mention it was thick? That said, if you can work around the thickness you'll have one of the most formidable, reliable, accurate, and smooth shooting large caliber self defense handguns on the market. The miracle holster that finally worked for me (after trying and buying many that did not work) is the Bagmaster IWB worn at appendix or 3 o'clock. The G30 disappears and the holster is the most comfortable of any I've tried. In addition it is cheap but not cheaply made. It is nylon but offers one handed reholstering. It won't outlast a leather holster but you can buy 3 Bagmasters for the price of one leather. When you carry a G30 comfort and concealability ARE factors-the Bagmaster succeeds...
    BAGMASTER - Quality Bags, Cases and Holsters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links