Carry weapon of choice

This is a discussion on Carry weapon of choice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Well I don't know how many times posts like this have been posted but I couldn't find anything when I did a search. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry weapon of choice

Carry weapon of choice

Hi
    Well I don't know how many times posts like this have been posted but I couldn't find anything when I did a search. I have been carrying for years and the oh say the last 9years I've carried Glocks G30 and the G21 I like 45's. I have recently started getting into 1911's And purchased a Kimber pro raptor II and a Springfield loaded. Both very nice and very accurate I have a 1000 rds thru each, without any problems. I want to start carrying those now instead of glocks and the feeling of the darn things not going bang when I want them too is almost as bad as a neggy women. How long does it take to get comfortable with a different platform? Is there some opinions on the reliability of the 1911 and glocks? When I strip down my 1911's there simple and look like they couldn't fail. Thanks a head of time for all your constructive replies!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Whenever I switch, I'll go take a high speed class over a long weekend asap. That allows me to learn the gun in a short period of time and the gun to prove itself to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My carry pistol of choice is my M&P FS. Accurate goes bang every time
    John

NRA Life Member
    TSRA

I like the p7 series pistols for the safety factor, not to mention they shoot darn good

Ongoing discussion (posted as a "sticky"): click.

If you do an Advanced Search where title=carry and posts=20 (or greater), you'll find several prior threads where folks described what they carry.

Me: CZ P-01 9mm semi-auto, two 14rd spare magazines, IWB holster from Fist; NAA Guardian 380, two 6rd spare magazines, pocket holster from Mitch Rosen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Carry the best quality gun you can afford in the platform that feels good to you. It takes a while to switch platforms, but guys shoot multiple styles all the time. It takes considerable practice to be comfortable with more than one. My truck and my Harley handle completely different with totally incompatible controls, but I traverse the same roads with both.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I love my 1911s and I love my Glocks. I carry both a G19 and soon my commander 1911. The thing is, the 1911 takes more care to keep reliable. meaning regular checks of springs and the like. More oil, more care against rust.

The Glock, well...it's a Glock. Relatively inexpensive, utterly reliable, and as accurate as you'd need for defense. The thing that made me fall in love with the 1911 is the trigger. Crisp and light. Glock's trigger is mushy, but hey...it goes bang each time you pull it.

The 1911 shoots more accurate out of my hands too.

You have to decide what you like. I like a .45acp round a lot more than a 9mm, but my Glock are 9mm only and shall forever remain so.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

My favorite large caliber is the XD-45c in 45 ACP. My favorite small gun the Kel-Tec 380.
    Look for a range that rents guns and try different kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    How long does it take to get comfortable with a different platform?
    That depends on how much you practice and your apptitude for adapting to a new platform.

Is there some opinions on the reliability of the 1911 and glocks?
    There's more opinon on this than you want to hear. My personal take is that the Glock is more reliable in it's factory state than a 1911 is(Owner of both). Of course not all 1911s are created equal so that is a vast generalization.

When I strip down my 1911's there simple and look like they couldn't fail. Thanks a head of time for all your constructive replies!
    A firearm is a mechanical device and any one of them can fail. They are well built and John Browning's design has stood the test of time. Over 100 years later it's still in service and one of the most popular guns for defense and shooting sports. That said, the Glock, even though the design is far younger has developed a great reputation and a cult like following of it's own. I personally have drank the kool-aid from both camps and so have you so it sounds.

My word of advice with switching to the 1911 is make sure yours is 100% reliable and train, train, train... and then train some more.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Looking to get away from Glock in the 45acp? Give SIG a try. I did, and I don't think I'll ever look back. My 9's and 40's? Glock of course! They just couldn't come through for me in the 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Looking to get away from Glock in the 45acp? Give SIG a try. I did, and I don't think I'll ever look back. My 9's and 40's? Glock of course! They just couldn't come through for me in the 45.
    G36!!!

If you have a thousand rounds through each without a problem, where is the concern?

Firearms can fail, but it is most often operator error (Mag not seated, Dirty/ dry gun) second being mechanical (Bad Mag, broken extractor).

Keep your firearm well maintained,using Gunzilla of course (what a shameless plug) Know and pratice your failure drills and reloads, and stay in good enough shape to UA the AO if needed.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Guns are individuals - hard to generalize

Both are very nice and very accurate - I have 1000 rds thru each, without any problems. I want to start carrying those now instead of Glocks and the feeling of the darn things not going bang when I want them too is almost as bad as a naggy woman. How long does it take to get comfortable with a different platform? Are there some opinions on the reliability of the 1911s and Glocks?
    I'd agree with the poster above who said that if you have 1000 rounds through each 1911 with no problems, you shouldn't be concerned. That is the only real test - to put enough rounds through the individual gun you are considering, and see what happens.

I have 2 Glocks and maybe 8 1911s, and each one is an individual. The Glocks have run perfectly for about 10 years, and I trust them completely. The 1911s are a mix - some have been perfect and some will have the occasional stovepipe or feed jam. For range use I tolerate the occasional jam, but any gun for defense must have a perfect record or I would not use it. One that has been perfect, by the way, is a Kimber Pro CDP similar to your Kimber Pro Raptor. I do trust mine and will carry it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I have two EDC's...one for the Harley, and one at any other time.

The two are very different, different grip angles, different take down, but both are .45's.
    My Harley gun is the Glock-36, any other time I carry my Kimber Ultra CDP II.
    My point is that you can feel comfortable with both...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

45 change over

I went from a S&W 442 (10 yrs) to a New Colt Agent. I have always had and fired 1911's but have only carried on a regular basis as CCW for about 2 yrs now. The 45 is easier to conceal. The hardest part to get used to was the Cocked and Locked procedure. That took the longest. Very comfortable now.
    If your not willing to go the distance, don't join the race

Colt New Agent, Commander, Gov.
    Kimber Custom II, Ultra II
    S&W 442, 60, 686, 19, 29
    Ruger LCP, SP101, XD9sub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links